CRAVE: Kebabs and coleslaw great for one last cookout
photo by: New Vision Photography
Garlicky Beef Kebabs
1⁄4 cup Dijon mustard
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
2 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons honey
2 teaspoons snipped fresh rosemary
2 teaspoons smoked paprika
4 cloves garlic, minced
1⁄4 teaspoon salt
1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
Dash cayenne pepper
2 pounds beef sirloin
1. In small bowl, whisk together all ingredients except beef sirloin. Cover and let stand at room temperature for at least 1 hour to blend flavors.
2. Trim beef and cut into 1 1⁄2-inch pieces. Place in bowl and add half the marinade. Toss gently to coat. Pour into plastic zipper-seal bag and marinate in refrigerator for at least one hour.
3. Thread meat on 10-inch skewers, leaving 1⁄4 inch between pieces.
4. Heat grill to hot, and then reduce to medium.
5. Place meat skewers on grill rack over heat. Cover and grill for eight to 10 minutes, or until meat reaches desired doneness, turning once and brushing with remaining marinade halfway through grilling.
Round Out the Meal
Don’t forget the all-important side dishes and sweet desserts.
Cookouts just aren’t complete without potato salad, macaroni salad, baked beans and coleslaw. And for dessert, nothing beats a batch of delicious, homemade cookies.
1⁄3 cup sugar
1⁄2 teaspoon salt
1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
1⁄4 cup milk
1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
1⁄4 cup buttermilk
1 1⁄2 tablespoons white vinegar
2 1⁄2 tablespoons lemon juice
8 cups finely chopped cabbage
1⁄4 cup finely shredded carrot
1. In large bowl, combine sugar, salt, pepper, milk, mayonnaise, buttermilk, vinegar and lemon juice. Beat until smooth. Add cabbage and carrot, and mix well.
2. Cover with lid or plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least two hours before serving. Yields six to eight servings.
Sweet Potato Salad
3 pounds sweet potatoes, cooked, peeled and cubed
1⁄2 cup finely chopped onion
1 cup chopped green pepper
1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt, optional
1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
1 1⁄2 cups mayonnaise
1⁄3 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
1. In large bowl, combine sweet potatoes, onion, green pepper, salt and pepper. Stir in mayonnaise and hot pepper sauce, and mix well.
2. Cover with lid or plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least one hour before serving. Yields 10 servings.
Chocolate Chip Pudding Cookies
If you like chocolate chip cookies that melt in your mouth, you’ll love this recipe.
21⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup butter, softened
3⁄4 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
1⁄4 cup granulated sugar
1 package (4-serving size) vanilla instant pudding mix
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 package (12 ounces) chocolate chips
1 cup chopped nuts, optional
1. Heat oven to 375°F.
2. In large bowl, combine flour and baking soda, mixing thoroughly.
3. In another large bowl, beat butter, sugars, pudding mix and vanilla extract until smooth and creamy. Beat in eggs, one at a time.
4. Gradually beat flour mixture into sugar mixture. Stir in chocolate chips and nuts. (Batter will be stiff.)
5. Drop batter by teaspoonfuls, 2 inches apart, onto ungreased baking sheets. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes, or until golden yet still soft. Yields 7 dozen cookies.