Holiday Happenings 2019: Baldwin City to greet the holiday season with Festival of Lights
photo by: Elvyn Jones
The annual Festival of Lights Parade will be the highlight of a full day of activities Dec. 7 as Baldwin City greets the holiday season.
Baldwin City Chamber of Commerce executive director Jeannette Blackmar said the parade will once again begin at 6 p.m. The parade route will start on Eighth Street along the west side of the Baker University campus and then turn east on High Street. As always, she said, participants in the parade are encouraged to decorate floats, vehicles, bicycles or themselves with strings of lights.
The Christmas tree lighting and pictures with Santa Claus will follow the parade at 6:30 p.m. at Baldwin City Hall, 803 Eighth St., and a fireworks show is planned to start at the same time.
Festivities will get started even earlier in the day with a variety of holiday markets and sales, and Santa will be making an appearance for breakfast. Here’s the complete schedule:
• 9 a.m. — Breakfast with Santa, Baldwin Elementary School Intermediate Center, 100 Bullpup Drive.
• 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. — Vintage Park Open House and Bazaar, 321 Crimson Ave.
• 10 a.m., 1:30 p.m., 5 p.m. — Storytime at The Nook, 703 Eighth St.
10 a.m. to 5 P.m. American Legion Holiday Mart, 803 High St.
• 11 a.m., 2 p.m., 3:30 p.m., Gingerbread House Party, Lumberyard Arts Center, 718 High St.
• 1 p.m., Baldwin Academy of Dance and Voice performance of “The Nutcracker,” USD 348 Performing Arts Center, 415 Eisenhower St.
• 2 p.m., 4:15 p.m., 6 p.m. — Polar Express ride, Midland Railway, 1515 High St.
• 4 p.m. — Victorian carolers, throughout downtown.
• 4:30 p.m. — Baldwin First United Methodist Church holiday soup supper, Seventh and Grove streets.
• 5 to 8 p.m. — Baldwin Academy of Dance and Voice sip and shop, 711 High St.
• 6 p.m. — Festival of Lights Parade, downtown Baldwin City.
• 6:30 p.m. — Christmas tree lighting, City Hall, 803 Eighth St.
• 6:30 p.m. — Fireworks.
• 6:45 p.m. — Pictures with Santa, City Hall.