Looking for something to do this weekend between fireworks displays and barbecues? This evening stop by Ad Astra Gallery, 205 W. Eighth St., and check out sculptures and paintings created at Dragon's Haven Artworks, a studio northwest of Lawrence. Artists Jay Alexander, Maggie Jones and Ingrid Alexander will be on hand to chat about their work. Here's a look at what else is happening:
- Thunder in the Sky, the 2004 Kansas City Aviation Expo Airshow, 9 a.m.-5 p.m. today and Sunday, featuring the U.S. Air Force's Thunderbirds, Kansas City's Charles B. Wheeler Downtown Airport, Main Terminal, www.kcairshow.com.
- "Booms & Blooms Festival," 10 a.m. until fireworks conclude today, 10 a.m.-6 p.m. Sunday, Powell Gardens, 1609 N.W. U.S. Highway 50, Kingsville, Mo., (816) 697-2600.
- Heart of America: A Journey Fourth and "Discovery Days:" Annual Huge River Fest Parade, noon today, downtown Leavenworth, (913) 682-2313.
- Walter P. Chrysler car show, 9 a.m.-3:30 p.m. Sunday, city park, Wamego, (785) 456-2236.
- "A Journey Fourth: Lewis & Clark Expedition Observance," today and Sunday, Atchison, (913) 367-2427 or (800) 234-1854.
- Heart of America: A Journey Fourth and "Discovery Days:" Cannon Salute to the Union celebrating Leavenworth's 150th birthday, noon, Fort Leavenworth; cake and ice cream, 2 p.m.-4 p.m. Sunday, Riverfront Community Center; "A Toast to the Nation," 7:30 p.m. Sunday; U.S. Army Field Band and Chorus, 8 p.m. Sunday, Fort Leavenworth; and fireworks across the lake, 9:40 p.m. Sunday, Fort Leavenworth, (913) 682-2313.
- Lawrence Jaycees fireworks display, 9:45 p.m. Sunday, Burcham Park, 200 Ind.
- "E Pluribus Unum," sculptures and paintings by Dragon's Haven Artworks artists Jay Alexander, Ingrid Alexander and Maggie Jones, through July. Ad Astra Gallery, 205 W. Eighth St., 856-4653. Reception: 6 p.m.-10 p.m. today.
- "Small People-Big World" by Bill Shaffer and "still life" by Jerry Kunkel, through Aug. 28, Sherry Leedy Contemporary Art, 2004 Baltimore Ave., Kansas City, Mo., (816) 474-1919. Reception: 7 p.m.-9 p.m. today.
- "Romance Romance," 7:30 p.m. today, Crafton-Preyer Theatre, Murphy Hall, KU, 864-3982.
- "Suessical," 2 p.m. today, The Coterie Theatre, Level One, Crown Center, 2450 Grand, Kansas City, Mo., (816) 474-6552.
- "Take Me Out," 8 p.m. today, Unicorn Theatre, 3828 Main St., Kansas City, Mo., (816) 531-PLAY.
- "Meshuggah-Nuns, 8 p.m. today and 2 p.m. Sunday, American Heartland Theatre, 2450 Grand Blvd., Kansas City, Mo., (816) 842-9999.
- "1776 A Musical Comedy," 6 p.m. today dinner, 7:30 p.m. today show, The Columbian Theatre, 521 Lincoln, Wamego, (785) 456-2029 or (800) 899-1893.
- "Celebrate America," 2:30 p.m. today, Topeka Performing Arts Center, 214 S.E. Eighth Ave., Topeka, (785) 297-2000.
- James Webster and Donna Rutt Hensley, 7:30 p.m. today, Annie's Country Jubilee, Fourth and Main, Tonganoxie, (913) 845-9600.
- Lee's Summit Symphony Orchestra, 7:30 p.m. today, fireworks 9:30 p.m., Powell Gardens, 1609 N.W. U.S. Highway 50, Kingsville, Mo., (816) 697-2600.
- We Are Resisting conference, featuring Ryan RedCorn, The Deep Thinkers, Kelly Worthy, CypherRevolutionary and David Rovics, 8 p.m. today, Ecumenical Christian Ministries, 1204 Oread, 843-4933.
- Brendan Hangauer, Hanz Bronze, Charlie Downey, 9 p.m. today, Eighth Street Tap Room, 801 N.H., 841-6918.
- Bright Calm Blue, Sunday Driver, Burns Out Bright, 9 p.m. today, The Bottleneck, 737 N.H., 841-LIVE.
- Doris Henson, The Sound You Say, Ad Astra Per Aspera, 9 p.m. today, The Brick, 1727 McGee St., Kansas City, Mo., (816) 421-1634.
- Everybody's X, Penumbra, Intent, 9 p.m. today, The Hurricane, 4048 Broadway St., Kansas City, Mo., (816) 753-0884.
- Big Metal Rooster, 10 p.m. today, The Jazzhaus, 926 1/2 Mass., 749-3320.
- Alferd Packer Memorial String Band, Prairie Acre, 6 p.m. Sunday, Burcham Park, 200 Ind.
- Koffen Kats, The Dishwashers, 7 p.m. Sunday, SpitFire, 1717 W. Ninth, Kansas City, Mo., (816) 421-7525.
- Billy Ebeling and The Late For Dinner Band, 7 p.m.-11 p.m. Sunday, Jazz Louisiana Kitchen, 39th and State Line, Kansas City, Mo., (816) 531-5556.