An exhibition of paintings by Lawrence landscape artist and longtime Kansas University painting professor Robert Sudlow opens today at Roy's Gallery, 1410 Kasold Drive.
"I am focusing the show on what it means to be an artist," gallery owner Mehrzad Alison said. "That it is not just painting when other things permit us, but painting regardless. ... Robert Sudlow knows of no other way than to be driven by his passion."
The artist will attend a reception from 5 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. today, and the gallery will be open for a special viewing from 1 p.m. to 4 p.m. Sunday.
The show, "Spiritual Connections," will include never-before-seen paintings that date to the 1930s and '40s, when Sudlow was a student, Alison said.
The exhibition will be on display through November.
Here are some other weekend activities:
- 14th Annual Sausage/Pancake and Silent Auction for Stull United Methodist Church fund-raiser, 7 a.m.-noon today, 251 N. 1600 Road.
- Science City fifth birthday celebration, 11 a.m.-4 p.m. today and noon-4 p.m. Sunday, Union Station, 30 W. Pershing, Kansas City, Mo., (816) 460-2020.
- Orchid Society of Greater Kansas City Fall Auction, 1 p.m. today, Overland Park Community Center, 87th and Lamar, Overland Park, (913) 845-2765.
- "Of Mice and Men," 8 p.m. today, Lyric Opera, 1029 Central, Kansas City, Mo., (816) 471-4933.
- Opening reception: "Spiritual Connections," paintings by Lawrence artist Robert Sudlow, 5 p.m.-7:30 p.m. today, Roy's Gallery, 1410 Kasold Drive, 842-1554.
- Opening reception: "Thoughts Like Shed Skin," textiles and sculptures by Erica Shamrock and Jay Gordon, 6 p.m.-10 p.m. today, Olive Gallery and Art Supply, 15 E. Eighth St., 331-4114.
- Opening reception: "18 Views of Japan," multimedia works by Lawrence artist Carl Masters, 6 p.m. today, Ad Astra Galleria, 205 W. Eighth St., 856-GOLD.
- "The Tall Tale of Pecos Bill," 2 p.m. today and Sunday, Theatre for Young America, 5909 Johnson Drive, Mission, (913) 831-2131.
- "Sanders Family Christmas," 2 p.m. and 8 p.m. today, 2 p.m. and 7 p.m. Sunday, American Heartland Theatre, Crown Center, 2450 Grand Blvd., Kansas City, Mo., (816) 842-9999.
- "Frankenstein," 6 p.m. dinner, 8 p.m. show today, and 2 p.m. show Sunday, Topeka Civic Theatre & Academy, 3028 S.W. Eighth Ave., (785) 357-5211.
- "10 x 10," 10 plays by 10 contemporary playwrights about the Ten Commandments, 7:30 p.m. today, Lawrence Arts Center, 940 N.H., 843-2787.
- "The Art of Conquering Aja," presented by the Borogove Theatre, 8 p.m. today, Ecumenical Christian Ministries, 1204 Oread Ave., tickets available at door.
- "Topdog/Underdog," 8 p.m. today, Unicorn Theatre, 3828 Main St., Kansas City, Mo., (816) 531-PLAY.
- Kaw Valley Shape Note Sing, 1:30 p.m.-4 p.m. today, Watkins Community Museum of History, 1047 Mass., 749-1356.
- Americana Music Academy Saturday Jam, 3 p.m. today, Americana Music Academy, 1419 Mass., 830-9640.
- 11th Annual Blues Review for Toys for Tots, featuring Import Ants, Billy Ebeling and The Late For Dinner Band with Lee McBee, 7 p.m. today, Liberty Hall, 642 Mass., 749-1972.
- Bob Schneider and the Rainbow Kids, 7 p.m. today (early show), The Bottleneck, 737 N.H., 841-LIVE.
- The Weakerthans, Piebald, Tablets of Orion, 8 p.m. today, Granada, 1020 Mass., 842-1390.
- Larry Garner and the Road Lizards, 9 p.m. today, Jazzhaus, 926 1/2 Mass., 749-3320.
- Back Porch Blues Band, 9 p.m. today, Stu's Midtown Tavern, 925 Iowa, 856-7887.
- Anything But Joey, Jupiter Sunrise, 10 p.m. today, The Bottleneck, 737 N.H., 841-LIVE.
- Koufax, Ghosty, John Harrison and the Mood Swing Set, 10 p.m. today, Jackpot Saloon, 943 Mass., 832-1085.
- The Ants, William Elliot Whitmore, Frankenixon, 10:30 p.m. today, Replay Lounge, 946 Mass., 749-7676.
- John Philip Sousa and his Band: "A Star-Spangled Spectacular," 3 p.m. Sunday, Lied Center, KU, 864-2787.
- Harriman Arts Series: Moscow Virtuosi, chamber orchestra, Vladimir Spivakov, violinist and conductor, 3 p.m. Sunday, Folly Theater, 12th and Central, Kansas City, Mo., (816) 415-5025.
- Musica Sacra of Kansas City Chorus and Orchestra perform Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, 7 p.m. Sunday, St. Francis Xavier Church, 52nd Street and Troost Avenue, Kansas City, Mo., (816) 235-6222.
- De La Soul, Butter Verses, 8 p.m. Sunday, Granada, 1020 Mass., 842-1390.
- The Heavenly States, The Monarch Song, 8:30 p.m. Sunday, Jackpot Saloon, 943 Mass., 832-1085.
- Sondre Lerche, The Golden Republic, 9 p.m. Sunday, The Bottleneck, 737 N.H., 841-LIVE.
- Dirty Boogie, 10 p.m. Sunday, Gaslight Tavern & Coffeehouse, 317 N. Second St., 856-4330.
- Justin Ripley, 10 p.m. Sunday, Harbour Lights, 1031 Mass., 841-1960.
- Totimoshi, 10 p.m. Sunday, Replay Lounge, 946 Mass., 749-7676.