LJWorld.com weblogs Town Talk

Chipotle files plans to build restaurant on 23rd Street

If you are like me and you need a burrito break every once in a while as you navigate the traffic on 23rd Street, you’ll soon have a new option.

The folks from Chipotle Mexican Grill have filed plans to tear down an existing retail building on 23rd Street and build a new restaurant.

The company has filed a site plan to redevelop the old multi-tenant retail building at 1420 W 23rd Street. In case you can’t picture that building (you might have salsa on your glasses; it happens to me a lot while driving on 23rd Street), the building is an older wooden structure that sits back off the street a bit, and has housed an insurance agency, tobacco store, wireless phone company and other various tenants recently. It is right next door to . . . wait, wait . . . Taco Bell.

Can you say, “Let’s get ready to rumble!.” (But can you say it really cool like that one guy? And if so, are people in your office looking oddly at you right now?)

According to the site plan on file at City Hall, the development will replace the approximately 6,000-square-foot, multi-tenant building with a 2,200-square-foot, standalone Chipotle restaurant. The restaurant, it appears, also will have a sizable outdoor seating area.

No word yet on a timeline for the project, or any plans for existing tenants in the building. But I’ve got a message into a representative with the development and will let you know if I hear anything interesting.

Comments

WaxAndWane 1 year ago

Try this Chipotle nutrition calculator. I'll bet you didn't realize that your favorite "healthy" burrito has 1,400 calories. http://www.chipotlefan.com/?id=nutrition_calculator

ImRonBurgandy 1 year ago

Did they scrap the idea of Chipotle next to the new At&t building in the Walmart Parking lot?

Richard Heckler 1 year ago

Hey bring back Low Riders I say.....

No new gains will take place as some existing food place or two will hit the road due to not enough business.... but I say Chipotle will make it.

Tammy Copp-Barta 1 year ago

And a little ways from Border Bandito!! I'm tired of Mexican & Chinese restaurants and Bar & Grills!!! Let's get some affordable steakhouses and seafood for God's sake!!!!

oneeye_wilbur 1 year ago

I'd rather have Margaret's Cafe back. She died just recently. Too bad the JW didn't do an in depth story about her while she was alive. So much for local history!

traveler12 1 year ago

I'm a frequent customer of Tobacco Mart, which is located in this building. I wonder where they're moving to, or if they're going out of business?

oneeye_wilbur 1 year ago

So let's see how fast McCullough and Ms Stogsdill streamline this? If it is streamlined, construction shoud begin within 30 days, if the client is ready. If the client is ready and the city stalls the project for more than thirty days, then the reorganization is a JOKE!

catfishturkeyhunter 1 year ago

I just gained 15 pounds by reading that article... This is awesome!!!!!!!

Bob Forer 1 year ago

I have never been to Chipotle. How does it rate as compared with authentic Mexican food. How does it rate to a place like Taco Bell?

Karl_Hungus 1 year ago

Time to open a store selling Chipotlaway to clean your underwear after eating there (PS, might be bloody as well)

Keith Richards 1 year ago

Chipotle is awesome. For those who think 3 of them is overkill, you probably don't frequent the two we already have. Every single visit there is a line of at least 10 people at both locations.

jhawkfan05 1 year ago

I thought that Chipotle Mexican Grill was going to share the building with AT&T at 33rd and Iowa???

Dusty 1 year ago

I thought Chipotle was (potentially?) going into that building in the corner of the Iowa Street Wal-Mart with AT&T? What's going on for that space now?

g_rock 1 year ago

I think I'm psychic. I had a dream about a burrito bowl last night...

msezdsit 1 year ago

Guess I should try a chipotle sometime. The fact that McDonalds is behind it has always sent me right on by. However they have cured some of the downfalls that plague McD's