Potential traffic delays for Monday through March 6
Scheduled projects that could affect your travel in the region during the coming week:
• Work continues on The Oread, a hotel and mixed-use project just north of Kansas University’s main campus, and that means ongoing traffic restrictions now expected to last through the end of the year: 12th Street is closed to traffic headed west from Oread Avenue to Indiana Street; and Indiana is closed from 11th to 12th streets. Lawrence city commissioners will review the traffic restrictions — along with plans for this summer to rebuild roads adjacent to The Oread — during their meeting starting at 6:35 p.m. Tuesday at City Hall.
• The right lane for traffic headed west on Sixth Street, from Folks Road to the intersection with Wakarusa Drive, is closed for extension of an existing right-turn lane. Traffic headed north on Wakarusa, from just south of Sixth to a point just south of Overland Drive, also is getting squeezed to make way for a new right-turn lane being added north of Sixth.
• Work to replace tiles on roadways crossing railroad tracks in North Lawrence calls for closures along stretches of these streets: North Ninth Street to reopen sometime Monday, with North Third Street to close sometime Monday, then reopen late Tuesday; North Seventh Street to be closed Wednesday, Thursday and Friday. While Seventh is closed, riders looking to board a city T bus should move over to Lyon or Locust streets, west of Seventh.
• Lanes will be closed for traffic headed north on Interstate 35 from U.S. Highway 56 in Gardner to U.S. Highway 169 in Olathe, during overnight hours beginning at 10 p.m. Tuesday and continuing through 5 a.m. Wednesday. The same schedule will be followed each day until Friday, when the closures will begin at 10 p.m. and continue through 8 a.m. Saturday, then resume at 10 p.m. Saturday and continue through 10 a.m. March 8. The closures are to accommodate work on a new bridge for an interchange at Lone Elm Road. The closures had been expected to begin last week, but were postponed.
• The left lane for traffic headed north and the right lane for traffic moving south will be closed from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday on I-35, from 175th Street to the interchange of 151st Street, U.S. 169 and Kansas Highway 7 in Johnson County.
U.S. Highway 69
• Traffic headed north on U.S. Highway 69 will be squeezed into one lane at Interstate 435 in Johnson County from 9 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Monday for grading work.
• Drivers headed west on three stretches of Interstate 70 are scheduled to face lane closures Monday in Wyandotte County, all for work on signs: from I-435 to 110th Street; at Seventh Street; and at Park Drive. At least one lane will remain open at all times.
• Traffic headed north and south on Antioch Road will face intermittent lane closures at Interstate 435 in Johnson County from 9 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Tuesday, as crews install signs.