LJWorld.com weblogs Town Talk

Chipotle files plans to build restaurant on 23rd Street

If you are like me and you need a burrito break every once in a while as you navigate the traffic on 23rd Street, you’ll soon have a new option.

The folks from Chipotle Mexican Grill have filed plans to tear down an existing retail building on 23rd Street and build a new restaurant.

The company has filed a site plan to redevelop the old multi-tenant retail building at 1420 W 23rd Street. In case you can’t picture that building (you might have salsa on your glasses; it happens to me a lot while driving on 23rd Street), the building is an older wooden structure that sits back off the street a bit, and has housed an insurance agency, tobacco store, wireless phone company and other various tenants recently. It is right next door to . . . wait, wait . . . Taco Bell.

Can you say, “Let’s get ready to rumble!.” (But can you say it really cool like that one guy? And if so, are people in your office looking oddly at you right now?)

According to the site plan on file at City Hall, the development will replace the approximately 6,000-square-foot, multi-tenant building with a 2,200-square-foot, standalone Chipotle restaurant. The restaurant, it appears, also will have a sizable outdoor seating area.

No word yet on a timeline for the project, or any plans for existing tenants in the building. But I’ve got a message into a representative with the development and will let you know if I hear anything interesting.

Comments

msezdsit 1 year, 4 months ago

Guess I should try a chipotle sometime. The fact that McDonalds is behind it has always sent me right on by. However they have cured some of the downfalls that plague McD's

lilm 1 year, 4 months ago

While McDonald's was once an investor in Chipotle, they divested in 2006 and no longer have anything to do with Chipotle.

jack22 1 year, 4 months ago

Chipotle is tightly controlled by a few former McDonalds executives. Try opening a franchise, you can't because the McDonalds guys don't sell them and don't allow anyone else in on the action. They've probably left McDonalds because they're making so much money with the new enterprise. It's a great concept and probably one of the better quick to go Mexican restaurants, but three in a town of our size sounds like overkill to me.

msezdsit 1 year, 4 months ago

Great news! I will have to remember to try the one downtown anyway.

Dusty 1 year, 4 months ago

I thought Chipotle was (potentially?) going into that building in the corner of the Iowa Street Wal-Mart with AT&T? What's going on for that space now?

itsalwayssunnyinlarry 1 year, 4 months ago

I think a Panda Express. A few weeks ago they talked about it on LJW.

jhawkfan05 1 year, 4 months ago

I thought that Chipotle Mexican Grill was going to share the building with AT&T at 33rd and Iowa???

1 year, 4 months ago

Your memories are correct. There was a lot of speculation about Chipotle going into the new building at 33rd and Iowa. But as we reported, Panda Express got the deal. Here's what we had on that: http://www2.ljworld.com/weblogs/town_talk/2013/feb/7/panda-express-files-plans-to-go-into-new/ Thanks, Chad

Bob Forer 1 year, 4 months ago

I have never been to Chipotle. How does it rate as compared with authentic Mexican food. How does it rate to a place like Taco Bell?

Drew Deck 1 year, 4 months ago

It's about the healthiest fast food you can get. Quality is stellar. Isn't authentic but has a unique take on healthy, fast, and delicious burritos, tacos etc...

jafs 1 year, 4 months ago

Chipotle is better than Taco Bell and the like, and offers good value for money.

It's not authentic Mexican food, of course.

They now offer brown rice as an option, which is nice for us healthy folks.

Freebirds offers more choices, and whole wheat tortillas, which is also nice. And, both places are high in sodium, if that matters to you.

Jeremiah Jefferson 1 year, 4 months ago

I just gained 15 pounds by reading that article... This is awesome!!!!!!!

MarcoPogo 1 year, 4 months ago

You could have at least told Traveler12 that it will be in the basement of the Alamo.

Tammy Copp-Barta 1 year, 4 months ago

And a little ways from Border Bandito!! I'm tired of Mexican & Chinese restaurants and Bar & Grills!!! Let's get some affordable steakhouses and seafood for God's sake!!!!

Richard Heckler 1 year, 4 months ago

Free State does a good steak I hear.......

Richard Heckler 1 year, 4 months ago

Hey bring back Low Riders I say.....

No new gains will take place as some existing food place or two will hit the road due to not enough business.... but I say Chipotle will make it.

WaxAndWane 1 year, 4 months ago

Try this Chipotle nutrition calculator. I'll bet you didn't realize that your favorite "healthy" burrito has 1,400 calories. http://www.chipotlefan.com/?id=nutrition_calculator