KU presents awards, more than $15,000 in prizes to faculty members
photo by: Chris Conde
Several faculty members at KU’s College of Liberal Arts & Sciences recently won honors and cash awards from the university for teaching, research or advising work.
• Angela Gist-Mackey, associate professor of communication studies, received the Community Engaged Scholarship Award, which came with a $1,000 prize.
• Deborah Dandridge, an associate librarian and field archivist, won a Steeples Service to Kansans Award for her work in curating and preserving stories of African Americans in the state and making the materials available for research.
• Donna Ginther, a professor of economics, won a Steeples Service to Kansans Award for her work on the state’s Tax Reform Council and providing economic data and analysis on the impact the pandemic has had on the Kansas economy.
• Joe Heidrick, associate dean for experiential education and clinical assistant professor of pharmacy, won a Steeples Service to Kansans Award for leadership in a program that provides pharmacy students to pharmacies, clinics and other health care organizations that need more caregivers.
All the winners of the Steeples Service to Kansans Award received a $1,000 prize and also a $1,000 increase in base salary.
• Ward Lyles, associate professor of urban planning, won the Gene A. Budig Teaching Professorship Award, which came with a $4,000 prize.
• Utako Minai, associate professor of linguistics, won the Byron A. Alexander Graduate Mentor Award, which came with a $1,500 prize.
• Mary Jo Reiff, professor of rhetoric and composition, won the John C. Wright Graduate Mentor Award, which came with a $1,500 prize.
• Erik Lundquist, professor of molecular biosciences, won the Grant Goodman Undergraduate Mentor Award, which came with a $1,000 prize.
• Alex Boynton, lecturer in environmental studies, and Ian Lewis, assistant professor of physics and astronomy, won the J. Michael Young Academic Advisor Award, which comes with a $1,000 prize.
Prize money for the awards came from funds managed by the KU Endowment Association.