LJWorld.com weblogs Shop Talk with Jenn and Julie

Get Krafty with Target Coupons

There are several items that we buy on a regular basis that I have a price ceiling on. I almost never pay more than $1/box for cereal, I never pay for toothpaste, toothbrushes or nutrition bars. You get the idea. I've decided cheese needs a limit as well. When I see a sale on cheese I gather up as much as I have freezer space because it is normally so expensive. Cheese freezes very well and when I can buy it for less than $1 instead of it's normal $2-4 you better bet I'll be stocking up!

If you missed the one day sale at HyVee last week where they had HyVee brand cheese 12/$12 have no fear....the Kraft deal at Target is here!

In addition to the Kraft coupons that you will find in today's coupon inserts, you can get your hands on many Target printables for the same Kraft products making a nice discount. Here are some of the deals:

Kraft Shredded Cheese

Buy 2 @ $2.04/each = $4.08

Use 1 $1/2 manufacturer's coupon from the Sunday papers

Use 2 $0.75/1 Kraft Shredded Cheese Target printable

Final Price = $1.58/2 or $0.79/each

Kraft String Cheese - $3.99

Use 1 $1/1 Manufacturer's Coupon from the Sunday papers

Use 1 $1/1 Target printable

Final Price = $1.99

Kraft 100 Calorie Cheese Snack Packs - $2.19

Use $0.75/1 Manufacturer's Coupon

Use $0.75/1 Target Printable

Final Price = $0.69

I'm not sure of the exact price on Kraft Salad Dressing but there is a B2G1 Free Target printable. Work the deal like this:

Buy 4 Salad Dressings

Use 2 $1/2 manufacturer's coupons

Use 1 B2G1 Target Printable coupon

Your final price is greatly discounted because not only do you get the Free item, you get the extra discount allotted for that item with the manufacturer's coupons.

Kraft Mayo or Miracle Whip also has stackable coupons totaling a $1.25 discount per item:

$0.75/1 Manufacturer's coupon

$0.50/1 Target Printable Coupon

This is a great example of using coupons to their fullest advantage. Stacking store and manufacturer coupons can get you an even better deal than you originally thought possible!

Comments

SuperJenn 4 years, 5 months ago

For one reason or another the Target link is hit or miss this morning. If you click on it and get a blank screen, refreshing should solve your problem!

Katara 4 years, 5 months ago

Thanks for the info. I am going to be stocking up on string cheese. It is a popular snack at my house.

GardenMomma 4 years, 5 months ago

You can freeze cheese? How long does it last? And does it work for bags of shredded cheese or just blocks of cheese? Doesn't it get all mushy when it thaws? I assume you thaw it in the refrigerator?

GardenMomma 4 years, 5 months ago

So sorry for the double post. I'm not sure how that happened. I only hit post once. Too bad they can't add a delete feature for your own posts.

GardenMomma 4 years, 5 months ago

Katara 4 years, 5 months ago

Cheese freezes really well. You can keep in the freezer 4-6 months, although I've done up to 8 months & it was fine. I just stick the bag of shredded cheese in as is but if you'd rather you could probably put it in a freezer bag. A vacuum sealer would probably make it keep longer plus it would be more compact & save space in your freezer.

Cheese should be thawed in the fridge. I've never had it get mushy.

Katara 4 years, 5 months ago

If you are interested in a vacuum sealer, the food saver website is having a great deal on a starter kit. Today is the last day of the sale. Normally it is $119.98 but it is $39.99 now. The starter kit comes with a sealer, 2 sets of bags & some vacuum containers.

The discount is automatically applied when you click to checkout. I got one because the one I have is starting to wear out after 7 years of heavy use.

SuperJenn 4 years, 5 months ago

I freeze cheese all the time...shredded and block seem to work best. I usually don't even thaw out the shredded cheese before I throw it on pizza or lasagna .... I probably should...but....

GardenMomma 4 years, 5 months ago

I'd love to make my own cheese! Got any recipies you care to share?

