LJWorld.com weblogs Vantage Point

Biden: Dan Quayle II

I wasn't much into politics when Dan Quayle was vice president, but I heard enough about his gaffes that I questioned his intelligence, despite his Ivy League education. Who could forget the potato debacle? I often laughed out loud with the late-night comics who always seemed to have something to say about Dan Quayle.Recently I read and heard about Joe Biden's gaffe that proves to be almost as priceless as that of Dan Quayle. I'm beginning to wonder if the job of vice president carries with it the role of comic relief.During Joe Biden's speech in Columbia, Mo., last week, he asked Sen. Chuck Graham to stand for applause from the audience. He wanted to honor Graham, and that was very noble of Biden, except for the fact that Graham was in a wheelchair. [See the clip.][1]I almost fell out of my chair when I first heard about this. While I can understand that people make mistakes and sometimes we put our foot in our mouth, I was puzzled by what Biden did. If he was going to speak of someone's accomplishments and introduce him to the crowd, would he not have at least known that the person was in a wheelchair ? The second incident really has me questioning not only Biden's common sense but also that of Obama for picking him as his running mate. [In a recent speech,][2] he said that Hillary Clinton would be a better choice for vice president than he is. I couldn't believe my ears. How could someone who was just chosen to be a vice presidential candidate turn around and tell the voters that he was not the right choice? What does that say about this common sense or maybe even his confidence? I didn't hear the whole speech and maybe that may have been out of context, but in today's world of soundbites and YouTube videos, that line will play a part in the perception the voters have of him. Obviously it did mine. It's like getting a great job and then you go around telling everyone in that company that you are not the best candidate for the job. Imagine how management will feel when they get wind of that.That brings me to Obama's judgment. How are we to put faith in Obama's ability to select the right people to work for him in his government, when his most important selection turns on him? There was a lot of talk about Sarah Palin not being properly vetted but in light of Biden's remarks, maybe his vetting should be questioned. I cannot fathom the shame and hurt that Obama must have felt when he heard what Biden said. A sound decision-making process is of utmost importance for the president of the United States. Not all decisions may be right, as George Bush has proven, but at least his staff stood by him. How can we put our faith in the leader of the most powerful nation in the world when his own hand-picked partner tells him that he was the wrong choice? Of all people to support Obama, Biden should be first in line, not the first to cast doubt. Is this the pair that you want to make decisions in the White House? [1]: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRV5Y1... [2]: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVy2yh...

Comments

bad_dog 6 years, 3 months ago

beawolf, I was addressing Ronda's 12:46 post. The 3rd paragraph of my post addresses the dilemma Obama faced with Hillary and the VP spot. I can't dispute your comment regarding the inanity of McCain's choice of Palin as a running mate.

Haiku_Cuckoo 6 years, 3 months ago

These numerous flubs should be referred to as "Joe's Gems".Here's another one:"I mean, you got the first mainstream African-American who is articulate and bright and clean and a nice-looking guy. I mean, that's a storybook, man." - Joe Biden describing Barack Obama in February 2007

1029 6 years, 3 months ago

"I wasn't much into politics when Dan Quayle was vice president:"Yet he apparently followed politics enough that he now feels qualified to compare Quayle to Biden?Maybe you should wait until next election to be a first-time voter, Paul.I can't believe the LJ-W lets idiots write this garbage.

BrianR 6 years, 3 months ago

Cat, I don't necessarily disagree with Paul either except when he asks, "Is this the pair that you want to make decisions in the White House?" and the answer is yes. Even though Palin can field dress a moose, she is way too right-wing. However, if she put a video of herself on YouTube field dressing Karl Rove or Tom Cruise, I might consider voting for her ticket.I think Biden might provide solace for people who might miss Dubya when he's gone.

Haiku_Cuckoo 6 years, 3 months ago

Here's another one of "Joe's Gems":"You cannot go into a 7-11 or a Dunkin' Donuts unless you have a slight Indian accent. Oh, I'm not joking."- Joe Biden, Commenting on the growth of the Indian-American population in Delaware, June 2006

ilovelucy 6 years, 3 months ago

Paul: he made an error---oops. However, to compare Biden with Dan Quayle is downright laughable.Please get your political information from a large range of sources and not just from FOX news. As a first time voter, I would hope you would want to be as informed as possible.

