The Lawrence City Commission will take public comment on the 2005 city budget.
Lawrence residents are invited to comment on taxes and city programs they would like to see expanded or cut in 2005.
- Recognition of the Mayor's Excellence in Education Award recipients.
- Proclaim the month of June as "National Safety Month."
- Approve City Commission meeting minutes from May 25.
- Receive minutes from various boards and commissions: Human Relations Commission meeting of Feb. 18; Convention and Visitors Bureau meeting of April 27; Lawrence-Douglas County Housing Authority meeting of April 26; Sesquicentennial Committee meetings of March 31 and April 7; Board of Plumbers and Pipe Fitters meeting of April 21; Neighborhood Resources Advisory Committee meeting of May 20.
- Approve all claims.
- Approve drinking establishment licenses for: Milton's Coffee, 920 Mass.; Duffy's at the Ramada Inn, 2222 W. Sixth St.; Paisano's Ristorante, 2112 W. 25th St.; Scarlet Orchid, 2223 La.; Applebee's, 2520 Iowa; Royal Crest Lane, 933 Iowa.
- Approve cereal malt beverage license for Wheat State Pizza Inc., 711 W. 23rd St.
- Approve retail liquor license for Cork & Barrel Downtown, 901 Miss.; World Wine & Beer, 3106 Iowa.
- Approve appointment of Patti Welty to the Neighborhood Resources Advisory Committee.
Bid and purchase items:
- Execute a contract with Professional Engineering Consultants in the amount of $34,888 for design and construction phase services of the Clinton Parkway and Wakarusa Relief Sewer Project.
- Award bid No. 0420 for the asphalt overlay of Holcom Sports Complex parking lot to the low bidder meeting specifications, Asphalt Improvement Co., in the amount of $50,475 (Sales Tax Fund).
- Award bid No. 0418 for the HVAC system at the South Park Center to the low bidder meeting specifications, Chaney Inc., in the amount of $39,797 (Sales Tax Reserve Fund).
- Authorize the purchase from the sole source of three RescueOne Connector Boats and Custom Trailers, in the amount of $50,035 utilizing the FEMA Firefighter Assistance Grant funds.
- Authorize the city manager to enter into a contract for a new Kaw Plant boiler and HVAC specialties in the amount of $36,000 with SRH Mechanical Contractors Inc. as recommended by department staff. The Utilities Department will provide in-house project inspection. The project will be funded from the nonbonded construction fund.
- Award 2004 Overlay and Concrete Repair Program, Phase 2, to Kansas Heavy Construction in the amount of $730,118.
- Approve engineering services contract with Bartlett and West Engineers for the preliminary design report for Kasold Drive reconstruction, 15th Street to Clinton Parkway, in the amount of $158,740.
- Set a bid opening date of June 22 for the comprehensive rehabilitations at 2104 Tenn. and 1628 E. 18th Terrace.
- Adopt Resolution No. 6551, declaring 2300 Iowa Street environmentally blighted, ordering the property owner to remove the violations within 20 days of the adoption of said resolution. Failure of the property owner to comply will result in the city abating the violations.
Accept dedication of easements on the following plats:
- Final plat for North Iowa Addition. This proposed industrial subdivision for future office development contains approximately 3.259 acres and is located at 601 N. Iowa (at the southwest corner of the intersection of North Iowa Street and Kresge Road). Submitted by Peridian Group Inc., for Doug Compton, First Management Corp., contract purchaser, and Unified School District No. 497, property owner of record.
- Final plat for R L Subdivision. This proposed three-lot residential subdivision contains approximately 0.78 acre. The property is generally described as being located at 1201 Monterey Way. Submitted by Randy Ham for Ron Lawrenz, property owner of record.
- Authorize the mayor to sign a release of mortgage for Jocelyn Kitchen, 1144 Pa.
- Authorize staff to prepare necessary condemnation instruments for Northfield Estates sanitary sewer project.
- City manager's report
- Receive public comments related to 2005 budget.
- Receive draft memorandum of understanding with the International Association of Firefighters Local 1596.
- Receive draft memorandum of understanding with the Lawrence Police Officers Assn.
- Receive report and provide staff direction regarding the Traffic Safety Commission recommendation to prohibit parking on the east side of Kentucky Street from 15th Street south 200 feet.