LJWorld.com weblogs Vantage Point

Obama or McCain to the rescue?

The moment to cast my first vote is at hand and I'm very excited. My one vote probably would not make a difference in the grand scheme of things, but the journey I took to cast the vote has been a most memorable one. From the time I left my country to pursue an education in the United States to the moment I took an oath and become a citizen of this great country, it has been nothing short of amazing. I don't think many people plan for landmark moments in their lives, and when something of significance happens, it has an enduring effect.I left my country as a bright-eyed, clueless and adventurous teen with hopes of getting an education and returning to my country and family. Boy, what a seductress the United States can be. In a matter of years, I unknowingly fell in love with the freedom, the opportunities, the wealth, the people and, most importantly, the rights accorded to the citizens of this country. I had every intent of going back home after college but once I had tasted the goodness of life here, it was hard for me to settle for less.My entire family was back in Malaysia, and as hard as it was to be away from them, the allure of making my own choices and experiencing life here was more rewarding. The first few years of my stay here were riddled with challenges as well as acts of random kindness from strangers and friends. If not for that, I don't know if I could have coped with the prevailing feeling of homesickness. As the years went on and my life became more structured and stable, I began to put down roots here. I no longer was just a visiting student but a contributing member of the society. I paid my taxes, spent my hard-earned money and invested in the future of my life and family. Sadly, not all of my experiences have been pleasant. I have had brushes with racism and discrimination, albeit not prevalent.One of the main reasons I decided to become a citizen was because of the protection my family and I would get being a citizen of this country. If my family and I ever are stuck in another country and war broke out or if our lives were in jeopardy, I know the United States will come and rescue us. I'm sure they would use whatever force necessary to get my family and me out of harm's way. But if I was not a citizen and my family was, I might be left behind as they wouldn't have jurisdiction to extradite me. That thought scared me.That brings me to the elections. In the current global climate of war and rumors of war, whom do I trust to keep my family and me safe? All of my siblings and relatives, including my parents live in Malaysia. There is a chance that during my travels to that part of the world that tensions could rise and a war breaks out. Will Obama be the one who I put my trust in to make sure he sends a chopper to pick up my family and I or will McCain, who himself has been a POW. My decision on whom to vote for cannot be made based on their political party or how much taxes they will cut. What good is cutting taxes if we are not here to pay them?

Comments

teacher101 5 years, 5 months ago

Only OBAMA/BIDEN will save this county and help the gay movement. The rich need to pay the tax. VOTE OBAMA/BIDEN 2008.

Newell_Post 5 years, 6 months ago

Left_Handed:McCain retired from the navy with the rank of captain. He was therefore not a flag officer. His father and grandfather were flag officers.

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 5 years, 6 months ago

Of the two, only one candidate clearly is a leader.I need not identify him; I'm sure this quality is evident.

beatrice 5 years, 6 months ago

Paul, welcome fellow American!Since you took the time to write a blog, I hope you will consider my response. Early in the election process there were many individuals who were claiming "Anybody but Hillary," since so many assumed she would be the head of the Democrats ticket. Then Obama wins among the Dems and so much of what you get from the same crowd is "NObama." Seriously, how many times have you heard people speaking passionately about why they are FOR McCain? It doesn't happen. Instead, you get fear about how Obama will make the sky fall. The current batch of Republicans are a party voting for the party and against Obama, not a party voting for someone whom they believe is the best person to head our nation. At least that is how I see it. Please consider this when casting your vote.

kms 5 years, 6 months ago

Merrill So I guess the article from the Washinton Post is the reason you are voting for Obama. I will quote Obama " I will not run for national office in 2008. I would not be qualified. I am all about experiance" I guess the Post ignored Obama's own words, oh wait, Obama ignored his own words. He must have really gotten a lot of experiance in his 3 yrs as a Senator.

kms 5 years, 6 months ago

1029If you are the "critical thinker" like you say you are, then why don't you do some research and dispute what I stated? Oh wait, could it be your the one who is NOT well informed, just follows mindlessly what the media tells them. Investigate and DISPROVE point by point what I said and then you will come to be a "critical thinker". Be careful, if you look past the surface you might find out the things I stated are true and then what, will you change your mind? No, you will defend your position. I find most people don't want the truth, they want what they think is the truth. It is out there for you to find.

