LJWorld.com weblogs The Yellow Tape

Motorcyclists race, unaware, toward accident

Last night, two motorcycles were racing east down Clinton Parkway in the lane next to me. They were headed from Clinton Lake toward Iowa Street. They were clearly out to have fun and didn't realize a fellow motorcyclist had just lost his life several hours earlier straight ahead - at the intersection of 23rd and Iowa.It seems people might be a little more cautious on the road, especially after all the deadly accidents in the Lawrence area recently.Yesterday -- An Indiana man was killed after colliding with a semi-truck on his motorcycle.Saturday -- A Lawrence man was killed after colliding with a city T bus on his mo-ped.June 28 A Douglas County sheriff's deputy was struck and killed while riding his bike west of Eudora.June 27 A Lawrence man was killed when he lost control of his motorcycle and went off the road near Lone Star Lake.May 4 A Lawrence man was struck and killed by a hit-and-run driver.As of yesterday, 150 traffic fatalities had been reported to the Kansas Department of Transportation this year. There were 414 reported in all of 2007.I hope those guys next to me had second thoughts about racing around town when they got up to the accident scene ahead of them.

Comments

d_prowess 6 years, 10 months ago

The odd part of the story is that he states that there have been 150 traffic fatalities this year and 414 in all of 2007. The context of the story makes it sound like we are seeing a dramatic increase, when really, if the average continues for the year, we will have about 300 fatalities, down significantly from last year. Obviously people need to be careful. The story just seemed to flow funny and illogically.

pissedinlawrence 6 years, 10 months ago

Oh I can't stand Jesse Fray's articles, he always has something bad to write about and his information isn't always correct.

trinity 6 years, 10 months ago

wow rcr, i'm glad you are ok...as i was reading of your mishap i was "uh huh uh huh" relating it exactly to a near miss on me, in el dorado ks earlier this summer! except-mine didn't end up with me getting hit or me hitting the ninkompoop that switched lanes right in front of me, WITHOUT looking, but i left a good amount of tire tread on that street i tell ya. and cagers you need to realize, that when/if i buzz up beside you on my motorcycle it is likely because i am TRYING like HELL to stay OUT of your blind spot!!!! i need you to acknowledge that i'm there beside you in the next lane! i'm not trying to show off, race, or anything of that nature; i'm just trying to be seen. i fully intend to invest in some vance&hines pipes for my scoot so her sweet thunder will be louder-so that people know i'm there.

ksdivakat 6 years, 10 months ago

OnlyTheOne......I KNOW that motorcycles RACE down clinton prkway, weve seen it many times, over and over, and in fact 2 weeks ago we pulled over a police officer as there were 4 of them doing at least 80 and the cop acted like it was no big deal and never went to investigate it! Also, on my street, which is a dangerous street, there are the motorcycles that look like they should be for 2 y/o's but they are motorcycles, Im sure you know what im talking about and the neighbor guys race those things up and down the street all the time, and again we have called the police cause those guys are gonna get killed, you cant see them until you hear the engines roar, and again, no police ever come by to check it out. So there is only so much you can do and if law enforcement isnt willing to do anything about it, then what do you do?? I would hate to see any of these boys get hurt, they are all college age, and I know they are just having fun, but it is a very dangerous fun.

rcr 6 years, 10 months ago

"It seems people might be a little more cautious on the road, especially after all the deadly accidents in the Lawrence area recently"Sometimes even being cautious isn't good enough. I was riding my motorcycle to work this morning and was being extra cautious because of what had happened yesterday afternoon. I was in the left hand lane, and a vehicle in the right hand lane decided she was going the wrong direction and quickly turned in front of me to make a u-turn going across my lane. I had virtually no time to react and slammed into the side of her. Fortunately my outcome was better than yesterdays, with just a few hours spent in the hospital.

RKLOG 6 years, 10 months ago

Don't be Evil Knievel, be livin tomorrow.

OnlyTheOne 6 years, 10 months ago

Define "racing!" Now I don't know the type or year of the motorcycles to which you refer but I seriously doubt they were racing. Or was it they were accelerating faster than you and enjoying themselves? Automobile drivers have little knowledge of how quickly a motorcycle accelerates - without even trying. What were you doing, speedwise? Were you driving in a manner which caused them to consider it's safer in front of you than beside or behind you? Did you think about being more attentive when you came to the accident scene?

clarkentsman 6 years, 10 months ago

d_prowessWASHINGTON (AP) -- High gas prices could turn out to be a lifesaver for some drivers. The authors of a new study say gas prices are causing driving declines that could result in a third fewer auto deaths annually, with the most dramatic drop likely to be among teen drivers.You would not know it from the number we have had the last month!http://license.icopyright.net/user/viewFreeUse.act?fuid=MTI3ODc2Mg==

redwaggoner 6 years, 10 months ago

Two or four wheels, one should always drive defensively! Be it 23 & Iowa or 15th & Iowa or 6th & Iowa, This is one of the busiest streets in Lawrence and unless one watches these intersections careflly and approaches each wide awake someone is going to get hurt!