LJWorld.com weblogs Town Talk

Lawrence Farmers' Market competing for national ranking

Another Lawrence institution is working to make the latest Top 20 poll, and this one doesn’t have anything to do with KU athletics.

The Downtown Lawrence Farmers' Market is battling to be named one of the 20 best farmers' markets in the country by the American Farmland Trust.

The nonprofit organization is running an online poll asking people to vote for their favorite farmers' market. Thus far, Lawrence is on the outside looking in.

As of Thursday morning, the Lawrence market had 73 votes, which left it 18 votes behind 20th ranked Santa Barbara Certified Farmers Market in Santa Barbara, Calif. Lawrence’s market is a full 1,024 votes behind the No. 1 ranked Davis Farmers Market in Davis, Calif.

People can vote online at www.farmland.org/vote.

Several other Kansas markets also are part of the competition. Thus far, the farmers' market in Emporia is ranked No. 16 in the medium-market category. Lawrence is competing in the large-market category because it has more than 55 vendors on a regular basis.

Voting will last for about another week, according to a press release from the group.

Comments

ilovelucy 5 years, 4 months ago

I'm really not knocking our Farmer's Market because I am a regular customer and love the variety. However, to be in the large city category is ridiculous. You don't know what a good market is until you visit KC's, Denver's or Colorado Springs.

Jonathan Kealing 5 years, 4 months ago

lucy-- Des Moines has one of the best farmer's markets around as well. A great, great mix of fresh food and freshly prepared food that makes it worth getting up early on a Saturday morning.

Jonathan Kealing Online editor

Ken Lassman 5 years, 4 months ago

What I like best about the Lawrence Farmer's Market is that it is for local/regional producers only. That gives it a real down-home feel, with amazing variety, and, best of all, great people you get to know personally. When the average grocery-bought food has travelled an average of 1500 miles, it's a refreshing change to get the local stuff, which can be bought truly ripe/ready to prepare instead of having to sit on the shelf 3 days to ripen to edibility. Even better are some of those heirloom varieties where they were developed for flavor, not ship-ability!

Jonathan Kealing 5 years, 4 months ago

Machiavelli--

It's on Court Avenue and several streets around it. It runs from 7 a.m. to noon:

Jonathan Kealing 5 years, 4 months ago

Multi- You're right. No donation is needed to vote for the Lawrence Farmer's Market!

Jonathan Kealing

bearded_gnome 5 years, 4 months ago

our farmers market is just plain wonderful!

dunno what 'mania has stuck in her head.

our farmers market: friendly people, great selection. just fun to go to.

please don't stone me: I shopped at the Davis farmers market when it was very young. local kiwi, peppers, corn, some other vegies. all was good. was on a sidewalk, along the side of a downtown park, usually not very many people selling.

so, sorry, I helped support the Davis market.

but how is that a large city farmers market???

I'll be voting for Lawrence, thanks.

bearded_gnome 5 years, 4 months ago

from the donation page that follows voting: Every minute, two acres of farmland are paved over for development. In ten minutes, that could be the amount of acreage needed to support one of the vendors at your farmers market for the whole season. That could be your entire farmers market—gone in under an hour!

---isn't this rather hyperbolic? seems extreme, at least if you're considering american farmland.

Eileen Jones 5 years, 4 months ago

I love the Farmer's Market but it is not one of the top 20. Not by a long shot.

Steve Miller 5 years, 1 month ago

this is old news, need to get it off of the site.

frank regnier 4 years, 9 months ago

I have been to the Farmer's Market in KC and many of the produce I seen are from Mexico. I thought it was supposed to be from local growers? I try to buy organic and use the vendors at the farmers market but sometimes, I wonder if their produce is really homegrown.