LJWorld.com weblogs Shop Talk with Jenn and Julie

Green bean recipe is a winner with my family

I’ve been noticing fresh green beans advertised at our grocers are very plentiful this time of year. And my family loves green beans.

I usually boil the beans and add a little butter, salt and pepper, or sometimes a drizzle of olive oil, garlic, salt, pepper and mint. We also like the beans oven roasted with olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper. All are delicious.

In the June issue of Real Simple magazine, I found a wonderful recipe for green beans. I made this recipe last week, and my son even ate the leftovers. I knew I had to share this recipe.

Green beans are in Dillons ad for 88 cents a pound through June 15.

GREEN BEANS WITH PECANS AND MAPLE VINAIGRETTE

¾ c pecans

Kosher salt and black pepper

2 lbs green beans, trimmed

¼ c olive oil

2 tbl red wine vinegar

2 tbl Dijon mustard

1 tbl pure maple syrup

Heat oven to 400 degrees. Spread pecans on a baking sheet and bake, tossing once, until toasted, 6 to 8 minutes. Let cool, then roughly chop.

Meanwhile, bring a large pot of water to a boil and add 1 tablespoon salt. Add the green beans and cook until just tender (4 to 5 minutes). Drain and run under cold water to cool.

In a large bowl, whisk together the oil, vinegar, mustard, maple syrup, ½ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Add the green beans and pecans and toss to combine.

This recipe make 8 servings.

NOTE: I toasted my pecans in a skillet on the stove.

While you are planning your shopping don't forget to check out Zip2Save for printable coupons to round out your trip.

Comments

LadyJ 3 years, 10 months ago

Cook them in a pan on the grill with bacon.

overthemoon 3 years, 10 months ago

Another quick green bean recipe: Steam trimmed beans to nearly done (boiling takes more nutrients out of fresh produce making them fit for ingredients in 1029's salted shake. Its a horrible thing to do to a vegetable) , and toss them into saute pan with a little olive oil and garlic. Pour a half cup or more prepared Marinara sauce (any pasta sauce will work) and cook on for a couple of minutes. Done. I like using the Italian flat beans for this. They are easy to grow though I don't know if they're cheap at Dillons this week if they even have them.

This is what got my picky eater to eat her beans way back when.

LadyJ 3 years, 10 months ago

I don't think it has anything to do with the fraud allegations, here's a thought, maybe it was what you called her. Posting a recipe for green beans does not warrant such name calling. Try doing it without the name calling.

Zachary Stoltenberg 3 years, 10 months ago

So who's back do you have to scratch on LJW Staff to eliminate comments who out your sources and call attention to fraud? I will continue posting the links to the blogs who you are ripping off every time you put out a new post. This is not going to go away...

Zachary Stoltenberg 3 years, 10 months ago

1029 3 years, 10 months ago

I aint never had fresh green beans, but you can make a mighty tasty and nutricious shake by putting a can of green giant beans, 5 scoops of vanilla ice cream, and a teaspoon of sugar together in a blender.

Marcy McGuffie 3 years, 10 months ago

Dayum! That's an interesting twist on plain old green beans. Thanks for the recipe, I'll have to try this one.

LadyJ 3 years, 10 months ago

So I go onto the reader's blogs section and click on the recipe exchange category, except I see everything but recipes. Looked through seven pages of blog lists and found six recipes out of all those blogs. So I take it the blog groups doesn't mean anything, so why have them? You need to redo that section so it works properly. Are people given a choice under which category they want it listed under when they start them?

Katara 3 years, 10 months ago

I haven't tried roasting green beans before. That sounds pretty tasty.