LJWorld.com weblogs Town Talk

3 Spoons Yogurt closes Lawrence store

Maybe the folks at 3 Spoons Yogurt know something we don’t — that winter is never really going to end.

Whatever the case, the frozen yogurt business at 732 Massachusetts Street has closed its doors, and an employee there confirmed to me that the company has no plans to reopen elsewhere in Lawrence.

I didn’t get any official word on why the company decided to close. I suppose you could assume that it was just a decision based on the amount of sales the company was doing in Lawrence, although the store had nearly 3,000 likes on its Facebook page. (And that’s all you need to get rich in America anymore, isn’t it?) I will say that on my many patrols of downtown, it seemed to me the store had a good following, especially with the sorority crowd. (I’ll tell you what I tell my wife when she asks me why I know so much about where sorority members hang out: It is my job to be observant.)

3 Spoons, which has been in Lawrence for a little more than two years, is part of a franchise that was started in College Station, Texas in 2009, according to the company's Web site. In case you are curious, the nearest store to Lawrence now appears to be Waco, Texas. (It might melt before you get back.)

What isn’t the case, it appears, is that some other business came and took the space away from Three Spoons. Bob Sarna — an executive with First Management, the company that serves as the landlord for the downtown building — confirmed to me he doesn’t yet have another business lined up for the space.

The frozen yogurt business downtown certainly got more competitive in recent months with the opening of TCBY at Ninth and Massachusetts in the former Penny Annies location. Both operated with the same philosophy of serve yourself and then take your yogurt up to be weighed. (Dangerous business trying to gauge the weight of food. Lawrence Memorial Hospital once had a spaghetti bar that operated like that. One of the more important lessons I’ve learned in life: Spaghetti is heavy, although it was the best $22 hospital lunch I’ve ever had.)

TCBY, though, also has the added advantage of being a Mrs. Fields Cookie retailer as well. (Because of the observant nature of my job, I have observed they do give free samples of that product.)

I’ll keep an ear out for word of what may be heading into the 3 Spoons location. As for people who have a gift certificate to the 3 Spoons location in Lawrence, the company is asking you to e-mail lawrence@spoonsyogurt.comto find out the details for a refund.

Comments

Danielle Brunin 1 year, 9 months ago

We went to Three Spoons one time, and their frozen yogurt tasted like aspartame. We apprehensively tried Orange Leaf and were pleasantly surprised. Still, Three Spoons seemed like it did well.

Steve Jacob 1 year, 9 months ago

If you have to weight the yogurt, it's going to be pricey, so I guess go where the money is at, which Orange Leaf did.

msezdsit 1 year, 9 months ago

Spoons was going like wildfire opening all kinds of stores all over the place and all of the sudden they are not opening anymore stores. It was a tired idea when they opened here but they packed the place for a while.

Then, they close the store here. When it opened I didn't think it would last long and unfortunately I was right. Maybe they made enough money to cut and run..

FM was the contractor and landlord for these guys. Hmmm. wonder who gets the fixtures or if FM will open another restaurant downtown with the ruins.

Eileen Jones 1 year, 9 months ago

Great article Chad.

Has anyone notice Chad Lawhorn coming into his own, both as an investigative reporter and as a writer with humor, heart and style?

Lee Saylor 1 year, 9 months ago

Chad as been there, both as an investigative reporter and a humor writer for quite some time. What are you, new?

jack22 1 year, 9 months ago

I thought business was booming downtown because of all the tax free apartments being built. What happened? Don't people who live in apartments like yogurt or are the rents First Management charges so high that even out of town corporations can't afford it anymore? Who is First Management going to rent to after they've driven off all the local small businesses and even out of town corporations start to realize the Lawrence real estate game is rigged and the rents are unaffordable?

appleaday 1 year, 9 months ago

I once bought $60 of "designer-color" M&Ms at the FAO Schwartz in Chicago. I kept scooping them into a bag (mixing the colors) and then realized how much it cost!

smileydog 1 year, 9 months ago

They rent to any business downtown, so why is it surprising it has such a large turnover? Lawrence has warm to hot weather 5 months out of the year. When it is cold out, who eats ice cream? Lawrence doesn't like expensive places to eat either. Notice all the expensive restaurants that have come and gone in town?

Since our local government has its hands in everything, why don't they require every business get prescreened by a citizen advisory committee? Imagine the pony tails and wired gray hairs passing judgement. The feeling of power would be tremendous, and it's right up Corliss' alley.

rockchalker52 1 year, 9 months ago

Maybe they should've had more than three spoons...

lawrencechick 1 year, 9 months ago

I always find Orange Leaf very clean. The one time I went to Three Spoons it was very dirty and that was a big turnoff. Management is huge, especially when you tend to have young workers.

bearded_gnome 1 year, 9 months ago

Okay folks, here's the inside scoop why 3 Spoons closed:

that space will open as a smokey bar, "Chad's Place" with Chad Lawhorn dressed like Humphrey Bogart behind the bar and owner. sometimes there'll be gambling, but don't be shocked.
and, there'll be at least one sexy woman walk into Chad's Place and say to him " you know how to whistle, ... don't you?"

sometimes, then he'll just lean over, put down the cigar, and type for this column.

LadyJ 1 year, 8 months ago

I remember when Dillons on Mass had a yogurt bar, my kids loved it. Maybe they should bring it back.