Arthur Davis found guilty of attempted murder, kidnapping, contributing to a child’s deliquency
Jury convicts defendant of all 3 counts in baseball bat attack case
A seven-day trial came to a rapid conclusion Tuesday afternoon when a jury returned guilty verdicts against Arthur Davis III on all charges.
Davis, who had been accused of leading his children in a brutal, baseball bat attack of his ex-wife, was found guilty of attempted first-degree murder, aggravated kidnapping and contributing to a child’s misconduct.
“I am so happy with the verdict, and that my children and I will be able to move forward with our lives,” Michelle Davis said in a written statement provided by the district attorney’s office. “I give my daughter credit for having the courage to step forward and tell the truth.”
Prosecutors said Arthur Davis, 61, arranged for his 12-year-old daughter and 15-year-old son to kill their 45-year-old mother on June 16. After the children started the assault, prosecutors said, Davis went to his ex-wife’s house, in the 1100 block of Hilltop Drive, and helped with the attack.
“Davis groomed his children to execute his plan to kill their mother,” said assistant Douglas County district attorney Eve Kemple, who prosecuted the case with assistant district attorney Amy McGowan.
The incident was fueled by a heated child custody dispute between the family and occurred less than a week after the family learned that a psychiatrist had recommended that the daughter continue living with her mother, instead of with her father.
“Justice was served today,” Kemple said after the verdict. “It’ll take a lot of time to undo the damage this man did to those children.”
Prosecutors granted immunity to the girl, in exchange for testimony in the case, in which she admitted to participating in the beating. The incident left blood all over Michelle Davis’ house and injuries to her head and body.
The jury deliberated for less than four hours before convicting Arthur Davis of the crime. He’s scheduled to be sentenced at 3 p.m. Jan. 25.
The Davis’ son is being charged separately, as a juvenile. As part of a plea deal, prosecutors have offered to reduce his charge from attempted first-degree murder to aggravated battery.
Defense attorney Greg Robinson declined an interview request after Davis’ verdict was handed down.