LHS student has whooping cough
Lawrence High School officials were notified Wednesday that a ninth-grade student had been diagnosed with pertussis, better known as whooping cough.
The Lawrence-Douglas County Health Department emailed LHS students’ parents with information about the contagious disease, and the school nurse is reviewing student immunization records, said Julie Boyle, a district spokeswoman.
Pertussis is a respiratory disease caused by bacteria and spreads through close contact with those affected. It is most common in infants and young children, and in rare cases it can be fatal.
Anyone with questions can reach the health department at 843-0721. Vaccinations are also available at the health department’s clinic, 200 Maine.