Former Jayhawks K Gabriel Rui invited to Chiefs’ rookie minicamp
Not one member of the 2018 Kansas football team got drafted by an NFL franchise this past weekend.
But as of Thursday, with news of kicker Gabriel Rui receiving a rookie minicamp invitation from the Kansas City Chiefs, the Jayhawks now have eight former players trying to find a way to catch on with a team.
Rui connected on 12 of his 17 field goal attempts as a senior this past season and sent all 28 of his PATs through the uprights.
The 5-foot-11 kicker from Hinton, Okla., drilled a career-long 54-yard field goal versus Nicholls in 2018.
As a junior, in 2017, Rui made 17 of his 20 field goals for KU and was a perfect 23-for-23 on PATs.
NFL opportunities for former KU players
• DT Daniel Wise: Dallas, undrafted free agent
• LB Joe Dineen: Denver, undrafted free agent
• WR Steven Sims Jr.: Washington, undrafted free agent
• LS John Wirtel: Chicago, undrafted free agent
• CB Shakial Taylor: Indianapolis, undrafted free agent
• OL Dwayne Wallace: Pittsburgh, undrafted free agent
• TE Mavin Saunders: Cleveland, rookie minicamp invite
• K Gabriel Rui: Kansas City, rookie minicamp invite