December 19, 2011
We saw a crossover advertised by Dale Willey of Lawrence, that we were interested in and it was in our price range. I called to inquire, and at first they said the car was sold, then after a few more questions they said it hadn't sold, but they'd raised the price about $750. They did say they would honor the price they had advertised on Autotrader. My husband and I traveled to Lawrence to drive the crossover, and liked it. We went home and checked it out on CarFax and found out it had been in an accident involving front and rear impact (reducing the value of the car by $980). We called and told them that we had discovered the car's history, were still interested, but would want our mechanic to look it over, and would expect the final price to reflect what we had discovered (if we still wanted it). They said they would work with us. I arranged to pick the car up at 1 on a Saturday to take it to our mechanic. When I was almost to Lawrence, my husband called me; they had called to inform us they had let someone else test drive the car. No problem, that shouldn't take long. I continued toward town and called the dealer, they said they couldn't guarantee when it would be back. Okay, I asked them to call me when/if it was available. I had Christmas shopping to do. They called at 2:30, (I was about ready to leave town), to say the car was back. I informed the young man dealing with us that now it would be difficult for me to take it to our small town 40 miles away, and get it back before closing, since we had a meeting that evening. He said he'd talk to his manager and they'd probably let us keep it over the weekend (I offered to bring it back the next day). I headed back to the dealership, the car was there, I went in, sat down and the young man informed me that his manager had decided that if we took the car over the weekend they would not be willing to negotiate the price. I would have to agree to pay the price we'd had seen on the internet with him immediately, before having our mechanic check it out! I stood up to leave - I'd wasted enough time with this outfit. The manager (or whoever Danny is) came out and reiterated their conditions. I asked him why they didn't just tell me that in the first place, I wouldn't have wasted my time waiting. I ended up leaving, never to return! I think you can draw your own conclusions regarding this car dealership from what I've recounted of our experience. Certainly not a dealership that I would ever trust to do business with. We now have a used Saturn Outlook that we got at a good price, from someone who truly wanted our business, and that we found we could trust.