LJWorld.com weblogs Shop Talk with Jenn and Julie

Tyson chicken breasts on sale at Dillons prompt me to pull out some favorite recipes.

In this week’s Dillons ad, I noticed that the Tyson boneless, skinless chicken breasts are on sale for $1.99 per pound. Not a bad deal.

My family likes chicken, but sometimes we get tired of eating it grilled, baked, broiled, etc. So, when I see it on sale, I don’t always stock up on it. This week, however, I decided to go through my recipes and see if I could dig up a dish or two that I’ve tried before and that the family enjoyed. I don’t know about you, but sometimes I’ll try a recipe, everyone likes it, but I file the recipe away and then forget about it.

This week, I’ve decided to take advantage of the sale on the Tyson chicken breasts and bring out a few tested and well received recipes. I thought I’d share them with you, and hope that some of you will share your recipes too.

I got this first recipe about 20 years ago from a co-worker when I worked for Eureka Vacuums in Chicago.

Chicken Wild Rice Casserole

2 cups cooked chicken – cubed

1 cup chopped celery

½ chopped onion

3 tbl. Worcestshire

1 pkg. Uncle Ben’s long grain and wild rice (made according to pkg. directions)

1 can Cream of Mushroom soup

½ can milk

1 small can sliced water chestnuts

Parmesan cheese

Mix all ingredients except Parmesan and place in a greased casserole dish. Sprinkle with Parmesan. Bake for 45 minutes in a preheated 350 degree oven.

This next recipe was given to me by my dear friend, Diane.

Chicken Enchiladas

8 tortillas

1 cup chopped onion

2 tbl. Butter

2 lbs. cooked shredded chicken

2 (4 oz.) cans green chilis

3 tbl. butter

¼ cup flour

1 tsp. coriander

¾ tsp. salt

2 ½ cups chicken broth

1 cup sour cream

Monterey Jack cheese – grated (1/2 cup will be used for sauce)

Cheddar Cheese – grated

1 (4 oz.) can sliced black olives

chili powder

Preheat oven to 350. Saute onions in 2 tbl. butter. Combine chicken and green chilis. Set aside. Melt 3 tbl. butter in sauce pan, blend in flour, coriander, salt, and chicken broth. Cook until thick and bubbly. Stir in sour cream and ½ cup Monterey Jack cheese. Take 1/2 cup of sauce and stir into chicken mixture. Dip each tortilla into remaining sauce, place ¼ cup chicken mixture down center of tortilla, sprinkle Monterey Jack and Cheddar cheeses on top of chicken and sprinkle with chili powder. Roll up tortilla and place in baking dish. When finished, pour remaining sauce over the top of enchiladas. Sprinkle with more of both cheeses, olives and chili powder. Bake for 30 minutes.

Comments

Scott Morgan 3 years, 1 month ago

I was hinting those dreaded process born ickies were around before Tyson plucked number one chicken.

Katara 3 years, 1 month ago

The chicken enchilada recipe sounds very tasty & I have a bag of leftover roast chicken in the freezer that needs to be used. I know what I am cooking next weekend :)

Scott Morgan 3 years, 1 month ago

Is there any better comfort meal than baked chicken?

I think there is a great misunderstanding regarding processing food nowadays. Our younger generation is very picky.

An old butcher trick back in the day was filling the bird with ice to make it weigh more, dump the ice after the scale, and I bet many birds sat around more than a healthy time. Thanks for the chicken tip.

Gonna try the enchilada recipe. I as a male do most of the cooking for our now empty nester household. Never miss your writing. What fun!

SAHM21 3 years, 1 month ago

I suggest everyone watch Food Inc. Tyson is a gross company

ralphralph 3 years, 1 month ago

Tyson = Arkansan for "shot full of sugar water"

Blech!

slvrntrt 3 years, 1 month ago

Tyson is really, really gross. :(

Good, simple recipes though. Thanks!

darktart 3 years, 1 month ago

$1.49 a pound yesterday at Hy-Vee. Day late, 1/2 dollar short.

deec 3 years, 1 month ago

"WASHINGTON, Dec 19 (Reuters) - Tyson Foods Inc. (TSN), the world's largest poultry processor, two of the firm's executives and four former managers have been indicted on charges of conspiracy to smuggle illegal immigrants to work at its U.S. plants as a way to boost profits, the Justice Department said on Wednesday.

The 36-count indictment, unsealed in federal court in Tennessee, stemmed from a 2 1/2 year undercover investigation by the Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS) into Tyson's business practices, the department said." http://www.organicconsumers.org/Corp/TysonBusted.cfm

grigori 3 years, 1 month ago

Breasts always make me want to pull something out too!