CRAVE: When good company calls for good food, these hit the spot
photo by: Getty Images
Yields 8 servings.
2 cups crushed cornflakes
1⁄4 cup diced onion
1 1⁄2 pounds lean ground beef
Dash of salt and pepper
2⁄3 cup applesauce
1⁄2 cup ketchup
1 cup tomato soup
1⁄2 cup water
2 1⁄2 cups tomato juice
1. Preheat oven to 350 F.
2. In a large bowl, combine cornflakes, onion, ground beef, salt and pepper, egg, and applesauce. Mix well.
3. Shape mixture into 1 1⁄2-inch balls. Place in two 9-inch cast-iron skillets, and set aside.
4. In another large bowl, blend ketchup, tomato soup, water, and tomato juice. Pour over meatballs.
5. Bake for about 1 hour, or until meatballs are cooked through and tomato sauce is thickened.
photo by: Getty Images
Yields 12 servings.
4 pounds unpared potatoes, cooked, drained, and cooled slightly
11⁄2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
1 cup diced onion
1⁄4 cup plus 3 tablespoons butter, divided
1 can (10 1⁄4 ounces) condensed, cream of celery soup
2 cups sour cream
1⁄2 cup crushed cornflakes
1. Peel potatoes, then shred into a bowl. Add cheese, and set aside.
2. In a skillet over medium heat, saute onion in 1⁄4 cup butter until tender. Remove from heat. Stir in soup and sour cream, and blend well.
3. Pour soup mixture over potatoes and cheese in bowl, and mix to blend.
4. Turn mixture into a greased 9-by-13-inch baking dish. Cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate overnight.
5. About 15 minutes before you’re ready to bake the potatoes, preheat oven to 350 F.
6. In a small microwave-safe bowl, melt remaining butter.
7. Sprinkle cornflakes over mixture in dish, and drizzle with melted butter.
8. Bake for 1 hour, or until casserole is bubbling and cornflakes are golden.
Yields 8 to 10 servings.
2 bunches broccoli florets, cut into bite-size pieces
1 pound bacon, cooked and crumbled
1⁄2 cup diced red onion
1 cup golden raisins, optional
1 cup mayonnaise
2 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1⁄3 cup shredded cheddar cheese, optional
Salt and pepper, to taste
1. In a large mixing bowl, combine broccoli, bacon, and onion. Add raisins, if using.
2. In a small bowl, blend together mayonnaise, sugar, and vinegar. Pour over broccoli mixture, and mix well to blend.
3. Cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate for 30 minutes to 1 hour.
4. Just before serving, stir in cheese, if using, and season with salt and pepper.