New Free State High School band uniforms up for approval
Members of the marching band at Free State High School would get new uniforms for the coming year under a bid package up for approval Monday night by the Lawrence school board.
The district would buy 200 replacement uniforms for the band, hiring Fruhauf Uniforms Inc. to make new ones for $105,000.
The band’s existing outfits have been in use for all 14 of the school’s years, and the jackets, accessories and — perhaps most of all — white pants are showing their age, officials said.
Board members discussed the prospects two weeks ago and asked administrators to work out a deal.
The district sought bids from four companies. Fruhauf’s was lowest, followed by a $109,150 package from DeMoulin Bros. & Company; two other companies could not meet the district’s specifications.
The board is set to conduct its regular meeting at 7 p.m. Monday at district headquarters, 100 McDonald Drive, after starting with an executive session at 6:30 p.m. to discuss teacher negotiations.
Also Monday, board members are scheduled to:
• Welcome Kyle Hayden, the district’s incoming chief operations officer.
• Receive a presentation from Superintendent Rick Doll regarding outgoing board members Mary Loveland, Marlene Merrill, Rich Minder and Scott Morgan.
• Approve Property & Liability Insurance & Educator’s Liability for the 2011-12 school year.
• Approve a repair contract for band and orchestra instruments.
• Approve a Letter of Agreement with Bert Nash Community Mental Health Center.
• Buy additional textbooks, various materials and OdysseyWare licenses for the coming school year.
• Approve a change order for King’s Construction work in the parking lots at South Junior High and Broken Arrow schools.
• Approve a work schedule for Pacific Educational Group for the coming school year.
• Renew Workers Compensation Excess Insurance.
• Approve an agreement for Workers Compensation Third Party Administration for the coming school year.
• Approve replacement of a dish machine at Deerfield School.
• Receive reports regarding: preliminary results regarding Adequate Yearly Progress in the district and its schools; the board’s Educational Equity & Excellence Plan; and the board’s 2010-11 goals.