The horror film "Carnival of Souls" will provide a perfect Halloween accompaniment when it screens Sunday at Liberty Hall. The 1962 horror film, written by John Clifford and directed by the late Herk Harvey, was shot predominantly in Lawrence and has become a cult classic.
Clifford will be on hand for the 7:30 p.m. showing (it plays again at 11 p.m.) to discuss the film's legacy. His original 35mm print is being unshelved for the event. The screening is a benefit for Watkins Community Museum of History. Tickets are $13.
Here are some other entertainment options for the weekend:
- Pilot Club of Lawrence Antique Show and Sale, 10 a.m.-6 p.m. today and 11 a.m.-4 p.m. Sunday, Building 21, Douglas County 4-H Fairgrounds, 21st and Harper streets, 843-6219 or (785) 594-6524.
- Magazine launch reception: "Kansas City Voices," 2 p.m.-4 p.m. today, Central Resource Library, 9875 W. 87th St., Overland Park, (913) 495-2466.
- Concert and Auction, 6:30 auction, 8 p.m. concert, today, H&R Block City Stage, Union Station, 30 W. Pershing Road, Kansas City, Mo., (816) 831-2131.
- Benefit for Watkins Museum: Film: "Carnival of Souls," 7:30 p.m. and 11 p.m. Sunday, Liberty Hall, 642 Mass., 749-1972.
- Ghost Hunt, 1 p.m.-4 p.m. today, Toy and Miniature Museum of Kansas City, 5235 Oak St., Kansas City, Mo., (816) 333-2055.
- Documentary film: "Music of the Devil, the Bear, and the Condor," 2 p.m. today, Spencer Museum of Art, 1301 Miss., 864-4710.
- "From Kansas to Yonder and Back: 50 years of photojournalism," through Sunday, Image Point Gallery, 1515 Grand Blvd., Kansas City, Mo., (816) 474-4401.
- "The Tall Tale of Pecos Bill," 2 p.m. today and Sunday, Theatre for Young America, 5909 Johnson Drive, Mission, (913) 831-2131.
- "Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde, 2 p.m. today and Sunday, The Coterie Theatre, 2450 Grand Blvd. #144, Kansas City, Mo., (816) 474-6552.
- Inge Theatre Series: "Lysistrata," by Aristophanes, 5 p.m. and 8 p.m. today, William Inge Memorial Theatre, Murphy Hall, KU campus, 864-3982.
- "The Art of Conquering Aja," presented by The Borogove Theatre, 5 p.m. and 8 p.m. today, Ecumenical Christian Ministries, 1204 Oread Ave., tickets available at door.
- Frankenstein, 6 p.m. dinner, 8 p.m. show, today, Topeka Civic Theatre & Academy, 3028 S.W. Eighth Ave., (785) 357-5211.
- "The Rocky Horror Show," presented by Minds Eye Theater, 8 p.m. and midnight today, Just Off Broadway Theater, 3051 Central, Kansas City, Mo., (913) 897-2348.
- "Topdog/Underdog," 8 p.m. today and 3 p.m. Sunday, Unicorn Theatre, 3828 Main St., Kansas City, Mo., (816) 531-PLAY.
- Americana Music Academy Saturday Jam, 3 p.m. to 5 p.m. today, Americana Music Academy
- RJD2, Prince Po, 7 p.m. today (early show), The Granada Theatre, 1020 Mass., 842-1390.
- Christine Kane, Rick Bruner, 7:30 p.m. today, Unity Church, Ninth Street and Madeline Lane, 841-1447.
- Jazz Disciples with Lisa Henry, 8:30 p.m. today, The Blue Room, 18th and Vine, Kansas City, Mo., (816) 474-VINE.
- Adam Hood, 9 p.m. today, Stu's Midtown Tavern, 925 Iowa, 856-7887.
- Contra Naturam, Vibralux, 9 p.m. today, The Bottleneck, 737 N.H., 841-LIVE.
- OK Jones Variety Hour, 10 p.m. today, Gaslight Tavern & Coffeehouse, 317 N. Second St., 856-4330.
- Project/Object with Ike Willis, 10 p.m. today, The Jazzhaus, 926 1/2 Mass., 749-3320.
- The Wilders Halloween Ho-down, 10 p.m. today, Davey's Uptown, 3402 Main St., Kansas City, Mo., (816) 753-1909.
- Filthy Jim, RPG, 10:30 p.m. today, The Replay Lounge, 946 Mass., 749-7676.
- Black Christmas (Halloween Show), 10:30 p.m. today, Jackpot Saloon, 943 Mass., 832-1085.
- Dierks Bentley, 8 p.m. Sunday, The Granada Theatre, 1020 Mass, 842-1390.
- Last Caress, 10 p.m. Sunday, The Bottleneck, 737 N.H., 841-LIVE.
- Dirty Boogie, 10 p.m. Sunday, Gaslight Tavern & Coffeehouse, 317 N. Second St., 856-4330.