Advertisement

Archive for Wednesday, June 18, 2003

Local briefs

June 18, 2003

Advertisement

Lethal carbon monoxide found in fire victims

Topeka (ap) -- A Lawrence woman and Topeka man who died in a duplex fire Friday had lethal levels of carbon monoxide in their bloodstreams, police said.

Police Lt. John Sidwell said authorities were still investigating whether the deaths of Lester A. Webster, 54, and Eris McCleery, 55, were a homicide, suicide or accident.

The two were found dead when firefighters responded to a call at 6:25 a.m. Friday.

Sidwell said carbon monoxide is given off when materials smolder, but do not burn. The cause of the fire also is under investigation.

Cell phone tower gets board's OK to grow

The mobile phone tower at Free State High School will likely grow to a height of half a football field, to about 150 feet.

Members of the Lawrence school board agreed that AT&T Wireless and T-Mobile Communications could add antennas to a 120-foot tower at Free State that serves Sprint PCS.

Under the five-year contract, AT&T and T-Mobile would make one-time payments of $3,000 each to the Lawrence school district. Annual rental payments would be $7,500 from AT&T and $4,500 from T-Mobile.

The board approved the deal Monday on a 6-0 vote.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.