The Lawrence City Commission will consider possible decorum rules for commissioners, city staffers and the public to abide by during commission meetings.
Proponents say although there have been no major incidents to warrant such rules, they want to prevent problems down the line. Opponents say the rules will infringe on free speech at commission meetings.
- Approve city commission meeting minutes of Dec. 17.
- Receive minutes of various boards and commissions: Recycling and Resource Conservation Advisory Board meeting of Nov. 12; Mental Health Board meeting of Sept. 24; Lawrence-Douglas County Housing Authority Board meeting of Oct. 22.
¢ Approve all claims.
Bid and purchase items:
- Award the construction contract for 2002 water line improvements, Phase 1A, for East 17th Street, from N.H. Street to Barker Avenue; and for Rhode Island Street, from 15th Street to 17th Street; to Nowak Construction for $258,309.
- Award the construction contract for 2002 water line improvements, Phase 1B, for Eighth Street, from Kentucky Street to N.H. Street; and for Haskell Avenue, from Lynn Street to East 19th Street; to Kahle Construction for $168,462.
- Approve selection of Smalter Architects/Susan Richards Johnson and Associates Inc. for design of Fire Station No. 3 (West Sixth Street) improvements; authorize staff to negotiate agreement for city commission approval.
- Waive bidding requirements and authorize city manager to execute agreement with Kahle Inc. for $45,000 for sanitary sewer improvements along North Michigan Street.
- Adopt on first reading an ordinance rezoning 5.58 acres from multifamily residential and duplex residential districts, to single-family residential district for Lots 1-6 and 19, Block 3, and Lots 24-31, Block 2, Pinnacle West Addition, 3900 block and 4000 block of West Eighth Street.
- Adopt on final reading floodplain regulations for the city of Lawrence.
Adopt the following resolutions:
- Requesting the county commission to approve the annexation of approximately 48 acres of city-owned property south of the Lawrence Municipal Airport.
- Declaring the necessity for condemnation of a tract of property for stormwater improvements, east of Haskell Avenue, north of 12th Street.
- Authorize the mayor to change the term expiration dates for the Neighborhood Resources Advisory Committee to Dec. 31 of the appropriate year of expiration.
- Authorize the mayor to sign releases of mortgage for Warren and Margaret Brun, 205 N. Fifth St.; and Kristi McAlister, 437 Indiana St.
- Authorize the mayor to sign subordination agreements for Sharen Edmonds, 1808 W. 22nd St.; Barbara Wiseman, 1032 Lawrence Ave.; and Reginald and Nicole Demby, 1072 E. Home Circle.
- Approve drinking establishment licenses for Montana Mike's, 1015 Iowa; Fatso's, 1016 Mass.; Buffalo Wild Wings, 1012 Mass.; Don's Steak House, 2176 E. 23rd St.; Bottleneck, 737 Mass.; The Bourgeois Pig, 6 E. Ninth St.; It's Brothers Bar & Grill, 1105 Mass.; Louise's West Ltd., 1307 W. Seventh St.
- Approve retail liquor license for Parkway Wine and Spirits, 3514 Clinton Parkway, Suite B.
- Approve cereal malt beverage licenses for 61 businesses.
- City manager's report
- Receive letter from Lawrence Coalition on Homeless Concerns concerning use of the Carnegie Library.
- Receive draft 2003 Legislative Policy Statement.
- Receive and discuss city staff report concerning 2003 city budget issues.