LJWorld.com weblogs Shop Talk with Jenn and Julie

I'm getting that springtime feeling with a little help from Target.

If you’ve gotten your Sunday Journal-World, you’ve seen the P&G insert and have found all the great coupons.

But instead of talking coupons, I'm loving the Target ad this week. Just when you think you can’t take another week of dreary, snowy weather, the Target ad comes along with bright spring colors to perk up your current furnishings.

With my son’s hockey season ending and baseball season just around the corner, this is my sign that spring is almost here. So to help me get through until then, I like to add some fresh color.

Those yellows and greens are a great way to add that punch of color to get you through the rest of winter. And the prices won’t break the bank.

So if you’re interested in brightening up your home, try a few of these accents:

Solid-color quilt and sham set - $29 (any size)

Table lamp - $14

Bath towels - $3.50

Storage ottoman - $16

Side table - $12

Picture frames - $4

Window panels - $17 (set of 2)

Throw pillows - $10

Duvet set or comforter - $19.99 (any size)

So, you see, pulling yourself out of the winter blahs could be as easy as adding a colorful accent. I know I’m going to be heading to Target to check these items out.

Comments

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 4 years, 1 month ago

I've wondered why these "articles" aren't posted as paid advertisements.

Katara 4 years, 1 month ago

Probably because they are not.

Of course, if your curiosity is sincere, you could always just call LJW and ask why they aren't. You are more likely to get an answer that way.

But that may actually require some effort on your part or at least more than whining about a blog on a forum.

gl0ck0wn3r 4 years, 1 month ago

You won't see me agree with bozo often, but of course these are paid ads. It isn't a direct payment or a kickback, but it is advertorial. The guys who sell ads to businesses take these sorts of clippings on their sales calls to show what good guys the local paper is and to encourage them to return the favor by buying ad space. That is why you will never, ever see real restaurant or business reviews in papers this size because any sort of honest jeopardizes revenue.

Katara 4 years, 1 month ago

Jenn & Julie are not being paid to review businesses or restaurants. They are paid (I think they are paid) by LJW to write about shopping and saving money. They are not told to go to a specific place and then talk about it. It is a bit hard to sell ad space when Julie talks about one of her grandmother's recipes or retail therapy.

There also have been honest reviews of deals out on the internet or by local stores. Hy-Vee changed its coupon policy & Jenn wrote about that and it was not a positive thing in her opinion.

It still boils down to this... if you believe these to be paid advertisements and you don't like it, don't click on the blog. Don't post on the blog. Don't do anything that will increase the views of the blog so it does not appear on LJW Most Popular.

Call up the LJW and tell them you don't like the Shop Talk blog. Cancel your paper subscription if the business practices and policies of the LJW bothers you so much.

But to come on and accuse Jenn & Julie of being corporate shills because Julie happened to like what was in this week's Target ad and wanted to engage in some retail therapy? How productive is that?

gl0ck0wn3r 4 years, 1 month ago

I'm also a little confused by why you take this whole thing so personally. Either you really love coupon advertorial or you are related. If you are related, could you ask them why they dislike gay and disabled people?

Katara 4 years, 1 month ago

It gets a little hearing the same ol' same ol' tired arguments.

This is a blog. No one has to read it. Yet the same people come on here to complain fairly frequently. If you don't like it, then don't click on it.

If it bothers you so much, then call the LJW to complain about it. You don't have much impact trolling a coupon blog if you really want it gone.

And it isn't an either or scenario. I don't have to love what you called coupon advertorial or be related to be irritated that the same old tired trolls come in to preach.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 4 years, 1 month ago

I really couldn't care less how the JW chooses to label it's "articles" or its "ads." I merely asked what I thought was an obvious question. I fail to see how that constitutes "whining."

BTW, whether you call this a "blog" or not, these are still advertisements.

ivalueamerica 4 years ago

well, if you feel so strongly about it, quite reading the column and quit your bellyaching.

I consider this a frugal shopping blog and I appreciate it very much. It has often found me sales on items I need that I had missed, saving me a lot of money.

Kookamooka 4 years, 1 month ago

Where do kids in Lawrence play Hockey? How far do you have to drive? And for a community like Lawrence...why the heck don't we have a rink?

julieanderson 4 years, 1 month ago

I agree with you -- Lawrence needs a rink! My son plays for a travel team out of Kansas City. It is definitely a big time commitment. At this time, there are 2 travel hockey organizations in the Kansas City area that also have house teams. I believe Topeka still has a youth house league.

Keith 4 years, 1 month ago

We don't have any money. If you want a rink, raise the money.

mae 4 years, 1 month ago

People that brag about target need to stop. It's just a store, not something plastered all over Ljworld.

Don't advertise, They do that.

julieanderson 4 years, 1 month ago

We are not employed by Target nor do we get any "kickbacks" from Target.

Katara 4 years, 1 month ago

Seriously?

I guess since you are reading this online paper for free rather than paying for it, you are also, in a sense, being paid by the advertisers indirectly. You are getting a product free thanks to the advertisers.

It is just a blog and it is no different from any of the other blogs that are posted on this site. They are opinions. Julie likes what Target has to offer this week and wrote about it. She has also posted about what she likes about Checkers, Dillons & Hy-Vee. She has posted recipes and about her family.

Because it. is. just. a. blog.

Katara 4 years, 1 month ago

You are getting a free product. Product giveaways are just as much payment as a check. Even more so if you do not purchase the paper and use this as your means of getting local new from the same company.

By posting here, regardless of your opinion, you are being paid by the advertisers indirectly because you are accepting and using a free product which in turn accept monies from advertisers.

Katara 4 years, 1 month ago

Nope, just pointing out that by using your logic, that makes you just as much of a corporate shill and just as guilty of receiving "kickbacks".

