City to consider amendment to Horizon 2020
Agenda highlights ¢ 6:35 p.m. Tuesday ¢ City Hall, Sixth and Massachusetts streets
City commissioners will decide whether to accept the Horizon 2020 Preservation Plan Element, which has been recommended by the Historic Resources Commission.
If the Horizon 2020 Preservation Plan Element is adopted by commissioners it will be used by property owners, residents, city staff and others. The amendment to the original Horizon 2020 growth study contains detailed information about Lawrence’s and Douglas County’s historic preservation goals and priorities.
- Approve City Commission meeting minutes from July 13.
- Approve all claims.
- Approve licenses as recommended by the Department of Administrative Service.
¢ Authorize city manager to enter into an engineering contract for the preliminary design report for the 2005 water line improvements with BG Consultants in the amount of $34,651.28.
Adopt the following ordinances on second and final reading
- Ordinance No. 7800, rezoning 4.07 acres from agricultural to single-family residential, property south of West Sixth Street and west of East 1000 Road. Submitted by Williams Spurgeon Kuhl & Freshnock Inc. for Kansas/Nebraska Association of Seventh Day Adventist Inc., property owner of record.
- Ordinance No. 7803, establishing a temporary building permit moratorium during the preparation of the Sixth Street area plan.
Adopt the following resolutions
- Resolution No. 6555, setting out the findings of the governing body and ordering the construction of Third Street from Alabama to Illinois streets.
- Resolution No. 6556, declaring an unmarked, unfenced excavation at 700 block No. 3 Lyon Street, North Lawrence, as a nuisance and ordering its abatement.
Adopt findings of fact, approve rezoning requests and authorize drafting of ordinances to be placed on a future agenda:
- A request to rezone a tract of land approximately 2.63 acres from single-family residential and planned commercial development limited commercial district. The property is at 3300 Iowa. Submitted by Landplan Engineering for Wal-Mart Real Estate Business Trust and Lawrence Cashways LLC, property owners of record.
- A request to rezone a tract of land approximately 15.02 acres from limited commercial district and planned commercial development district to planned commercial development. The property is at 3400 Iowa. Submitted by BG Consultants Inc. for Schnaer Family Real Estate Limited Partnership and Lawrence Cashways LLC, property owners of record.
- Approve Crown Chevrolet/Toyota and Crown Pre-Owned Cars; 3400, 3434 S. Iowa.
- Approve the redevelopment of an existing site plan for a building addition to the existing Wal-Mart store at 3300 S. Iowa.
- Authorize the mayor to sign a letter of support for funding for Amtrak.
- Authorize the mayor to sign a letter officially designating Success By 6 as the eligible local council for the city of Lawrence for the purposes of the Early Learning Opportunities Act discretionary grant program.
- Receive letter from Waldeck, Matteuzzi & Sloan, P.C. regarding Western Hills rezoning issues.
- Authorize the mayor to sign a release of mortgage for Christina Lesher, 760 N. Seventh St.
- City manager’s report.
- Receive report concerning environmental code enforcement standard.
- Receive historic preservation plan and initiate text amendment to Horizon 2020, authorize drafting of ordinance for placement on a future agenda.
- Receive staff recommendation to publish 2005 budget and set Aug. 10 as public hearing date. Publication of the 2005 budget expenditures will establish the maximum limits of the 2005 budget.
- Receive a staff presentation and memorandum on the new zoning code and implementation plan. The memorandum will bring the commission up to date since the Planning Commission forwarded a recommendation for adoption in February. Internet access is required to view the draft land development code. The Web site is www.lawrenceplanning.org/documents/PC-DraftCode.pdf
- Receive draft request for proposals for cost of growth study.