Kansas reports 2nd death from vaping-related lung disease
TOPEKA — Kansas is reporting its second death from a vaping-related lung disease in less than two weeks.
Gov. Laura Kelly announced Monday that a man over 50 has died. The state health department said it is not releasing the names, hometowns or other details about people who’ve died or become sick to protect their privacy.
The state’s first reported death related to e-cigarette use was a woman over 50 and reported Sept. 10. Kelly’s office said both people who died had other underlying health issues.
Seven other Kansas residents have been sickened in an outbreak tied to more than 500 reported vaping-related illnesses nationwide. Five have been treated and released from a hospital, while two remained hospitalized Monday.
Kelly said the state is considering policy options, without being more specific.