Katara 4 years, 1 month ago

Why is it so difficult for people not to click on blogs that don't interest them?

If you don't like Julie's blog, you are not forced to read it. Pretty simple.

troll 4 years, 1 month ago

I think one of the problems is that the list of "latest" on the front page does not show any distinction between blog articles and news articles. The link to this blog post was right next to the article "27-year-old woman arrested Sunday morning for trying to drive over man in parking lot" and "Flash flood warning expires for Douglas County; Thunderstorm watch in effect until 9 p.m.". Would be nice if they would label it "blog" in the title of the article, although they might know that less people would click on the article if they did that.

Having said that, I have saved a some $$ myself from the deals mentioned in these articles, so I don't have that big of a gripe with them.

Katara 4 years, 1 month ago

I agree. LJW should label what is blog and what is not. It is done on the other tabs but for some reason it is not on the most recent.

Most of them you can tell by the title but I have clicked on a headline thinking it was one thing but turned out to be something different. I simply use that button with the arrow that points < and move on to something else. I don't see the point in reading something that I know I am not interested in and then posting how I don't like it.

Katara 4 years, 1 month ago

Well, I take that back about "blog" appearing on most popular. It used to but apparently not anymore. They label everything else though. Odd.

Mari Aubuchon 4 years, 1 month ago

I'm with Katara.

I have no idea why this particular blog evokes such fits of self-righteous anger but I, for one, am sick of it.

Read what you want to read, shop where you want to shop. and let the rest of us do the same.

Mari Aubuchon 4 years, 1 month ago

That isn't really possible if the first comment is preachy .

There is a big difference between not reading a blog and avoiding nasty comments if you want to share deals, recipes, etc...

As I said, I just don't understand the point of all the negativity.

impska 4 years, 1 month ago

If Jenn and Julie advertise for anything, it's the Sunday paper. Nearly everything they talk about refers to an insert in the Sunday paper. The Lawrence Journal World's Sunday paper. You know, the same LJWorld that employs them to write blogs and would very much like you to buy the Sunday paper.

sr80 4 years, 1 month ago

Oh how i love women,I 'am truly amazed by you.I thought i would see some of that fire, when i made fun of the big todo over the diaper deal a few weeks ago, it is not lacking today !!!! Thanks !!

Kelly Johnson 4 years, 1 month ago

The title of this blog is "Shop Talk." It's a blog about shopping. It would be rather pointless if the authors merely stated, "I used a coupon at a store and got a good deal." I don't really think there'd be much demand for a blog like that.

It would also be pointless if they talked about coupons obtained from a non-local source, or shopping at non-local stores. I dunno, maybe I'm crazy, but I actually do shop at Target. And Dillons. And Hy-vee. And Walmart. So I kinda like hearing about good deals at these places.

sinkorswim 4 years, 1 month ago

I love Target! They are my "go to" store. If they don't have something I'm shopping for (which does happen from time to time, but not too often), then I'll venture other places, but they're always my first stop. Love to grab a Starbucks while I browse/shop. :-)

Katara 4 years, 1 month ago

And how much more easier it would be if LJW would offer an ignore button. (Hint. Hint, Whitney).

sr80 4 years, 1 month ago

We are from Kansas and anything i repeat anything we can stick our long noses in we will,doesn't matter what it is,we will find something wrong!!!!

Scott Drummond 4 years, 1 month ago

Read through three pages of this staff blog. Heavy on promotion of big box store, same low quality junk you find in every strip mall "development" polluting the nation - Kohls, Walgreens and heavy, heavy every few weeks for Target. The people stupid enough to read the inane comments found in this particular blog on a regular basis deserve the poor quality, poor service and needless congestion they purchase at these places.

Katara 4 years, 1 month ago

You know what is strange. A couple of months ago both Julie & Jenn asked for input about local deals & retailers that gave great service and had quality products.

The result?

Not a peep out of any of those complaining that these blogs promote big box stores, products from China or other cheap crap.

You also don't find those people blogging about local retailers and the great deals they give. Nope. They are more content to drag everyone else down than do something that actually helps support their supposedly deeply held beliefs.

The only one that has complained about these blogs and has added productive comment and has given good information about local stores is thadrosen. That guy deserves respect because apparently he is the only one who puts his money where his mouth.

Scott Drummond 4 years, 1 month ago

Probably because many don't follow the doings of a coupon clipping blog until it ranks in popularity here. Some of the top "local" merchants cited, by the way: Kohl's Starbucks and Best Buy.

I'd be more impressed with the blog if it were not such a transparent shill for LJW advertisers.

Katara 4 years ago

Oh, I see. In other words you have the attention span of a gnat and the only time you notice something is when it is getting a lot of attention from others.

And still no mention of awesome local retailers where you got a great deal or great service. Those same local retailers that advertise on LJW, by the way.

Way to support your local merchants. No wonder they can't compete as well. The ones who throw a hissy fit about big box retailers, coupons or any other thing that isn't exactly in their very narrow worldview can't be bothered to speak up or put a good word in for them.

PennyBrite 4 years, 1 month ago

You should have loved Target last week when you could stock your freezer for nearly FREE. Buy any 7 frozen items and get a $5 gift card. 7 bags of veggies at .87 each less the $1 coupon they had on their website, less the $5 gift card.........bags of veggies for almost FREE! Seriously, pennies a bag. Same for some other frozen foods and juices as well.......Target deals come and go but some of them are amazing! I know people who stocked their huge freezers with all sorts of foods and juices for about $20.

Alceste 4 years, 1 month ago

Let us all go out and by some cheap crud from Target and we'll all feel so warm and fuzzy afterwards. Really.