Lawrence Parks & Rec to offer week of free fitness demo classes
Lawrence residents will have a chance to sample several fitness classes next week, prior to the start of most of the local Parks and Recreation Department’s spring classes on March 18.
The department will host free demonstration classes at Sports Pavilion Lawrence, 100 Rock Chalk Lane, and the Community Building, 115 W. 11th St. Registration is not required, but the classes are offered on a first-come, first-served basis.
Here are the classes and when they’re available the week of Monday, March 11 through Saturday, March 16, according to a news release from the department. Many classes involve TRX, or Total Resistance exercises, a system of suspension training that was developed by a Navy SEAL.
• TR-Xpress, a nonstop TRX workout that aims to involve all muscles of the body: 4:30 to 5 p.m. Monday or Wednesday; 6:15 to 6:45 p.m. Tuesday or Thursday, all at SPL.
• TRX Basics, a class that teaches foundational exercises to focus on mobility, flexibility and core strength: 5:10 to 5:55 p.m. Monday or Wednesday; 5:25 to 6:10 p.m. Tuesday or Thursday, all at SPL.
• Power House, which aims to “take your love of cardio workouts and turn it into a passion for cycling,” according to LPRD’s Activities Guide: 4:30 to 5:15 p.m. Tuesday and Thursday at the Community Building.
• Spin Core, a class that offers 25 minutes of high-energy spin followed by 20 minutes of floor exercises: 6:15 to 7 p.m. Tuesday and 5:20 to 6:05 p.m. Thursday at the Community Building.
• TRX Body Blast, a high-intensity interval workout set to music: 6:15 to 6:45 p.m. Thursday at the Community Building.
• TRX Yoga Flow, with dim lighting and “inspiring music,” the class combines posturing and breathing of yoga exercises with TRX: 6:55 to 7:25 p.m. Thursday at the Community Building; 6:40 to 7:10 p.m. Friday at SPL.
• TRX Strengthen n’ Stretch, a class suitable for all fitness levels, according to LPRD, that offers 20 minutes of full-body strengthening and 25 minutes of stretching the muscles: 5:45 to 6:25 p.m. Friday and 11:20 a.m. to 12:05 p.m. Saturday at SPL.
• TRX Booty Blast, which aims to shape and tone the lower body: 9:35 to 10:05 a.m. Saturday at SPL.
More information on all classes is available at lawks.us/Fitness, or contact Jo Ellis, recreation program supervisor, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 785-330-7355.