LJWorld.com weblogs Town Talk

Group wants city's help to make hitchhiking a reliable form of public transit

If you see me standing alongside a Lawrence street holding a whiteboard that reads "Anyplace warm," you'll soon understand I'm not crazy. Instead, I'm just taking part in a new pilot project aimed at transforming hitchhiking into a reliable form of public transportation.

City commissioners this week are being asked to help. Commissioners at their Tuesday evening meeting will consider changing an existing ordinance that technically makes it illegal for people to stand along a street for the purpose of soliciting a ride.

The group behind the project is a relatively new nonprofit organization called Lawrence OnBoard. Based on an information packet its director, Jennifer O'Brien, has provided to city officials, here's a look at how the program is designed to work:

— The basic concept is that hitchhiking will become a more reliable form of ridesharing. But instead of simply sticking your thumb out and hoping for the best, members of Lawrence OnBoard will be equipped with a folding white board with a logo. The rider will write his or her destination on the white board, and then pick a safe place to stand alongside a city street.

— Riders will be asked to register with Lawrence OnBoard before they begin using the system. They'll be issued a photo I.D., and a background check will be run on each member. As for the drivers, people also can register to be a driver, but any motorist can choose to pick up some one holding a whiteboard. For security purposes, Lawrence OnBoard suggests that riders send a text message to the Lawrence OnBoard office when they get into a vehicle. The text message could include the membership number of the driver — if the driver is a member of Lawrence OnBoard— or the license plate of the vehicle.

There are other details about the program that you can read here, but I've pretty much given you the gist of it. Supporters of the program point out that the city's public transit system is a bit limited in area and doesn't run on Sundays. Plus, the T doesn't really aid people who have to make a trip outside the city limits. Certainly, there are ways people can arrange to carpool to Topeka or Kansas City, for example, but the OnBoard officials point out that such arrangements often really limit people's flexibility.

"With a system like Lawrence OnBoard, the carpooling is done from the side of the road at the convenience of the rider, and the time, effort and expense for the driver is minimal," according to the Lawrence OnBoard brochure.

Organizers of Lawrence OnBoard have been doing some testing of the concept over the last few months. They report they've attempted 121 rides and have been unsuccessful only six times. The 23 riders that took part in the experiment travelled a total of 573 miles. The average time they spent waiting alongside the road was about seven minutes per ride.

O'Brien and a KU professor, Anne Dunning, have been invited to present a scholarly paper on the program at the annual meeting of the 2014 Transportation Research Board.

I have no idea how Lawrence city commissioners will react to this idea, which seems like the sort of thing that could add to Lawrence's progressive/funky (or you can choose the appropriate adjective) reputation. We'll find out Tuesday.

In the meantime, I've got bigger issues to figure out. Is it spelled "Acapulco" or "Acapolco"? And if I wore a swimsuit, do you think that would increase or decrease the amount of time I would have to wait for a ride?

In other news and notes from around town:

• Commissioners also will be discussing more traditional public transportation at Tuesday's meeting. As part of their consent agenda, commissioners are scheduled to approve a new five-year contract with MV Transportation to continue running the city's public transit system. The new contract will run through 2018.

Based on a city memo describing the contract, it appears the rate MV will charge the city per revenue hour will average out at about $35.80 during the term of the contract, which is up about 8 percent from what the average revenue per hour rate was during the last contract term. The city is expecting to pay MV between $3.4 million and $3.6 million per year during the term of the new contract.

The payments to MV represent only a portion of what it costs the city to run the transit system. Based on the city memo, transit officials are expecting it will cost between $5.8 million and $6.0 million per year to run the transit system over the next five years. In addition to the operating contract, the city also must pay for fuel, major repairs to buses, the purchase of new buses, and various other operational expenses.

The city funds the system with about $3 million a year in local sales taxes and about $2.8 million a year in federal and state grants. Fares paid by riders add about $330,000 per year.

• The Rock Chalk Park sports complex in northwest Lawrence has been in the news again lately. City commissioners in the next couple of weeks will have to figure out how to resolve concerns a neighbor of the property has about lighting. But this week, commissioners will continue spending money to outfit the city's 181,000-square-foot recreation center at the site. If you remember, the city is agreeing to pay about $22.5 million to a group led by Lawrence businessman Thomas Fritzel to build the project. The $22.5 million includes the construction of the actual recreation center, and through an unusual agreement, the city also is paying for essentially all the parking, roads and other such infrastructure that serves both the recreation center and the various sports stadiums and field that will be used by KU and Fritzel.

