LJWorld.com weblogs Shop Talk with Jenn and Julie

What a Vegetarian Knows about Chicken and Toy Story 3

I was a vegetarian my entire adult life; over 10 years when I met my husband, the hunter. I actually had to do some soul searching to even date the guy. I stayed a vegetarian until I was pregnant with #2; when I actually craved red meat and began to re-introduce it into my diet. Since then I've almost completely re-acclimated myself into the land of the carnivores. Changing my diet was only half the battle; I had to learn how to cook meat as well.

I've learned new techniques, I've learned how to prepare some tried and true recipes. Every now and then I learn something that perhaps the rest of the world already knows...but it is an "Aha!" moment for me. That happened this week when I was making my first chicken noodle soup.

In the course of preparation, I decided to bake my chicken first, then make soup...saves time. What I learned was how easy it was to bake a chicken...my "Aha!" moment came when I realized how easy it would be to double my recipe and freeze the meat for use in a dish sometime down the road. The flavor of the mixed dark and white meat with the seasonings baked in makes a much better flavor in whatever dish I'm going to make next. The best part? It is much cheaper to buy thighs and drumsticks than it is to buy boneless/skinless chicken breasts. Especially when you find a sale like the B1G1 sale at Dillons this week (These ring up at half price).

If you are still leaning like me, or if it just hadn't occurred to you before; here is how I baked my chicken:

Place olive oil in the bottom of a large baking dish (I used 11 x 14) Rinse 3-4 lbs of chicken and place skin side up in dish. Rub olive oil on both sides of the meat. Salt and pepper both sides of the meat. Bake at 400 degrees for 30 minutes then reduce heat to 350 degrees and bake for 10-30 min more.

The chicken was good, I made a double batch to freeze for later and my house smelled amazing. Win, win, win!

Here are a few other notable deals this week:

Spend $30 on Purina Dog Food, get $5 off your next order Buy 2 15lb Bags Beneful @$14.99 Use 2 $2/1 Coupons 10/24 Smart Source $21/30lbs Dog Food After coupons and OYNO You can run this deal many ways, this is the scenario I used

Beginning November 1 Spend $25 on Pampers Diapers and Wipes receive $5 off your next order Buy 2 diapers @$9.99 Buy 1 wipes @$6.99 Use 3 $1/1 coupons from today's P & G insert $17 for 2 packages diapers and 1 box wipes after coupons and OYNO You can run this many ways, this is one example

Toy Story 3 will be released this week. You can print a $8/1 DVD/Blu-Ray Combo Pack HERE

There are a LOT of different deals available on this movie; this one seems the best right now:

Spend $25 on P&G products at CVS and receive $16 off purchase of new Toy Story 3 release. Combine this will the printable coupon above and you can get the movie for almost free. Pair this with many of the deals found in this week's flier and the new P&G insert in today's paper for less than $25 out of pocket.

If you purchase 3 select Campbell's products at the same time as you purchase Toy Story 3 you can submit THIS FORM for a $5 rebate making the deal even better than free.

What are your favorite deals this week? Be sure to leave a comment here or on the Shop Talk Facebook page!

Comments

letitrain 4 years, 1 month ago

I'm must respectfully disagree with the title of this article. At one time you may have been a vegetarian, but it sound like you gave that up a long time ago. What a vegetarian knows about chicken...a vegetarian knows the steps it took to get that chicken in the super market. May I suggest the title "What a former vegetarian knows about chicken. Perhaps you think I'm just a crazy peta loving idiot....I'm not a peta member (I think they are a bit radical). I usually keep my mouth shut about the subject, but for some reason this article rubbed me the wrong way. Maybe I was expecting an intelligent discussion about where are food really comes from and instead I found something different.

HRCJJ 4 years, 1 month ago

"Maybe I was expecting an intelligent discussion about where are food really comes from and instead I found something different."

You mean OUR food right? If you're going to belittle someone else, the very least you can do is make sure you use proper grammar and spelling to do so.

letitrain 4 years, 1 month ago

I was not trying to belittle anyone. I am not claiming to have perfect grammar nor am I saying that I am a professional writer. Sorry if you assumed otherwise. I even admit in my last sentence that I was probably only bothered by it because the article wasn't what I was expecting it to be. I think if I had made the statement in person, the comment may not have come off as being harsh. I am sorry if JEN found it to be harsh and I would like her to know I did not mean it in that way. And HRCJJ, yes I did mean "our", thanks a bunch. I'll try not to assume your belittling me with your grammar correction until you tell me otherwise.

tvc 4 years, 1 month ago

It is kind of odd for someone to call herself a “vegetarian” and buy factory farmed chicken. I would argue a hunter is better animal activist than someone willing to buy cheap meat without any regard to the life the animal lived before becoming a meal.

SuperJenn 4 years, 1 month ago

To clarify: The majority of the meat eaten in our home is both procured and processed by my husband with complete regard for it's life before the meal...as well as the attention and detail given to the way in which it is preserved.

It should also be noted that I referenced the sale at Dillons this week (as this is a blog about sales and deals) without stating where it is that I purchase the chicken that we do buy. In actuality, the brand I chose for my family is one that is higher in price and the meat is produced by family farms. While not free range, there is a higher quality of life and care going into these products and no added hormones or antibiotics.

Kelly Johnson 4 years, 1 month ago

Is the Pampers deal for a specific store?

SuperJenn 4 years, 1 month ago

The Pampers Deal I listed is at Dillons and begins Monday. However, Pampers is a P & G product so you could purchase those at CVS as part of the deal to get a discount on Toy Story 3 as well.

lori 4 years, 1 month ago

Thanks, Jenn! Having also been a vegetarian from late teens to mid-to-late 20s, I am sometimes at a loss on how to fix meat. I appreciate the chicken tip! Do you ever cook them in the crockpot?

SuperJenn 4 years, 1 month ago

You're welcome! It has only been two years since I started eating meat...really one since I started eating chicken (pregnancy #3....darn kids), so I understand!

My favorite recipe for cooking whole chicken in the crock pot is a sticky chicken recipe I found at MomAdvice.com : http://www.momadvice.com/aldi/index.php/main-dishes/sticky-chicken/

Another quick and easy fix. I also have a BBQ chicken recipe that is crock pot friendly... I found it at AllRecipes.com ...it's called "Zesty Slow Cooker Chicken" : http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Zesty-Slow-Cooker-Chicken-Barbecue/Detail.aspx

Joshua Montgomery 4 years, 1 month ago

That BBQ chicken recipe is the best! Highly recommended. Jenn shared with our family recently and we cannot get enough of it. And it is so easy!