Archive for Saturday, February 23, 2002

Nation Briefs

February 23, 2002


California: Father faces charges for murder of 5 children

Shortly after his release from the hospital Friday, a Pico Rivera man was arrested for allegedly igniting a charcoal grill inside his house that killed five of his six children while they slept.

Adair Garcia was wheeled out of Presbyterian Intercommunity Hospital in Whittier and into the waiting arms of sheriff's homicide investigators.

Garcia, 30, who had gone through two days of treatment for severe carbon monoxide poisoning, was booked on five counts of first-degree murder and one count of attempted murder. He is expected to be arraigned as early as Monday.

Garcia was hospitalized after he and his children were found unconscious in their home Wednesday in Pico Rivera.

The night before, Garcia tucked his children into bed, lighted the grill and allowed it to burn for hours, said Los Angeles County Sheriff's Lt. Don Bear.

Michigan: Judge orders couple handcuffed together

A judge ordered an estranged couple handcuffed together and jailed during a divorce hearing.

When Sabrena and Kirk Smith's stories contradicted each other during a hearing Jan. 25, Muskegon County Judge Gregory Pittman ordered them cuffed together and shackled to a holding cell bench "until somebody decides that they're going to not lie to the court."

After the couple's lawyers conferred with the judge, Sabrena Smith dropped a complaint that her husband had violated a protection order. They were released about a half-hour later.

Sabrena Smith later said the complaint was true and she withdrew it to stay out of jail.

Florida: Boys' honesty rewarded

Two boys who found $4,000 in a paper bag in the street and turned it in were rewarded for their honesty Friday with baseball tickets, honorary titles, keys to the city and an invitation to throw out the first pitch at a Tampa Devil Rays game.

Jarvarious Jones, 13, and Oscar Carter, 13, found the dirty paper bag stuffed with $100 bills as they were waiting for their school bus Feb. 13. They thought about keeping it, but instead turned the money in when they arrived at school.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.