The $22.5 million, as anticipated, doesn't include all the items needed to equip the center. At their Tuesday meeting, commissioners are set to accept a $74,215 bid from Overfield Corp. to install security cameras in the building and parking lots. The city also will accept a series of bids totaling $44,300 to install a phone system. Last week, the city approved about a $45,000 bid to install bleachers in the building.

More LJWorld City Coverage

• Town Talk blog
  • Local news
  • Sign up for the Town Talk newsletter
  • Follow @clawhorn_ljw on Twitter
  • Comments

Matthew Herbert 8 months, 1 week ago

perhaps they can use the white board to hop a ride to Lawrence's new homeless shelter, in its new location that is completely inaccessible to the population it aims to serve.

Leslie Swearingen 8 months, 1 week ago

The number five bus has a stop right there.

Matthew Herbert 8 months, 1 week ago

Perfectly logical to expect homeless people to pay a bus fare to get to the shelter. Perfect solution.

John Graham 8 months, 1 week ago

Maybe they could use the money they are given from the special parking meters to pay for bus rides.

Richard Ballard 8 months, 1 week ago

Perhaps they can use the white board to flag down the police & ambulance?

When they respond to all the rear end crashes caused by people slamming on the brakes in traffic to pick up or let off the hitchhikers?

Following a T-Bus on 6th. or 23rd. street during rush hour is bad enough!! And you already know they are going to stop unexpectedly at every opportunity.

rc

Leslie Swearingen 8 months, 1 week ago

The bus only stops at desinated bus stops, those round blue signs that have bus stop written on them. Not unexpected the bus would do that.

Fred Whitehead Jr. 8 months, 1 week ago

Is this for real?? This is a joke, isn't it? Registering "hitchhikers"?? Only in little ole Lawrence.

Greg DiVilbiss 8 months, 1 week ago

I hitchhiked up until my early 30's. I started in junior high, after graduating from high school, I hitched for about three months, even hitchhiking up the AlCan Highway up to Fairbanks. I continued after I returned, locally. I always found it an interesting way to travel.

I did have trouble on three occasions over 15 years of hitchhiking, where someone tried to take advantage or were some kind of freak. A glue sniffer, sexual nut and someone who wanted money. All three let me out of the car when I asked. I met many interesting people and got to see places and hear stories in a way that most people will never get to.

I have continued to give rides on occasion, particularly after listening to music downtown and a person was not in condition to drive.

I stopped hitchhiking when my perception of danger increased. It seems that Lawrence OnBoard has some answers for the safety question. It will be interesting to see if it takes off. It will require an open mind.

Hitchhiking in 1978 in California.... That is me hanging off of the sign.

Hitchhiking in 1978 in California.... That is me hanging off of the sign. by GregDiVilbiss

Bob Smith 8 months, 1 week ago

If you see Rutger Hauer, run away as fast as your little legs will carry you.

Jennifer O'Brien 8 months, 1 week ago

I'd like to correct an inaccuracy in the story. Anne Dunning is not a Lawrence OnBoard organizer, but rather an Associate Professor at KU in the department of Urban Planning. Mr. Ballard expressed concerns about traffic accidents caused by drivers stopping suddenly to pick up riders. This is one main concern for Lawrence OnBoard as well, and we are taking steps to address this.

Richard Heckler 8 months, 1 week ago

Hitchhiking is nothing new. It can be fun and economical. My wife and I did some on our honeymoon with our bicycles.... and a sign suggesting our destination Great way to find friendly people. Although we did decline a few rides. But all worked out well.

I did some long before getting married. Mostly on a whim. Loaded up a backpack,headed out and stuck out my thumb...... with a sign in hand.

Thumbing around town was generally very easy. Still declined a few rides from time tom time.

Thumbing long distance with a train ride on the side = relaxation and meeting more people.

Mike Edson 8 months, 1 week ago

I've got a bad feeling about this.

Richard Heckler 8 months, 1 week ago

I like the idea of keeping electronically in touch. Don't be afraid to turn down a ride - be smart.

John Graham 8 months, 1 week ago

The city has a bus service that they can't get enough riders on, so this group believes the city will change the law to make hitchhiking legal thus potentially decreasing bus ridership. I am not one to think the current commissioners are the sharpest knives in the drawer based on some of their decisions, but I can't believe they would go for this idea.

Also I hope this group that will be checking backgrounds and giving IDs has a lot of insurance. By giving IDs and doing background checks it would seem that they are in some sense vouching for these people. I can see some bright lawyer suing them if one of the background checked people assaults a driver. What about the registered drivers? If they have a bad driving record does this cause liability issues? What happens if a registered driver gets in an accident and the hitchhiker is injured? What if the driver is impaired? Since they are registered doesn't that give an attorney an opening to sue the company? If the city endorses this group does it put the city at risk?