Lawrence city commissioners will consider a proposal from GleeVision Inc. to install and operate projecting advertisements on private structures in the city.
The concept involves projecting advertisements with a light source onto the sides of buildings. The company wants to project ads on a wall above Jefferson's Restaurant, 743 Mass. This is a relatively new concept, and city land-use laws and sign codes do not allow it.
- Proclaim Oct. 7 as Communities in Motion Day.
- Recognize Oct. 10 as United Methodist Church 150th anniversary.
- Proclaim the month of October as Domestic Violence Awareness month.
- Approve City Commission meeting minutes from Sept. 28.
- Receive minutes from various boards and commissions.
- Approve all claims. The list of approved claims will be posted to the agenda the day after the commission meeting.
- Approve licenses as recommended for: Fraternal Order of Eagles, 1803 W. Sixth St.; Kaspar's Bar & Grill, 3154 W. Sixth St.; The Wine Cellar, 2100A W. 25th St., Alvin's Wine & Spirits, 905 Iowa and 4000 W. Sixth St., and Linda's Liquor, 1540 Wakarusa Drive.
- Approve appointments as recommended by the mayor: Dan Chambers to the unexpired position Jim Stogsdill had on the Aviation Advisory Board; Vern Norwood to the unexpired position held by Tom Turner on the Douglas County Advocacy Council for Aging.
- Bid and purchase items:
a) Set bid opening date of Oct. 26 for Neighborhood Resources Department Weatherization Program.
b) Set bid opening date of Oct. 19 for the 19th Street and Learnard Avenue sanitary sewer improvements.
c) Award project for street, storm sewer and waterline improvements to George Williams Way, Sixth Street to Harvard Road, to King's Construction Co. in the amount of $1.8 million.
d) Award bid for the Master Street Tree Program (Parks and Recreation) to Hermes Landscaping in the amount of $110,235.
e) Award bid to LEECO for police uniforms in the amount of $23,603.
f) Approve the following change orders for the 19th Street and Barker Avenue waterline improvement project, completed by R.D. Johnson Construction: a) Change Order No. 2 for $21,640; b) change Order No. 3 for $32,561; and c) additional bid item quantities for $26,304.
g) Authorize city manager to enter into an engineering contract with Bartlett and West Engineers in the amount of $39,275 for completion of technical specifications and construction phase services for painting the 1.5 million gallon water storage tank at 19th Street and Kasold Drive.
h) Authorize city manager to execute contract agreement with Peridian Group Inc., in the amount of $12,000, to provide engineering services for a storm sewer for Lake View Addition.
i) Authorize the city manager to sign amendments No. 1 for $14,500 and No. 2 for an amount not to exceed $10,000, with Black & Veatch for a total contract increase of $24,500.
j) Approve purchase of right-of-way and temporary construction easement from Pinnacle Co. for the Folks Road benefit district improvement in the amount of $33,430.
- Adopt the following ordinances on first reading:
a) Ordinance No. 7793, rezoning about 2.73 acres from agricultural district to multiple-family residential district. The property is generally located south of Overland Drive and east of East 1000 (Queens) Road. Submitted by The Peridian Group for C.F.M. L.L.C., property owners of record.
b) Ordinance No. 7830 , rezoning two tracts of land; one approximately .32 acre and the second approximately .26 acre, from M-3 (Intensive Industrial) to C-5 (Limited Commercial). The property is generally described as being located at 642-646 Locust St. and 645 Locust St. Submitted by Paul Werner Architects for D&D Rentals, property owners of record.
c) Ordinance No. 7709 , rezoning about 1.0181 acres from agricultural district to planned residential development district. The property is located about 1,000 feet south of West Sixth St. and west of Folks Road (extended). Submitted by The Peridian Group Inc., for Consolidated Properties Inc., property owner of record.
- Adopt the following ordinance on second and final reading:
a) Ordinance No. 7831, establishing no parking along the north side of Applegate Court.
- Adopt a resolution authorizing the issuance of bonds in the amount of $550,000 for the access management project on 23rd Street services agreement with HNTB Corp. in the amount of $149,598 for access management improvements on 23rd Street between Iowa and Louisiana streets.
- Accept dedication of easements and rights-of-way on the following plats:
a) Final plat for Hodge subdivision. This proposed residential subdivision contains approximately 2.0635 acres and is located on the east side of Folks Road, south of West Sixth Street. Submitted by The Peridian Group Inc. for Eric L. and Colleen M. Hodge, property owners of record.
b) Final plat for Oakley addition No. 2. This proposed planned residential development contains approximately 14.47 acres and is west of Folks Road approximately 400 feet south of West Sixth Street. Submitted by The Peridian Group Inc. for First Management Inc., property owner of record.
c) Final plat for Green Tree subdivision. This proposed 76 lot single-family residential subdivision contains about 26.7 acres and is located north of Harvard Road and east of George Williams Way. Submitted by BG Consultants Inc. for Fairway L.C., property owner of record.
d) Final plat for Seventh Day Adventist Church. This proposed church site contains about 5.312 acres and is located south of West Sixth Street (U.S. Highway 40) and west of East 1000 (Queens) Road. Submitted by Landplan Engineering P.A. for Kansas/Nebraska Association of Seventh Day Adventist Inc, property owner of record.
e) Final plat for Fox Chase South No. 2, a replat of lots 8-14, Block 9, and lots 1-7 Block 10, Fox Chase South. This proposed single-family residential subdivision contains about 3.450 acres and is located east of George Williams Way and south of Harvard Road (extended). Submitted by Landplan Engineering P.A. for Devco Inc. and Ezell-Morgan Construction Co. Inc., property owners of record.
- Approve the following site plans, subject to conditions:
a) Rick's Place, a site plan for the addition of an outdoor smoking area along the front of 846 F Ill. Submitted by Smalter and Associates for Rick Younger, tenant leasee, Steve Neher, property owner of record.
- Approve the following items related to outdoor dining at Qdoba Mexican Grill, 947 Mass.:
a) A site plan for outdoor seating. Submitted by Paul Werner Architects for 1908 LLC, property owner of record.
b) A sidewalk dining license
c) Allow possession and consumption of alcoholic beverages pursuant to a sidewalk dining license.
- Receive letter from Historic Resources Commission recommending the city apply for the nomination of Hobbs Park to the Lawrence Register of Historic Places.
- Authorize mayor to execute limited license agreement with Sheryl Lemesany allowing for the continued encroachment of an apartment building into a city sanitary sewer easement at the West Hills Apartment building, 1012 Emery Road. City utility department staff recommends approval of the agreement.
- Authorize the mayor to sign a subordination agreement for Stanley Weil, 1706 Vt.
- City manager's report.
- Receive request from Glee Vision Inc. concerning projection video advertising.