LJWorld.com weblogs Shop Talk with Jenn and Julie

Green bean recipe is a winner with my family

I’ve been noticing fresh green beans advertised at our grocers are very plentiful this time of year. And my family loves green beans.

I usually boil the beans and add a little butter, salt and pepper, or sometimes a drizzle of olive oil, garlic, salt, pepper and mint. We also like the beans oven roasted with olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper. All are delicious.

In the June issue of Real Simple magazine, I found a wonderful recipe for green beans. I made this recipe last week, and my son even ate the leftovers. I knew I had to share this recipe.

Green beans are in Dillons ad for 88 cents a pound through June 15.

GREEN BEANS WITH PECANS AND MAPLE VINAIGRETTE

¾ c pecans

Kosher salt and black pepper

2 lbs green beans, trimmed

¼ c olive oil

2 tbl red wine vinegar

2 tbl Dijon mustard

1 tbl pure maple syrup

Heat oven to 400 degrees. Spread pecans on a baking sheet and bake, tossing once, until toasted, 6 to 8 minutes. Let cool, then roughly chop.

Meanwhile, bring a large pot of water to a boil and add 1 tablespoon salt. Add the green beans and cook until just tender (4 to 5 minutes). Drain and run under cold water to cool.

In a large bowl, whisk together the oil, vinegar, mustard, maple syrup, ½ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Add the green beans and pecans and toss to combine.

This recipe make 8 servings.

NOTE: I toasted my pecans in a skillet on the stove.

While you are planning your shopping don't forget to check out Zip2Save for printable coupons to round out your trip.

Comments

Katara 5 years, 1 month ago

I haven't tried roasting green beans before. That sounds pretty tasty.

LadyJ 5 years, 1 month ago

So I go onto the reader's blogs section and click on the recipe exchange category, except I see everything but recipes. Looked through seven pages of blog lists and found six recipes out of all those blogs. So I take it the blog groups doesn't mean anything, so why have them? You need to redo that section so it works properly. Are people given a choice under which category they want it listed under when they start them?

Marcy McGuffie 5 years, 1 month ago

Dayum! That's an interesting twist on plain old green beans. Thanks for the recipe, I'll have to try this one.

1029 5 years, 1 month ago

I aint never had fresh green beans, but you can make a mighty tasty and nutricious shake by putting a can of green giant beans, 5 scoops of vanilla ice cream, and a teaspoon of sugar together in a blender.

Zachary Stoltenberg 5 years, 1 month ago

Zachary Stoltenberg 5 years, 1 month ago

So who's back do you have to scratch on LJW Staff to eliminate comments who out your sources and call attention to fraud? I will continue posting the links to the blogs who you are ripping off every time you put out a new post. This is not going to go away...

Zachary Stoltenberg 5 years, 1 month ago

Here's the deleted post again, tell me JK, what's unacceptable. It's embarrassing as heck and LJ World should be ashamed, but it's not a violation of the user agreement.

This blog is a joke. Nothing Jen and Julie are posting on here is all that spectacular, there are thousands of coupon blogs out there and they all basically have the same information. My wife uses coupons all the time and checks about 4 or 5 of the big coupon blogs daily. Yup, that’s right, there is absolutely nothing “super” about “Super Jen.” The Gillette body wash deal from her last post?

Here it is: http://moneysavingmom.com/2010/06/rite-aid-deals-for-the-week-of-june-13-19-2010.html

These two are only regurgitating information from these other blogs, most of them do, so what’s the problem? The problem is the legal aspect of profiting off of content that is not original. The LJ World and the World companies are endorsing this blog by allowing it to continue. You see, when you publish content, be it online or in print, that isn’t yours, it’s called plagiarizing. When you profit off of plagiarized material, you are legally responsible and liable. This is further compounded by the fact that “Super Plagiarizer” is now holding classes that she charges people to attend, to “teach” them how to coupon. Soooo, she’s charging people for information that is readily available for free on multiple websites and print advertising. I’m pretty sure that’s called fraud. I strongly urge the LJ World and World companies to evaluate the liability they are accepting by allowing this little train-wreck to continue. If she wants a coupon blog, let her move it to her website and stop the free advertising on LJWorld.com. Let her pay for ads like every other coupon blog out there… more like “Super Fraud.”

Katara 5 years, 1 month ago

I imagine it has to do more with the fact that Julie does not teach coupon classes.

And the fact that coupon classes are pretty standard around the nation & they teach the same thing. Many use the similar guides and quite a few charge for those classes.

