LJWorld.com weblogs Town Talk

Missouri Tiger bar plans to celebrate anniversary of Quantrill's Raid

Honestly, I'm not interested in giving this event any more attention than it deserves, but sometimes in this job you have to write things for the historical record. So, let the record show there certainly were some dumb Missouri fans in 2013.

Perhaps you have heard that the owners of the Black & Gold Tavern in Kansas City, Mo., are planning an event tomorrow to celebrate the 150th anniversary of Quantrill's Raid on Lawrence.

There is a bunch of blabber on the bar's Facebook page, but I'll just give you a sampling. The bar calls the raid not only daring but "Missouri's most decisive road victory."

It talks about how the raiders "sought vengeance for murders and other terrorist acts" such as the raid on Osceola and the burning of Missouri farms. And then it ties it all up in a knot that could only be understood by someone who took a logic class at the University of Missouri: "Just as KU chooses to honor the memories of murderers and thieves through the naming of its athletic teams, we will celebrate the sesquicentennial of Quantrill's Raid."

Does that mean they'll chant: "We're better murderers than you are?" Who knows?

And really, how much vengeance did the Missourians get by killing about 185 men and boys? Jim Lane led the despicable raid on Osceola, yet Quantrill and his men couldn't figure out how to find him in a Lawrence cornfield. I guess even back then the Tigers were scared of a Cornhusker.

But before I go on, I should take my own advice and remember there's really no reason to give this event more attention than it deserves. This is basically a bar trying to sell some extra drinks. I'm not sure it will work. The Facebook messages attached to this announcement were almost universally negative when I checked this morning.

The bar may have whiffed on this idea. But it is worth noting that one of the bar's owners, Zach Cartwright, is a former University of Missouri lineman. He's certainly whiffed before.

Comments

Lora Gilliland Schneider 11 months, 2 weeks ago

Phoghorn 11 months, 2 weeks ago

but was pretty much right on the money

Phoghorn 11 months, 2 weeks ago

I guess that if you are a proud Missouri Slaver, it makes sense to condemn a raid that was designed to free slaves, but cheer a raid that was designed to kill innocent civilians.

fiddleback 11 months, 2 weeks ago

Not that freeing those slaves in any way justifies Jim Lane's summary execution of 9 men, but yes, the difference in motives couldn't be more stark. Somebody should try to research where those 100+ Osceola slaves ended up. I assume plenty then joined the 1st Kansas Colored Infantry, which Lane organized the following year.

This bar's stunt is even dumber when you consider that the tiger mascot is actually also pro-Union in origin, named after Columbia's "home guard" militia that defended the town from desperate foraging bushwhackers. Yet these geniuses would rather celebrate a mass murderer in service of a defunct athletic rivalry than demonstrate either an iota of class or the faintest knowledge of their own mascot's history.

This presents an opportunity for MU to ask this bar to cease this behavior or else change its name and cease invoking the tiger -- it's an utter disgrace when the symbol of a place of higher learning is co-opted to celebrate violence, especially mass murder of innocent civilians. If this bar held a "Hooray for TIm McVeigh!" drink special, I have a feeling MU could muster a response. The scale of both massacres is the same; the only major difference is that our town was butchered 150 years ago instead of 18...

Lora Gilliland Schneider 11 months, 2 weeks ago

I'm not sure why my comment was removed. The entire reason the bar is holding this event is for PR and advertising. It is NOT a white table cloth establishment and not really a place I would take a family. I've seen worse comments. Why was my original comment removed? The worst word used was the word "Divy."

Matthew Herbert 11 months, 2 weeks ago

When MIZZOU left for the SEC, they effectively joined their racist brothers in the Confederacy Conference. Quick - name ONE school/state in the SEC that didn't fight for the Confederacy in the Civil War.

tolawdjk 11 months, 2 weeks ago

Bad unit of measure.

Maryland was union but had confederate units.

Georgia, Alabama, Virginia, and both Carolinas all had Union units.

People fought for a variety of reasons, none of which will put this bar and thier idiotic promotion into a good light.

Jeremiah Jefferson 11 months, 2 weeks ago

Why does it matter. Its pretty pathetic that you would categorize almost 1/3rd of the country as racist based on where they live.

MarcoPogo 11 months, 2 weeks ago

Been to Florida lately? Just sayin'...

Liberty275 11 months, 2 weeks ago

That is as meaningful as asking an Australian if he has been to Oklahoma lately.

Beth Ennis 11 months, 2 weeks ago

John Brown was a murderer also, but I don't see Kansas celebrating him (other than his picture in the capital building; which I'm hoping is just a historical reference), but I've never seen any actual parties, celebrations or anything claiming how great he was. Very sad story, but very clever Chad. I like your take on this! (-:

mom_of_three 11 months, 2 weeks ago

various people do celebrate john brown anniversaries. But to compare John Brown, an abolitionist, to a Confederate who wanted to preserve an awful institution is just wrong. Brown was named one of the top 10 influential Kansans (even though he was only here for about 2 years in total)

boltzmann 11 months, 2 weeks ago

and Free State John Brown Ale is yummy.

jack22 11 months, 2 weeks ago

Come on give 'em some slack, the tiger bar needs to find something they can celebrate, it's not like they're going to be celebrating any major victories in sports this year

John Pearson 11 months, 2 weeks ago

Perhaps the LPD can use its new armored truck to take out the bar?

yourworstnightmare 11 months, 2 weeks ago

Tough being on the losing (and unethical and immoral) side of history as these Missourians and other southerners are.

Yes, there were atrocities on both sides, but the confederacy fought to own other human beings as slaves.

Enough said.