Some key provisions of Bill Self's contract with the Kansas University Athletic Corp. Self is the university's head basketball coach. The contract is through April 20, 2008.
Annual salary: $129,380 to be paid in 12 equal monthly installments. That's about $10,782 per month.
Key performance incentives:
One month's extra salary for meeting each of the following goals:
- Winning a Big 12 tournament championship.
- NCAA Tournament participation.
- Winning 25 or more games in a season.
- Reaching the Sweet 16.
- Reaching the Final Four.
Two months' extra salary for meeting the following:
- Team achieves 60 percent annual graduation rate.
- Winning a Big 12 regular-season championship.
Three months' extra salary for winning an NCAA championship.
The incentive payments are cumulative. For example, if the team wins 25 games and advances to the Final Four, Self would receive four months' additional salary or about $43,128.
Other benefits and compensation:
- At least $350,000 per year for Nike endorsements.
- At least $250,000 per year from basketball camps.
- A $2 million life insurance policy.
- Use of two cars.
- 50 tickets for each home men's basketball game.
- Use of a scholarship suite at Memorial Stadium.
- Membership dues, green fees and expenses at Lawrence Country Club and Alvamar Country Club.
- A $400,000 per year services contract with BCLT LLC, an Illinois limited liability company, for Bill Self's multimedia services.
- A $600,000 after-taxes retention incentive accrued in annual increments of $120,000 over a five-year period and paid in 2008.
In addition, the university paid $500,000 plus any remaining tax burden to buy out Self's remaining contract with the University of Illinois and six months of mortgage payments on Self's home in Illinois as a relocation benefit.