It isn't fraud. She would have to represent her classes as a place where she has exclusive info on coupons and Jenn has not. Jenn has been pretty open about where she gets her info. She has not claimed that she is the only one privy to coupon info or deals/sales. She has done the legwork and actually has contacted the grocery stores involved to make sure that the deals she posts are true deals and not incorrect info passed around like some coupon websites have happen.

Coupon information is not copyrighted nor is it trademarked. There is no infringement involved. There is no plagiarism involved and most coupon bloggers & site owners would laugh at you for suggesting as such.

Your accusations are false and unfounded.

Zachary Stoltenberg 5 years, 1 month ago

So let me guess, you dropped the 25 bucks huh? Or are you a personal friend...

Let me fill you in. Copy and pasting deals from other blogs is plagiarism in every sense of the word. Thousands of dollars are spent fighting it every year. Programs like http://www.copyscape.com/ allow users to track what sites are copy and pasting their posts. Blogger and Wordpress even have tools to try to stop it. Plagiarism doesn't have anything to do with copyrights or trademarks, if it isn't original content, you can't "sell" it. As to the classes, anyone stupid enough to drop the change deserves what they get. I still have a problem with utilizing the LJ World website as free advertising to generate hits on a personal blog and peddle classes that teach information free to the public.

Katara 5 years, 1 month ago

Neither.

Let me fill you in. This is info shared among coupon bloggers. That is why you see "thousands" of coupons blogs & websites with the same information.

Jonathan Kealing 5 years, 1 month ago

It is name calling and it won't be tolerated. You can disagree with the blog all you like, though I'll point out you're posting on Julie's blog, but you may not call names.

katjok 5 years, 1 month ago

I don't care about the other coupon bloggers, I appreciate that a local shopper is doing all of the work for us.

I have saved a lot of money because of this blog, and all I see is a bunch of negative feedback. I don't want to go find other blogs with the same information, I like it easily accessible on this site. If you are busy questioning whether someone is actually super, or not - maybe you need to count your blessing that you don't have worse problems.

LadyJ 5 years, 1 month ago

I see you left the first part out this time, just so others know this is not the same as your previous post.

Zachary Stoltenberg 5 years, 1 month ago

LadyJ 5 years, 1 month ago

Hey if you get dissappeareded, I will ask if you were given a warning too.

LadyJ 5 years, 1 month ago

I don't think it has anything to do with the fraud allegations, here's a thought, maybe it was what you called her. Posting a recipe for green beans does not warrant such name calling. Try doing it without the name calling.

Katara 5 years, 1 month ago

Generally calling someone a "Super plagiarizer" or a "Super Fraud" falls under the name calling category.

And why are you upset over a blog on green beans & recipes for them?

Zachary Stoltenberg 5 years, 1 month ago

In this case she refers to herself as "Super Jen," I'm pokin' fun at something that is already ridiculous. Hardly name calling... unless she's calling herself names. Don't put yourself out there with a name like that and get upset when someone thinks it's hilarious.

Katara 5 years, 1 month ago

Sorry, you aren't engaging in parody or satire. And you certainly aren't pokin' fun. You're slinging allegations that are fairly serious.

julieanderson 5 years, 1 month ago

As Jonathan has pointed out, I refer to myself as Julie Anderson -- the only name I have.

overthemoon 5 years, 1 month ago

Another quick green bean recipe: Steam trimmed beans to nearly done (boiling takes more nutrients out of fresh produce making them fit for ingredients in 1029's salted shake. Its a horrible thing to do to a vegetable) , and toss them into saute pan with a little olive oil and garlic. Pour a half cup or more prepared Marinara sauce (any pasta sauce will work) and cook on for a couple of minutes. Done. I like using the Italian flat beans for this. They are easy to grow though I don't know if they're cheap at Dillons this week if they even have them.

This is what got my picky eater to eat her beans way back when.

Katara 5 years, 1 month ago

That sounds fairly similar to Greek style green beans. Those can be pretty tasty too.

Danielle Brunin 5 years, 1 month ago

That's what I was thinking, and the Persian or Turkish ways are very similar. Saute the green beans in olive oil with chopped onion and garlic. Then add a can of tomatoes with chilis, or in a few weeks, toss in chopped fresh tomatoes and chilis, and green beans from the garden or Farmer's Market. The Turkish way sometimes adds hamburger, but it doesn't need it to be amazing! Serve with rice. So hungry...

LadyJ 5 years, 1 month ago

Cook them in a pan on the grill with bacon.