LJWorld.com weblogs Shop Talk with Jenn and Julie

New Policies at Dillons for Coupon Shoppers

I have often said that it is a good idea to know the coupon policies of the stores you shop at. I even suggest that you point them out and carry them with you in your shopping supplies.

Often the employees aren't aware of the actual store policy. If you are an avid coupon user putting together a complex deal, sometimes the store employees don't know that you can, for example, match store coupons with manufacturer's coupons on the same item.

It is also good to pay attention to when stores change their policies. Recently Dillons changed their coupon policy to restrict the number of like coupons you can use in one transaction. Previously you could buy 10 of the same item and use 10 coupons for those items. Under the new policy you may still buy as many of the item as you would like but you may only use 5 coupons on those particular items.

If you are unclear about a store's coupon policy, you should talk to a manager or call their corporate headquarters. You can find the contact information on most store websites or at the in store customer service counter.

Whatever you do, remember that the employees at the store are just that, employees. They are doing their jobs and they deserve your respect. You are not entitled to your coupon use and being mean, threatening or demanding will not get you your way and it gives all coupon users a bad reputation.

Be courteous and informed and remember that ultimately, the store can decide how they want to accept your coupons.

Comments

Katara 2 years, 7 months ago

I ran into that change last week. I don't mind it overall but I was informed of the policy change mid-transaction. Dillons does not post a copy of their coupon policy nor do they send out any email to advise of any changes if you have your email registered (they can send me tons of their local ads and promos though!) so I thought it a bit unfair for them to tell me while I was checking out and expect me to be able to suddenly juggle my grocery list all around.

I sent an email to corporate and just told them since they have my email address and many other coupon users on file, if they decide to change their coupon policies, it certainly would be in their power to provide some notice.

I play by the rules but it doesn't help if you aren't told that the rules changed.

agrabass 2 years, 7 months ago

...Or be the bomb like Checker's, and post your coupon policy on your website, as well as a tab with that title. It's there big as life right below weekly specials. No hoops to jump thru, no corporate mazes... Thank you Checkers, I love you long time!

Chrissy Neibarger 2 years, 7 months ago

I stopped using checkers when they changed their coupon policy to not taking coupons over $1. If I'm buying something that costs me 10 bucks and they won't take the coupon for $1.25 off, I'm going to take my business else where. Now I go to dillions where they will take that $1.25off coupon. I don't use coupons as much as I should, but I want the availablity to use it when I find a good one.

Katara 2 years, 7 months ago

Nope, they don't post it on their website but here is the email I received from them.

Dear Valued Customer:

Thank you for contacting Dillons regarding our Coupon Policy. Our coupon policy varies by division. The policy for stores in your area is as follows. Please note that this policy is our most current; however it is subject to change without notice.

Store management has the right to accept, decline, or limit the use of ANY coupon(s). Store management has the right to limit the quantity of coupons and/or items purchased in a single transaction, by a single customer, or in a single day

• In some instances, coupon may be limited to no more than five (5) paper manufacturer coupons for the same product, each coupon value considered (1) coupon in the same transaction
  • In order for us to provide products to all customers, please see store management (in advance) should you wish to muse multiple coupons

• Limit one manufacturer coupon (paper or digital) per item purchased

• It is our practice to discourage the use of expired coupons
  • Only Pharmacy competitor coupons will be accepted
  • Couponed items will not be sold to vendors

Internet Coupon Restrictions/PAH Coupons: "Free item" internet coupons can be accept if all purchase criteria is met Only one internet coupon per item will be accepted * In some instances, internet coupons may be limited to two coupons per customer in a single day. In order to us to provide products to all customers, please see store management (in advance) should you wish to use multiple coupons

Internet coupons that display characteristics below will not be accepted: Blurry Out of proportion Do not scan properly Appear to be altered in anyway

Doubling: Nebraska stores -Baker's- DO NOT double Manufacturer's coupons $.50 and below will automatically be doubled * Double does not apply to the following: o Free items, Kroger, Catalina, Retail Food Store coupons, Electronic coupons or items prohibited by law.

The value of the coupon should never exceed the price of the product. We do not give cash back on coupons If you have any further questions on the coupon policy, speak to the Customer Service desk at the store, or contact the Customer Service Center at 1-800-362-2183, and they'd be happy to assist.

JackMcKee 2 years, 7 months ago

If you whole life is built upon coupons you need to get a new one. Stat.

Katara 2 years, 7 months ago

This from a guy who is still complaining online about a rock...

JackMcKee 2 years, 7 months ago

au contraire, I'm for equal rocks for all neighborhoods. I like rocks. They symbolize good taste and progressive thinking. More big rocks!

MarcoPogo 2 years, 7 months ago

"but many people have lives and their time is valuable"

...(s)he posts on the LJW board under an article about coupons.

JackMcKee 2 years, 7 months ago

the absolute worst is the couponer that is one of 15 people on earth that still writes checks. The look the cashiers give those things, it's like the person is trying to pay with rocks.