Danielle Brunin 4 years, 5 months ago

Here's a good site to get started. It's the one that Barbara Kingsolver references in Animal, Vegetable, Miracle. http://www.cheesemaking.com/ I've never made my own, but I really, really want to. :)

roosmom 4 years, 5 months ago

I agree making your own cheese is not difficult or expensive, but the reality is many, many mothers will not do this. My family buys local, grows our own veggies and eggs and eats at local places that also buy local. With that said the reality is we do not do this 100 percent of the time. Many, many others do not either! The cost cutting tips here are very good for those on a limited budget that will NOT do as you and I. I think we can lead by example and I have found it is best to talk to others in a kinder way. You can catch more flies with honey!!!

Katara 4 years, 5 months ago

I think a lot of the problem is the assumption that your way is better. Your post automatically assumes that how you do things is superior. You assume that others have the means to do what you do. Not everyone has land or access to land to grow produce. Not everyone has space for livestock or chickens. Local also does not mean less expensive, and for those that are of limited means, that removes yet another option for them if they wish to live as you believe they should.

You may catch more flies with honey but sweet words do not take away the bitter taste of patronization.

Frankly, the whole local & organic food "movement" is becoming much like a religion. You can see it in the posts. The Whirl castigates what they believe to be "sinners" and roosmom takes more of a pastoral approach of ministering to what they believe should be the flock.

Katara 4 years, 5 months ago

What perfectly cromulent statements you make, TheWhirl.

You can also assume whatever you like about others' lifestyles. It certainly does not add to your message and simply turns off others who may, at one point, been interested in hearing what you had to say.

Linda Aikins 4 years, 5 months ago

I totally agree with Katara, Whirl. I was excited at first to see that people still made cheese and because we love cheese, I was very interested to see what you had to say. But alas, it turned into a manifesto about how you feel about others' lifestyles. And even worse, you lumped everyone but you together into one thoughtless and pretentious bunch of people. I was sorry to see that turn because as I said, I was interested. Now I will most likely skip your comments because they are unfair attacks and I really don't care for those.

thank you gals for the help with budgeting and saving money. I really appreciate your time and research!

Katara 4 years, 5 months ago

Gosh, that a such a huge cross you have to bear, TheWhirl.

It is great to you that you know what is best for us and how to fix it. It is nice to know that you are so concerned for our salvation.

Katara 4 years, 5 months ago

Oh goodness. I hadn't realized that you are just here for the Lulz. Someone must have been really bored today.

"TheWhirl (anonymous) replies… Yawn. I'll watch you from my hot tub as you toil. The effort to production ration must yield at least 10 cents per hour. LOL December 18, 2010 at 12:10 p.m"

"TheWhirl (anonymous) replies… I'd expect a wittier comeback from one of Lawrence's super elite liberals. I guess you were expecting praise because you can grow a plant and probably feel superior because you aren't eating factory foods. December 18, 2010 at 6:10 p.m." http://www2.ljworld.com/onthestreet/2010/dec/18/do-you-maintain-garden/#c1458466

madman 4 years, 5 months ago

Wow!! Lots of assumptions! I use coupons and I am a mom. But, just so we are clear, I don't have a Tahoe (or a car even close to the cost or a suv), I get my hair cut at Z's for $7 every couple of months, the last time I had a manicure was because someone gave me a gc for my birthday months ago, I have a pair of drug store sunglasses in my purse that were given to me for Christmas. I have been to a soccer field so I guess you got me there.

I certainly appreciate this information because as a young family working of a budget, it does help to stretch my dollar. In particular "household" items that can really shrink my weekly amount so that I can buy more local items/healthy items for my family.

Thanks Jenn!

HRCJJ 4 years, 5 months ago

So much anger about cheese, are you guys lactose intolerant? I mean, it's cheese.

Katara 4 years, 5 months ago

The Truth will be revealed to you once you accept Cheesus into your heart.

Linda Aikins 4 years, 5 months ago