Richard Heckler 5 years, 6 months ago

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/10/16/AR2008101603436_pf.htmlBarack Obama for PresidentWashington Post | Friday, Oct. 17, 2008The nominating process this year produced two unusually talented and qualified presidential candidates. There are few public figures we have respected more over the years than Sen. John McCain. Yet it is without ambivalence that we endorse Sen. Barack Obama for president.The choice is made easy in part by Mr. McCain's disappointing campaign, above all his irresponsible selection of a running mate who is not ready to be president. It is made easy in larger part, though, because of our admiration for Mr. Obama and the impressive qualities he has shown during this long race. Yes, we have reservations and concerns, almost inevitably, given Mr. Obama's relatively brief experience in national politics. But we also have enormous hopes.Mr. Obama is a man of supple intelligence, with a nuanced grasp of complex issues and evident skill at conciliation and consensus-building. At home, we believe, he would respond to the economic crisis with a healthy respect for markets tempered by justified dismay over rising inequality and an understanding of the need for focused regulation. Abroad, the best evidence suggests that he would seek to maintain U.S. leadership and engagement, continue the fight against terrorists, and wage vigorous diplomacy on behalf of U.S. values and interests. Mr. Obama has the potential to become a great president. Given the enormous problems he would confront from his first day in office, and the damage wrought over the past eight years, we would settle for very good.

1029 5 years, 6 months ago

Left_handed and kms both inadvertantly make some really good points. Only a clueless idiot would vote for McCain/Palin at this point. The McCain/Palin supporters are pathetically and desperately grasping for any twisted reasoning to back their misguided viewpoints. How sad. This country seriously needs to work on putting more of a premium on education so that its citizens can grow up to be critical thinkers and well-informed voters, not soundbite-swallowing simpletons.

spiderman 5 years, 6 months ago

IF only McCain had been the candidate in 2000 !

kms 5 years, 6 months ago

Lets see Obama, 860 mil in earmarks in 3 years, McCain Zero Obama receives third most pac money from Freddie-Fannie in only 3 years of office Obama voted twice for the bridge to nowhere, yet he rips Palin for this Michelle goes from 120k salary as a "outreach" specialist for a non profit hospital to 360k salary 1 week after Obama elected to Senate Obama meets Michelle as a summer intern at the Senior Ayers Law firm Obama has received millions in unnamed overseas donations- this is illegal Obama donated 832k of your Obama campaign donations to ACORN for "Lighting" Obama stands for change-he picks an old Washington insider as VP-McCain picks a Washington outsider for VP Obama's 2007 tax return 4mil income- alot of income for someone who is a senator, he and his wife worked for non-profits all their life until elected to the Senate-interestingso I guess you should vote for who you think will defend your freedom, protect your rights-and is carefull who they assoicate with-has served his country with honor and whose wife is proud to be an American all her life, not just recently.

Left_handed 5 years, 6 months ago

Obama will raise taxes, McCain won't.Obama wants to nationalize health care, which will mean the end of decent medical care in this country.Biden is an idiot. Sarah Palin is a governor and actually pretty smart, despite what the left leaning journalists in this country want you to think.If either one of them dies in office the country will continue, just as it always has.Obama will cut and run in Iraq, McCain will continue the drawdown as circumstances warrant.Obama is a lawyer who's never practiced law. McCain was a flag officer in the US Navy.Obama has plenty of shady buddies who will make sure he never loses his home.The choice IS clear, don't vote for Obama unless you want to make the US a third world nation.NObama2008, Keep the Change.

LiberalDude 5 years, 6 months ago

It's an easy decision Paul. Vote Obama.

Larry_The_Moocher 5 years, 6 months ago

Did you forget to take you medicne today Christie?

christie 5 years, 6 months ago

Hmmm let's review.Obama will cut my taxes.McCain will raise them in the form of a tax on my Health Benefits.If Obama wins my health care will remain intact.If McCain wins I will lose my health insurance.Obama has a real VP.McCain has an idiot.If Obama dies in office we will be safe.If McCain dies in office the U.S. will be taken over by China.If Obama wins we will wind down the war in Iraq.If McCain wins we will expand it.Obama is a highly educated (top of his class at Harvard) individual.McCain finished 894 out of 899.If Obama loses his home due to bad economy he's homeless.If McCain loses his home he has 6 more to go to.The choice is clear. 2008 - The End of an Error. OBAMA / BIDEN 2008