Town Talk

City building totals down a bit from year ago; outgoing commissioner gets appointed to powerful city board

Chad Lawhorn

I figure it is a natural time to talk about building in Lawrence, given an army of men are still putting together the “some assembly required” Christmas presents, all the while refusing to look at the directions and muttering the famous phrase “they must have sent a half-dozen extra bolts ...

Longtime 23rd Street restaurant to close to make room for new wireless phone store

Chad Lawhorn

The Taco John’s chain has a special each Tuesday where it sells cheap tacos. And for years, the restaurant’s slogan was “a whole lot of Mexican going on.” Yet, workers there still seem surprised when I bring a wheelbarrow to pick up my taco order. Regardless, there soon will be ...

A sign the flu is about to descend upon city; something called an EBUS coming to town; 23rd Street retailer set to close

Chad Lawhorn

Santa may make a list and check it twice, but some of us forgot to set an iPhone reminder for Christmas shopping. So, let’s do a quick news and notes version of Town Talk today. • You have a built-in excuse to not hug Great Aunt Bertha at this year’s ...

Downtown has new beauty bar and med spa that will give you a 'blowout' and 'semi-permanent makeup'

Chad Lawhorn

As a general rule, I don’t use a blow dryer on my hair. With male pattern baldness in my family tree, even windy days worry me. But one new Lawrence business is betting that a good shampoo and a blow-dry are counted by many people as one of life’s little ...

New report looks at how much visitors spend in Lawrence, Douglas County; CVB leader weighs in on conference center idea

Chad Lawhorn

Visitors spend about $680,000 in Lawrence and Douglas County every day. As we all prepare for holiday visitors, here is a note to all the great aunts of the world: Some of that spending can be on gifts and not just lime green Jell-O. The $680,000 per day figure is ...

Chain retailer on south Iowa Street closing down quickly, creating another vacancy near Lawrence Target store

Chad Lawhorn

The story for Topeka-based Payless ShoeSource seems to be there is not enough Pay and whole lot more Less these days. That’s apparently the case in Lawrence, as the company’s one local store on south Iowa Street is closing quickly. Employees at the Lawrence store at 3231 Iowa Street were ...

City lands in bidding dispute; commissioners order homeowners to cut down some trees; and other notes from City Hall

Chad Lawhorn

It has been awhile since I’ve done a news and notes version of Town Talk. Let’s take a look at some city issues that are small enough they’ve flown under the radar this month. • When I was a kid, my dad had me convinced that if I used a ...

Plans filed for student apartment complex with more than 700 bedrooms near south Iowa Street

Chad Lawhorn

Get ready for the next boom in student apartment construction in Lawrence. We reported last month that plans have been filed at City Hall for an approximately 500-bedroom student apartment complex near Clinton Parkway and Crestline Drive. Now, plans for a more than 700-bedroom student apartment complex have been filed ...

As city debates incentives for grocery store project, a look at how big a tax break several projects will get from City Hall in 2018

Chad Lawhorn

I’m the first to admit that I don’t know many details about the grocery store business. I spend 90 percent of my time playing with the self-serve machine that makes fresh peanut butter and the other 10 percent buying wipes. I hardly ever see the rest of the store. But ...

Retailer, repair shop of more than 30 years closing down business along 23rd Street

Chad Lawhorn

Lawnmowers for your yard. Snowblowers for your driveway. Chainsaws for your golf game. For more than 30 years, Lawrence’s Kaw Valley Industrial has been selling those common items at its store along 23rd Street. No more. Kaw Valley Industrial has closed its business at 1105 E. 23rd Street, and owners ...

Upload photo Browse photos

loading...