LJWorld.com weblogs Town Talk

Lawrence-based Dobski & Associates to tear down, rebuild De Soto McDonald's

This is fair warning to all you K-10 commuters who may stop at the McDonald’s in De Soto to get your morning caffeine fix: By Thursday morning, the restaurant will be rubble. (Perhaps like you without caffeine.)

Lawrence-based Dobski & Associates, the owner of the area McDonald’s franchise, has confirmed it will tear down the De Soto store on Thursday morning and begin building a larger McDonald’s that is expected to open in late September.

The new store will have seating for 89 people, up from 40 in the current restaurant. Other design features:

• Free Wi-Fi Internet service and a host of electrical outlets designed for customers to recharge their laptops.

• A side-by-side double drive-thru window system to increase drive-thru capacity.

• A special third window designed to serve customers who have to wait for a special order. (Perhaps caffeine-laced french fries. They can’t do that, can they?)

Michael Dobski, owner/operator of the De Soto location and son of Dobski & Associate founders Tom and Marilyn Dobski, said the De Soto restaurant was 22 years old and the decision was made that the restaurant needed an expansion and update.

The store has about 30 employees, and Dobski spokesman Patrick Manning said those employees will be transferred to other Dobski-owned McDonald's restaurants during the construction period.

The new restaurant will be on the same site as the current McDonald’s, which is along Kansas Highway 10, just east of the primary De Soto interchange.

Comments

irvan moore 1 year, 4 months ago

wondered for years when that would be upgraded, sounds like it will be nice

ksarmychick 1 year, 4 months ago

They should build it with an indoor playland. Having to drive all the way to the 6th and waka location from Eudora sucks.

ksarmychick 1 year, 4 months ago

I know what a park and a backyard is. But you must not realize that most of the time in Kansas it is either too hot or too cold to bring the kids to the park for extended periods of time. When it gets too hot out you can get seriously burned by playground equipment. Aside from the local swimming pool, which is only open from 1-7pm 2 months out of the year, there is nothing for little kids to do in Eudora. So sorry I thought that it might be nice to have somewhere closer to take the kids to burn off energy without having to drive 20 miles away.

Larrytown 1 year, 4 months ago

I don't believe the summer heat has stopped KS kids from playing (i.e. soccer, baseball, swimming, Summer camps, etc.) outside. It certainly didn't stop me.

As for McDonalds....in a perfect world...it would be a good thing if people stopped hitting the fast-food chain restaurants...and instead ate some real food. I'll get off my soapbox now...

ksarmychick 1 year, 4 months ago

When you find a sports team that allows my 1 year old to join let me know- And one that isn't a parent-tot class since I have other children that need to be watched at the same time.

Larrytown 1 year, 4 months ago

Although you won't find sports teams for a 1-year old....there are many, many activities to keep a 1-year old busy. For starters..a simple ball, stick, etc. will do. Again, we're talking about a 1-year old. If you are running out of options in keeping a 1-year old entertained...well....not sure what to say.

ksarmychick 1 year, 4 months ago

You must not be a stay at home parent with several small children of different ages that you are responsible for entertaining all day every day. I don't have a problem with keeping my kids busy. It would be nice to have a place close by that I can take my kids to socialize and exercise with other children that is indoors and isn't overly expensive. If wanting to get out of the house WITH my children and interact with other humans over the age of 5 makes me a bad parent to you, that's too bad.

Larrytown 1 year, 4 months ago

Have you went back and looked at your comments in this thread? Seriously...look at all the restrictions that you've place on entertaining your 1-year old.

Too far to drive, Summers too hot, Winters too cold, playground equipment burning, have to babysit my other kids, can't be a parent-tot class, needs to be inside, needs to be inexpensive, your other kids need to be able to socialize with other kids.

Did I miss anything?

Thinking_Out_Loud 1 year, 4 months ago

LarryTown, ArmyChick, KRichards, None2: I want all of you to go to your rooms NOW! And don't come back out until I say so!

Bike 1 year, 4 months ago

I think the heat is stopping the Mom!

arch007bak 1 year, 4 months ago

Really people? Take one of Chad's simple, harmless stories and it turns into a discussion about other's child-rearing decisions?

Bob Forer 1 year, 4 months ago

A new building that size costs hundreds of thousands of dollars. They are making a lot of money to be able to simply tear down a building that is only 22 years old for larger facilities.

Clickker 1 year, 4 months ago

Thats great! I'm glad they are profitable and can put it into a larger Mcdees to employ even more people!

Larrytown 1 year, 4 months ago

Not sure if employing more people at McDonalds is reason for excitement. Actually, the opposite feeling crossed my mind.

Dan Blomgren 1 year, 4 months ago

I would have to guess that anyone of the new employees may disagree with you!

Dan Blomgren 1 year, 4 months ago

So what's your point? That making money is wrong? It's the American way! Good for them for making a huge capital investment in their business which the whole community will benefit from. And they are doing it in such a way as to protect the wages of their current employees. After you have owned and run your own business you can start judging those that do, but until then shut the F up!

Larrytown 1 year, 4 months ago

Again, I'm not too excited about low-paying jobs that are tailored for high school kids. With that being said...nothing wrong with job openings for the kiddos.

What do you mean the whole community will benefit from it? Sure...it's a construction project. But what about long-term? Are you going to convince me that eating at McDonald's improves the quality of life of the community? Thoughts on heart disease and obesity?

Finally...I'm pro-business, pro-construction, pro-jobs. Building an addition to McDonald's has not...nor will not...get me excited.

Quality over quantity

kansasredlegs 1 year, 4 months ago

Bigger facility means higher valuation which equates to more taxes being paid by the owners for as long as the property retains value. Notice how no discussion of Mr. Dobski requesting taxpayer welfare to create new jobs in Desoto. Mr. Dobski is a class act and loyal to those who help him succeed. Went to school with one of those underpaid polyester-wearing, low-paid students we all snickered at, that guy now owns 3 McDonalds at last count.

Larrytown 1 year, 4 months ago

Just for clarification...not snickering at these low-paying jobs whatsoever. I was in that boat...delivered newspapers, mowed yards, worked in the maintenance department at my county hospital, worked in water department for my town, and worked in landscaping. Lots and lots of manual labor jobs for me in my junior high thru early college year days.

clarkentsman 1 year, 4 months ago

Its my understanding that they have owned the vacant land immediately to the east or the restaurant from day one. Talk about planning ahead 20 years.

Tgill 1 year, 4 months ago

I was on the planning commission in Desoto when that store was built. It was to small the very first day it was open......They refused to make it bigger........

Dan Blomgren 1 year, 4 months ago

And how long ago was that? The present restaurant has served the community well for as long as I can remember. The population has grown and now it's time not only to increase its size but also to add all the new features like wi-fi and such. And the Dobski's are paying for it out of their own pocket while employing construction workers that need the work too so who cares. All of you complainers should just say 'thank you' to the Dobski's and move on!

he_who_knows_all 1 year, 4 months ago

I love "disposable" architecture!