1029 6 years, 3 months ago

I apologize for the first-time voter remarks now that I see Paul was previously not a citizen and could not vote. I still think he sounds like an idiot though and his arguments don't make any sense, especially his questioning of Obama's judgement in selecting a VP when McCain selected an unqualified moron.

a_flock_of_jayhawks 6 years, 3 months ago

Paul asks..."Is this the pair that you want to make decisions in the White House?"Consider the alternative.

bad_dog 6 years, 3 months ago

"...Hillary was not only a better choice for the VP slot, but for the top position. Obama should be ashamed - his ego has gotten in the way on this one and it just might be his downfall." RMSimply put, if Democratic voters believed Hillary was in fact the "better choice" she would have won the nomination. Whether she took Obama too lightly remains to be seen-you'll have to ask her. If that inures to the benefit of the Republicans Obama will just have to live with the results-it's his campaign to win or lose. "Experience" born of time in a certain position does not always correlate with leadership capability. I can't think of anything that would have galvanized the Right more than the choice of Hillary for any position on the ticket. Rush, Coulter, et al would have had a field day rehashing everything from Whitewater to Monica coupled with a dose of "the dangers of Slick Willie's 3rd term" operating out of the backrooms of the White House. Although I believe Obama seriously considered Hillary, I really think he had no choice but to look elsewhere.As for your comment regarding Obama's ego-I just don't see that characteristic in him. Self-confidence is an important characteristic for leadership and success in any vocation. It is not a character flaw. I'm sorry if self-confidence and willingness to speak your mind strikes you as egotistical. Given what I've historically seen from you, I believe you share those characteristics as well. Considering I prefer strong women with the willingness to speak their mind, I won't hold that against you ;-) Numerous reports indicated McCain was going to select either Lieberman or Ridge-despite their pro choice leanings, until he saw the polls concurrent with the DNC. Considering Palin's recent downturn in popularity as the newness wears off and the duplicity of her mayoral/gubernatorial claims became apparent, I think you could just as easily say McCain's desperation got in the way on this one and it just might be his downfall. I used to respect McCain and would have voted for him in 2000. Not so much now.

guesswho 6 years, 3 months ago

Maybe he saw beyond Graham's inability to stand - I have been in hallways with friends in wheelchairs and automatically head for the stairs - forgetting they would rather take the elevator. Unfortunately in our 24/7 quest for 'news' gaffes on all sides occur. Makes you wonder who in their right minds would ever run for president or vice president with all the scrutiny.

jumpin_catfish 6 years, 3 months ago

1029 (Anonymous) said:Apparently the LJW with let about any idiot comment, they let 1029.Apparently they do 1029..... ha ha ha ha!

oldvet 6 years, 3 months ago

What a dynamic duo... The messiah sees dead people and the joey heals people in wheelchairs...

slang4d 6 years, 3 months ago

Biden can bring people to their feet...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=955Y3NJTRIEMcCain had to prompt people to stand up during his RNC speech by saying "stand up...stand up!" over and over again. Biden might be a gaffe master, but he's had his share of powerful speaking moments. Let's be honest here...he's going to wipe the floor with Palin during the VP debate.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FpPR4VPt47Ihttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNE7iE3qGRchttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jp_xYsFifTchttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82JZvqt6kp0

beawolf 6 years, 3 months ago

"Simply put, if Democratic voters believed Hillary was in fact the "better choice" she would have won the nomination. "....What has this got to do with the VP spot? Using that logic, McCain has really scraped the bottom of the barrel with Palin as his choice.

subtlety 6 years, 3 months ago

Mr. Thevarajoo's comments are just silly. It was certainly a mistake when he asked a man in a wheelchair to stand for recognition, but by comparison to the really important mistakes candidates can make, it's pretty trivial. The petty nonsense that appears to be the focus of his concern leads me to wonder, has he examined the policy positions of the candidates? That Kansans continue to vote against our own economic self-interest and continually boost the candidacy of those who export our jobs, horde our wealth, and destroy the middle class, is really frustrating. So Paul, I hope you're a really rich guy, because if you're not, you're preparing to shoot yourself in the butt. Trickle down was long ago exposed as "trickle on" economics. I'm tired of being trickled on.

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 6 years, 3 months ago

"... Dan Quayle II"I think you missed a great title opportunity, here...... Dan Quayle, The Sequayle

BrianR 6 years, 3 months ago

Dan Quayle II, my exact thoughts about Palin.

jumpin_catfish 6 years, 3 months ago

Messed that one up royal...1029 said: I can't believe the LJW lets idiots write this garbage.Apparently they do 1029:.. ha ha ha ha!I guess I'm in the idiot category now, it took me two tries, jeeezzz!

jumpin_catfish 6 years, 3 months ago

Don't try and change the subject there, BrianR, Paul has hit on something here and it is worth thoughtful consideration...........OK, I've thought about and Paul is right.

