Candle caused Lawrence apartment fire that affected 12 units

photo by: Lauren Fox

An early morning fire at Village 1 Apartments, 2411 Louisiana St., affected 12 units on Friday, Jan. 3, 2020.

Lawrence-Douglas County Fire Medical investigators have determined that a candle caused a fire that displaced 11 residents of Village 1 Apartments.

Tom Fagan, LDCFM division chief of administration, told the Journal-World via email Thursday that an unattended open-flame candle started the fire, which caused an estimated $450,000 in property damage.

“Always be present when using open-flame candles, never leave them unattended,” he wrote. “When possible, use battery-lit candles.”

The fire was reported around 1:03 a.m. Friday, Jan. 3, at the complex in the 2400 block of Louisiana Street, the Journal-World reported. First responders evacuated residents and five cats. There were no serious injuries, but four people suffered minor injuries that were treated at the scene.

Twelve units became uninhabitable as a result of the fire.

Related coverage

Jan. 3, 2020: Early-morning fire affects 12 apartments at Village 1 in Lawrence; damage estimate is nearly half a million dollars

Contact Mackenzie Clark

Have a story idea, news or information to share? Contact public safety reporter Mackenzie Clark:


Welcome to the new Our old commenting system has been replaced with Facebook Comments. There is no longer a separate username and password login step. If you are already signed into Facebook within your browser, you will be able to comment. If you do not have a Facebook account and do not wish to create one, you will not be able to comment on stories.