With the city set to celebrate its 150th birthday Saturday, the Journal-World is taking a look at early-day life in Lawrence:
The hill that houses Kansas University has been referred to as Mount Oread from the beginning of the city of Lawrence, David Dary writes in "Lawrence: An Informal History."
The first group of settlers from the New England Emigrant Aid Company camped atop the hill on Aug. 1, 1854, before they made their final settlement to the north, along the Kansas River.
Ferdinand Fuller of Worcester, Mass., inscribed "Mount Oread" on his tent, after Oread Seminary in Worcester, which was founded by Eli Thayer. Thayer had organized the New England Emigrant Aid Company.