LiberalDude 6 years, 3 months ago

Wow, Paul Thevarajoo is really proving that he's a win-at-all-costs Rove Republican with this crap!

Ronda Miller 6 years, 3 months ago

Interesting blog, Paul. I agree it does make one wonder about what was going on in Obama's head. It is obvious to most everyone in the party (even Obama's VP pick) that Hillary was not only a better choice for the VP slot, but for the top position. Obama should be ashamed - his ego has gotten in the way on this one and it just might be his downfall.

1029 6 years, 3 months ago

Ok, this guy's an idiot. He is a first-time voter, yet he must be at least 40 years old if he clearly remembers enough about Dan Quayle to compare him to Joe Biden. He says he "couldn't believe his ears" that Biden apparently said "he was not the right choice" (as VP), but then goes on to say "I didn't hear the whole speech and maybe that may have been out of context". So what exactly did you "hear", Paul?I once heard this one guy say that he was told by this other guy that.......

slang4d 6 years, 3 months ago

If Biden gaffed and then didn't recognize it or make fun of himself, I would look at him in a different light. However, he's always had a sense of humor about his inability to censor himself. Personally, I find it charming. Who hasn't had a foot in mouth moment (or twenty)? McCain had a foot in mouth moment (the fundamentals of the economy comment) and twisted it around to mean something else (oh, I meant the "workers.") Biden has always been willing to laugh about it.

theloneconservative 6 years, 3 months ago

Paul, That was a great article. It is true that gaffs are made on both sides of the fence. However, our primary concern is in making sure as a country that we elect someone who knows what leadership is about. I'm not a huge fan of either candidates voting records.McCain is supposed to be a Republican. However, his voting record and stances indicate that he is only that way on taxes, abortion, and foreign policy. He is horrendous when it comes to campaign finance reform and illegal immigration.Obama has not led the way on any major legislation or had a significant voting record. His youth in the Senate has allowed for him to hide his initial feelings on the Iraq war (wasn't in office when it began). He also has a habit not being present on critical votes. I believe Bill Clinton put it best when he asked the delegates at the DNC "what happened the last time a young president was elected that lacked experience?". Can you say Bosnia, Somalia, Monica, etc.... At this point, I look for character. McCain has it and we are unsure with Obama. Unfortunately, the system today is broken because those willing to commit fully to their personal values are viewed to be far left or far right. Instead, they should be respected for their beliefs and respected to make the right decisions for his/her citizens. Our election is based more on fear and less on promise.

meggers 6 years, 3 months ago

Politicians misspeak on the stump all of the time- Biden's was a stupid mistake, but given that he acknowledges several people at any given event, it was probably something he was used to saying and he just wasn't thinking about Gramm's circumstances. Regretful, but certainly nowhere close to the 'potatoe' incident involving Quayle. Personally, I find McCain's growing list of factually incorrect and bizarre statements involving foreign policy to be downright alarming. The latest is that when interviewing with a Spanish news organization, he kept talking about Latin America no matter how much the interviewer tried to steer him back to questions regarding Spain, he seemed not to know who the president of Spain actually is, and the kicker is that he implied that his administration would have an adversarial relationship with Spain, although he left the door open to "reuniting" with that country. WTF????

1029 6 years, 3 months ago

"That brings me to Obama's judgment. How are we to put faith in Obama's ability to select the right people to work for him in his government"Well, your other choice is McCain, who's campaign is being run by lobbyists and who picked Palin to be his VP. She became governor of Alaska in a 5-way race in which only 51% of registered voters went out to vote. Before that, she struggled through several colleges to finally get a bachelor's in communications/journalism from the prestigious University of Idaho and who entered politics because she had no direction in life and was elected mayor after getting only 909 votes when less than 33% of registered voters cast a vote.Guess maybe you should wait until next election to be a first-time voter, Paul.

TopJayhawk 6 years, 3 months ago

The fundementallay strong economy comment was actually right. Unemployment, while up is still not bad. Interest rates are still low.the economy is still growing at a quite acceptable 2.5%. All are indicators of a "fundementally strong economy."Maybe it is time for the socialist from Illinois to retake economics 101. This is just another idiotic statement from the Obomanator.

truman 6 years, 3 months ago

FYI for earlier post _ VP Dan Q. did not attend an Ivy League college. He graduated from DePauw University and then went to law school at the University of Indiana.

aeroscout17 6 years, 3 months ago

Give it a break; anyone can make a mistake when under pressure, in the spotlight, and probably not sleeping much. Anyone remember Bush gaffe of asking a legally blind correspondent to take off his sunglasses? Can't we stick to the real topics instead of this B.S.?