City commissioners are scheduled to advance plans for a new wastewater treatment plant on the Wakarusa River by issuing a request for proposals to engineering firms interested in designing the facility.
The project is expected to be one of the larger projects in the city's history, with a price tag upward of $80 million. The project is needed, in part, because there have been estimates that the city's sewer system will run out of capacity by 2011 if new treatment facilities aren't added. City officials expect the plant to be completed by 2010.
- proclaim April as Parkinson's Disease Awareness Month
- proclaim April as Fair Housing Month
- approve City Commission meeting minutes of March 15 meeting
- receive minutes from various boards and commissions
- approve all claims
- approve drinking establishment licenses for: Jade Mongolian Barbeque, 1511 W. 23rd St.; 75th Street Brewery, 3512 Clinton Parkway, and Vermont Street BBQ, 728 Mass. Approve retail liquor license for Harper Corner Liquor Store & Spirits, 2220 Harper St. Approve street vendor license for Craig Nowatzke to sell hot dogs, candy and soft drinks at the northeast corner of Ninth and Massachusetts streets
- bid and purchase items:
a.) authorize the city manager to execute an agreement with New Horizons Computer Learning Center for onsite computer software training classes with a cost not to exceed $590 per day
b.) award bid for the Kaw Water Treatment Plant warehouse roof project to Diamond Everly Roofing for $20,710
c.) award bid for one backhoe for the utilities department to Victor L. Phillips for $60,633
- declare an emergency and adopt on first and second reading an ordinance establishing the city of Lawrence governing body quorum at four members
- adopt following ordinances on second and final reading:
a.) ordinance rezoning 8.24 acres from M-1 Research Industrial to PRD-2 Planned Residential Development. Property is located at 4500 West Bob Billings Parkway.
b.) ordinance rezoning 0.858 acres from RS-1 Single Family to RM-D Duplex. Property is located at 1017 E. 23rd St.
c.) ordinance rezoning 2.34 acres from C-4 General Commercial and RS-1 Single Family to C-4 General Commercial. The property is located at 1045 E. 23rd St.
d.) ordinance rezoning 1 acre from A-1 Suburban Home to RS-1 Single Family. Property is located at 810 Minn.
e.) ordinance establishing contractor licensing regulations
f.) ordinance establishing the board to oversee contractor licensing program
- adopt resolution authorizing the sale of $21 million in revenue bonds for water and wastewater improvements
- receive a draft of the Hillcrest, Old West Lawrence, Pinckney district plan. The study area is bounded by Alabama, Fifth, Seventh and California streets.
- approve use permitted upon review for expansion of Princeton Children's Center at 3340 Peterson Road. The proposal will allow the center to accommodate 58 additional children.
- approve preliminary development plans subject to conditions and use restrictions for:
a.) Hutton Farms West, 159-unit residential development on 38.4 acres north of Peterson Road and east of Monterey Way.
b.) Phase V of the Target PCD for the construction of a retail building at 221 W. 31st St. between Back Yard Burgers, 2351 W. 31st St., and Steak 'N Shake, 3111 Nieder Road.
- receive recommendation from Lawrence-Douglas County Planning Commission for approval of Commercial Design Standards.
- authorize the issuance of a request for proposals to engineering firms for design services related to a new wastewater treatment plant.