LJWorld.com weblogs The Yellow Tape

Web site allows you to "rate" police officers

Have you ever had a run-in with a police officer and just needed to vent?Have you ever had a run-in with an officer and wanted to offer praise?Well, there's a Web site we stumbled across that lets you do exactly that.It's called [RATEMYCOP.com][1]. It enables you to "rate" and provide written feedback about any officer in Lawrence or Douglas County, in addition to officers in 14,996 other law enforcement jurisdictions across the country.You're able to identify whether the officer was terrible, cold, unfriendly, approachable or exceptional. You can also rate whether officers used their position of authority appropriately, if they were fair, and if you were satisfied with the outcome of an incident. Then, you can speak your mind.The [site][1] seems to be catching on.For example, one Lawrence police officer has received mixed reviews.One person exclaimed how comforting the officer was when she was involved in a car crash. Yet another person complains about the same officer, claiming he hides behind mailboxes to catch people speeding.A private company based in Los Angeles started the site in September 2007 and it's generating some controversy from law enforcement agencies across the country. The Web site obtained 170,444 officers' names from across the country, through Freedom of Information requests. Officers' names are public record.A spokeswoman for the Douglas County Sheriff's Office told me the office already has ways for people to express their opinions about how the agency or individual officers are performing.The agency has forms available on its Web site, [dgso.org][2]. They're also available at the sheriff's office, the Douglas County Jail, or by contacting any sheriff's officer."We can accurately assess the information without utilizing a third party, such as [www.RATEMYCOP.com][1] and take appropriate action promptly," said Lt. Kari Wempe, sheriff's spokeswoman. "It is the goal of the sheriff's office to provide excellent service to the community, not only by our patrol officers, but also by all employees of our department."I, personally, have a deep respect for all law enforcement officers. But, perhaps the online forum will be one more way to keep them on their toes. [1]: http://RATEMYCOP.com/ [2]: http://www.dgso.org/web/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2&Itemid=1www.dgso.org

Comments

yellowhouse 5 years, 11 months ago

And just to set things straight my second rating was on Sheriff McGovern. And you can see by the date they were done a long time ago.

doc1 5 years, 11 months ago

cool site, but like most things in this world, people only have enough energy to complain. Rarely do they have enough to praise. So a good cop might get a bad vote by any crazy person out there giving him a bad rap. It's a good idea, just flawed.

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 5 years, 11 months ago

How nice... an outlet for yellow journalism....

been_there 5 years, 11 months ago

Looks like the only one complaining is Yellowhouse.

frank mcguinness 5 years, 11 months ago

doc1 you obviously have not looked at the site as most of the comments are positive and quite frankly I would have to agree with some of the posts. Ed Brunt for example: Great ratings and really one of lawrence's finest. Officer Macatee probably not one of lawrence's finest. And as for leaving kudos, I personally left more approvals then negatives but at least there is an opportunity to do so. By the way Yellow House isn't the only people in lawrence to have an experience with the cops.

yellowhouse 5 years, 11 months ago

I did discover if you leave two for the Sheriffs dept you can leave one more for the Police dept. Even though the rules say you can only leave two. I left my third comment for Fred D'orcle in the Sheriffs section. He gave me a parking ticket about 15 years ago when he was still with the Lawrence Police dept. for parking my truck facing the wrong direction on the street. But hey I forgive him and he still ranks as a good cop in my book!

yellowhouse 5 years, 11 months ago

Hey how bout this, Yellow house can get blamed not only for everything posted on the web site, but maybe there should be an investigation to find out if Yellow House conspired with the creators of ratemycop to create the web site just so yellow house "loonies" would have a place to annonomously vent...because eventually the Yellow House will take the balme anyway! I think someone needs to spend a few million tax dollars to investigate this right away!

skinny 5 years, 11 months ago

Heck, it took the LJW four days to print the story about the guy who accidently shot himself on the east side of town.I agree with Glock, another example of lazy LJW content.

BlackVelvet 5 years, 11 months ago

wow...as long as folks are honest in their ratings, I think it's a good deal. As long as folks are honest.

yellowhouse 5 years, 11 months ago

But for those who feel by like the bigger better person by putting the blame on me for everything everybody else does, go right ahead, I have big shoulders and I am used to it by now!

Charles L Bloss Jr 5 years, 11 months ago

We are served by the sheriff department. We have been well pleased for many years with their professionalism, and caring. They are stretched thin by budget restraints, yet they are always pleasant when we need them. I know they probably have to go from call to call most of their shift. Sheriff McGovern does a very good job, as do his deputies. Thank you for such good service. Lynn

yellowhouse 5 years, 11 months ago

And by the way that is the only ticket I have ever gotten! I guess that means, thanks to Fred I have a criminal history now!

nekansan 5 years, 11 months ago

Looks like the Yellowhouse loonies have found this site.

yellowhouse 5 years, 11 months ago

I am the one that left the comment on officer Brunt. I saw the home and away program about him, and was very impressed with his softer side. Anybody who leaves a rating knows you are only allowed two. I don't know who the other ratings were left by!But I can say that I try to see the good in people, from there the negative facts can speak for themself.

Aisling 5 years, 11 months ago

okay, now it seems that LJW is just 'smitty' baiting. It is amusing though.

pace 5 years, 10 months ago

The agency has forms available on its Web site, dgso.org. They're also available at the sheriff's office, the Douglas County Jail, or by contacting any sheriff's officer. My opinion, is the lpd pays special attention to the complaint/comment forms, they even have a special round file for them.

orlysud 5 years, 9 months ago

I believe that the Sheriff's Department is wonderful but the Police Department are snotty! Don't get me wrong PO's, you do a great job but just need to come off your high horse and follow after the Sheriff's department attitude, which is wonderful.