Affidavit: Violent rampage, shootout with police officer preceded arrest of mentally ill suspect in Lawrence standoff

Before police confrontation, man chopped through mother’s front door with axe

photo by: Ashley Hocking

Police respond to an incident on Stowe Court on Friday, June 29, 2018.

Abdul Jalil K. Hussein allegedly terrorized his own mother to the point she feared for her life — most recently chopping through her locked front door with an ax, then shooting out her TV when he could not find her.

He allegedly terrorized his neighbors, who reported seeing him wearing body armor and firing a gun outside.

And he allegedly terrorized a Lawrence police officer, pointing a gun at him before swapping fire in the type of shootout that could have left either man dead.

After describing those allegations in an affidavit supporting Hussein’s arrest, a Lawrence police detective did not mince words in suggesting multiple serious felony charges for Hussein.

“His behavior is uncontrollable,” Det. M.T. Brown wrote.

“He should be considered an extremely violent threat to all others he meets.”

photo by: Douglas County Sheriff’s Office

Abdul Jalil K. Hussein

The Journal-World requested the affidavit through Douglas County District Court and received it this week.

Hussein, 34, of Lawrence was taken into custody after the June 29 standoff at his house, 620 N. Stowe Court.

He’s jailed on $700,000 bond and has three criminal cases pending with 15 counts in all, mostly felonies.

Hussein refused to leave the jail for court last week, and a few days later Judge James McCabria personally went to the jail to hold Hussein’s hearing there. At that hearing, McCabria ordered Hussein to get a psychological exam to determine whether he’s competent to participate in his court proceedings.

Hussein’s next hearing, a status conference, is scheduled for Monday.

Police affidavits in Hussein’s pending cases describe what allegedly occurred. According to those affidavits, here is a timeline:

Dec. 12, 2017

Hussein was arrested after allegedly firing shots into the air outside his house and causing an hourslong standoff with police.

photo by: Nick Krug

A police vehicle blocks the road along Stowe Drive leading up to Stowe Court, where police were involved in a standoff, on Tuesday, Dec. 12, 2017.

After that incident, Hussein told an officer he hadn’t slept in about five days and was “delusional.” He was involuntarily committed to a state psychiatric hospital.

Hussein was charged in March with being a mentally ill person in possession of a gun and discharging a firearm in public.

According to court records, Hussein was out on $1,000 bond in that case when, in June, he allegedly committed new crimes.

June 8, 2018

Hussein’s mother called police when he came to her home on North Crestline Drive and forced open the front door, damaging the frame.

Once inside he appeared to be “very mad,” accusing her of taking his dog’s leash or collar. Then he broke the door in half.

She told Hussein to leave, but he refused. Fearing for her safety, Hussein’s mother fled her own home.

Responding officers found the home “in disarray,” with the front door kicked in and broken in half, and a bathroom door in the same state.

Hussein’s mother told police he was mad at her because she put paperwork on his front door letting him know when his next court date was.

June 29, 2018

Hussein showed up at his mother’s house again, this time with an ax and a gun, and banged on the front door. Fearing for her life, she told police, she ran out the back door.

Because of Hussein’s violent behavior, his mother had video surveillance installed around her house. By watching video, police were able to see what he did next.

After failing to kick down the door, Hussein used the ax to chop a hole in it and got inside. He went inside holding the ax and a gun.

“The video surveillance showed Mr. Hussein systematically walking from room to room of the residence, apparently looking for (his mother)” while carrying the ax and pistol, the affidavit says.

He didn’t find her and left, shooting the TV on his way out.

Outside, police confronted Hussein, and dashcam video captured what happened next, starting about 9:55 p.m. (Because it involved an officer firing his weapon, the Johnson County Sheriff’s Office investigated this part of the incident and provided information to Lawrence police for the affidavit.)

Hussein got into his Jeep Wrangler and drove off. When an officer tried to pull him over, Hussein kept going until he reached his own house a few blocks away.

There, he got out of the Jeep with a handgun and walked toward his front door.

The officer ordered him to stop twice, and, when he didn’t stop, ran up to him to prevent him from going inside.

Hussein hit the officer in the head with his gun and kicked him, sending him backward, and the officer went back to his vehicle.

Moments later, Hussein’s garage door opened and Hussein walked to his Jeep with his right hand behind his back.

The officer warned him to drop the gun three times.

“Mr. Hussein then points the handgun toward Officer (Charles) Stewart’s car and gunfire is exchanged,” the affidavit said. A few minutes after that, Hussein enters the garage and the officer follows, “and Officer Stewart yells at Mr. Hussein to drop the weapon and brief gunfire is heard.”

The SWAT team arrived and eventually went inside the house and took Hussein into custody.

Police found a handgun, ammunition and a bulletproof vest in the house and an ax in the Jeep. Johnson County’s investigation also revealed that Hussein’s gunshots hit two neighbors’ houses — one of which was occupied by seven people, including four children, at the time.

The Lawrence Police Department’s history with Hussein goes back to at least June 2017, Det. Brown wrote in the affidavit.

“Officers have had multiple contacts with Mr. Hussein in which he was threatening officers or threatening his neighbors or family members,” Brown wrote in the affidavit. “Mr. Hussein is known to carry firearms along with personal body armor and is often extremely confrontational and violent towards Police and citizens of Lawrence, Douglas County, Kansas.”

Contact Journal-World public safety reporter Sara Shepherd


Welcome to the new Our old commenting system has been replaced with Facebook Comments. There is no longer a separate username and password login step. If you are already signed into Facebook within your browser, you will be able to comment. If you do not have a Facebook account and do not wish to create one, you will not be able to comment on stories.