City commission agenda for Oct. 16th
City to look at traffic signal project
City commissioners will consider moving ahead with the next phase of a project to synchronize traffic signals on 23rd Street and parts of North Second Street. The project links the traffic signals together with fiber optic cable, which allows the timing of the signals to be programmed by a computer from a remote location. The system also includes closed-circuit cameras that allow engineers to monitor traffic conditions from a remote location.
The city recently completed a similar project on Sixth Street from Massachusetts to Iowa streets and on Iowa Street from Sixth to 23rd streets. The North Second Street project is expected to cost $90,000, with the city paying $65,000 and the Kansas Department of Transportation paying $25,000. The Iowa Street project is expected to cost $240,000, with the city paying $90,000 and the state paying $150,000. The North Lawrence project is expected to begin Nov. 1 and be completed by the end of the year. The 23rd Street project is expected to begin in March and be completed by the end of May.
• Approve City Commission meeting minutes from Oct. 4 and Oct. 11.
• Receive minutes from various boards and commissions:
• Approve all claims.
• Approve licenses as recommended by the City Clerk’s Office.
• Bid and purchase items:
a) Set bid opening date of Nov. 1 for the 2011 Master Street Tree Project.
• Adopt on second and final reading the following ordinance(s):
a) Ordinance No. 8678, authorizing a $25,000 forgivable loan to 3840 Greenway Circle LLC for economic development purposes.
b) Ordinance No. 8675, Text Amendments (TA-8-13-11) to Article 3 of the Lawrence Land Development Code and to the 8th & Pennsylvania Urban Conservation Overlay District, including the Design Guidelines 8th and Penn Neighborhood Redevelopment Zone.
c) Ordinance No. 8676, for Rezoning (Z-8-22-11) approximately .56 acre from CS (Strip Commercial) to RM32 (Multi-Dwelling Residential) within the Eighth & Pennsylvania Urban Conservation Overlay District, located at 619 E. Eighth St.
d) Ordinance No. 8677, for Rezoning (Z-8-23-11) approximately .27 acre from CS (Strip Commercial) to RM12D (Multi-Dwelling Residential) within the Eighth & Pennsylvania Urban Conservation Overlay District, located at 804-806 Pennsylvania St.
• Approve the following items related to Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITS) fiber optic cable project:
a) Approve Change Order No. 1 in the amount of $90,000, to K&W Underground, to extend fiber optic cable along North Second Street.
b) Adopt Resolution No. 6950 authorizing the issuance of general obligation bonds for the financing of fiber optic improvements along North Second Street.
c) Authorize the Mayor to sign a City-State Agreement to extend fiber optic along 23rd Street from Iowa to Harper Street.
d) Adopt Resolution No. 6949 authorizing issuance of general obligation bonds for the financing to extend fiber optic along 23rd Street from Iowa to Harper Street.
e) Authorize staff to submit a request to the Secretary of Transportation seeking approval to award the 23rd Street ITS project in FY2012.
• Approve the following items related to 3900 W. 24th Place:
a) Approve Rezoning, Z-7-21-11, approximately 3.3 acres from RSO (Single-Dwelling Residential-Office) to CN2 (Neighborhood Shopping Center), located at 3900 W. 24th Place. Submitted by Landplan Engineering, for Corporate Holdings II, LLC, property owner of record, and Hy-Vee Inc. as contract purchaser.
b) Accept dedication of easements and rights of way for Preliminary Plat, PP-7-7-11, of Inverness Park Plaza Addition No. 5, a Replat of Lot 1, Block 1, Inverness Park Plaza Addition No. 1, for a two-lot commercial development, located at 3900 W. 24th Place. Submitted by Landplan Engineering, for Corporate Holdings II LLC, property owner of record, and Hy-Vee Inc. as contract purchaser.
c) Approve Special Use Permit, SUP-7-4-11, for Gas and Fuel sales, also known as a convenience store, with a car wash and office building on approximately 3.3 acres of vacant property located at 3900 W. 24th Place. Submitted by Landplan Engineering, for Corporate Holdings II LLC, property owner of record, and Hy-Vee Inc. as contract purchaser.
• Receive the external quality control review of the City Auditor’s Office.
• Authorize Mayor to sign a Letter of Support for the TIGER III Application for the Interchange at K-10 highway and Bob Billings Parkway.
• Receive proposal from Bowersock Mills & Power Company for the replacement of current manually raised flashboard system on the Bowersock Dam with a rubber dam. The estimated capital cost to the city is approximately $425,000. Refer request to staff for a report and recommendation.
• Approve a temporary use of public right-of-way permit for use of various city streets, including the closure of the northbound lane of downtown Massachusetts Street from 8:30 a.m. to 8:55 a.m. on Dec. 11 for the Jingle Bell Run 5K.
• Authorize the Mayor to sign a Release of Mortgage for Margaret Hill, 317 Fla.
• Receive city manager’s report.
• Consider revisions to the City’s Transportation Development District, Community Improvement District and Neighborhood Revitalization Act Policies.
• Consider motion to recess into executive session for 30 minutes for the purpose of consultation with attorneys for the city on matters deemed privileged in the attorney-client relationship.