Tuesday final day to register to vote for 2020 general election; advance voting to begin Wednesday
photo by: Nick Krug/Journal-World File Photo
Tuesday is the final day to register for the Nov. 3 election, which will decide the many federal, state and local races.
Along with the races for the U.S. presidency and many of the seats in Congress, voters will have a say in the races for state and county seats too.
Residents may register to vote in person at the Douglas County Courthouse, 1100 Massachusetts St., or online at the Kansas secretary of state’s website. They may also fill out the registration form and mail, fax or scan it to the county clerk’s office. Those who have changed addresses since they last voted are required to re-register. More information on registering to vote can be found on the county’s election website, douglascountyelections.com.
Once registered, a voter may also request to vote by mail, which has significantly increased this year because of the ongoing coronavirus pandemic. To vote by mail, a registered voter must fill out an application, which is listed on the county’s election website. Voters may also request an advance ballot through an online form on the state’s website, ksvotes.org.
Advance voting will begin Wednesday. Douglas County has established many locations for in-person early voting and dropoff sites for advance mail ballots. A full list of times and locations for in-person advance voting can be found on the county’s election website.
For those who received an advance mail ballot and would like to hand deliver their ballot rather than using the mail, they can do so at these sites:
• Douglas County Courthouse, 1100 Massachusetts St.
• Douglas County Fairgrounds, 2120 Harper St.
• Douglas County Human Services Building, 2518 Ridge Court
• South Iowa Satellite Office, 2329 S. Iowa St, Ste. M
• Treasurer’s South Satellite Office, 2000 W. 31st St., Ste. B
• Golf Course Superintendents Headquarters, 1421 Research Park Drive
• Theatre Lawrence, 4660 Bauer Farm Drive
• Baldwin City City Hall, 803 Eighth St., Baldwin City
• Eudora City Hall, 4 E. Seventh St., Eudora
• Lecompton City Hall, 327 Elmore St., Lecompton
Those who wish to vote through mail have until Oct. 27 to request an advance mail ballot. All advance mail ballots must be postmarked by Tuesday, Nov. 3, and returned to the clerk’s office by Friday, Nov. 6, to be counted.Information about the state and county candidates may be found at ljworld.com/2020-election.