LJWorld.com weblogs Shop Talk with Jenn and Julie

$0.30 Milk, Free Toothbrushes Produce Coupons and More

Sunday is upon us and its time to round up some deals...I've got both free stuff and cheap stuff to make your shopping week interesting:

There is an unadvertised deal on Smart Balance milk at Dillons: Buy any Smart Balance Spread, Milk or Peanut Butter and receive a Catalina at checkout for one free carton (1/2 gallon) of Smart Balance Milk up to $3.99.

This is a great coupon to "roll" for free milk as many times as you can. It works like this:

Buy any spread, peanut butter or milk.

I bought spread at $2.15.

Upon scanning it at the register, the catalina printed for the free milk.

I did not have any coupons for the spread, but I do know there are some coupons out there for both the spread and the milk, which would have made this an even better deal.

On your next transaction (be it that day or another) use your coupon to get your 1/2 gallon of Smart Balance milk. At Dillons on 6th & Wakarusa the price is $4.29. You will be charged the additional $0.30 the coupon does not cover.

The bonus? When you get that $0.30 milk, another Catalina will print for you...for another "free" milk!

I am trying to find out the dates on this deal, if I can talk to someone at Kroger next week during business hours I'll be sure to update and let you know.

Dillons also has some B1G1 Gillette Body Wash. A reader emailed me earlier this week to ask for some clarification on Dillons "B1G1" policy. Unlike most stores, when Dillons runs a B1G1 sale they state very clearly that "Items will ring up at half price". This has its benefits and its drawbacks: It means you don't have to buy 2 to get the sale. You can buy 1 item and still get it at half the price; however if you have a B1G1 coupon like the one in last week's P&G, you won't get both for free as you would at, say, CVS.

So, here is the deal on Gillette Body Wash:

Buy 2 @ $2.25 each (normally priced at $4.50/ea)

Use B1G1 from P&G = FP 2/$2.25

If you can round up another coupon you may use it on the 2nd item. I have received a lot of $1.50/1 Gillette Body Wash Catalinas lately. Using one of those would bring your FP to $0.75/2

Free toothbrushes can't be a bad thing, right? Don't need any? How about picking some up and passing them on to one of our great local non-profits?

Reach Total Care Toothbrushes at Walgreen's this week are $4.49/ea. There are two scenarios:

Buy 2

Use B1G1 from Red Plum 12/6, 1/3 or 5/16 Use $3/1 In Ad Coupon (Will deduct $6) FP = Free + Overage

Don't have the older Red Plum coupons? Try this: Buy 2 Use this $2/2 Printable Coupon Use the $3/1 In Ad Coupon (Will deduct $6) FP = $1

Nivea for Men Body Wash $5.99 Get $5.99 RR Use $3/1 Coupon from Red Plum (5/2) FP = Free +$3 overage

Hint: Use your coupons in the order I have listed to avoid the dreaded register "beep" and not accept your valid coupons

Idea: Purchase your Reach Toothbrushes and Nivea bodywash together. The $2 overage on the toothbrushes will cover the majority of the OOP (out of pocket) expense. You will get 2 toothbrushes and 1 body wash for $0.99 + tax OOP and you will get $5.99 in RR.

You can print a $0.75/1 coupon from Earthbound Organic Farms for Baby Spinach by signing up on their website. Produce coupons are few and far between so I'll be sure to highlight them when they come along.

Sears has a promotion on Men's Clothing right now: Spend $50 get $50 in "Come Back Cash". This is a Mail-In-Rebate. You have to spend your $50 before 6/20 and mail the rebate in by 7/20. The $50 "Come Back Cash" will also have to be spent on Men's clothing. You can see the details in today's insert.

Michael's has the coveted "50% off ONE item" coupon in today's insert. Not just a one day sale, this coupon is good all week this week. Valid on regular priced items, it is often hard to find what you want NOT on sale when these coupons come out. I've had my eye on several Wilton pieces and it looks like these might actually NOT be on sale this week.

You can get a free purple apron from Cooking Light Magazine when you purchase two items from this list: Eggland's Best, International Delights CoffeeHouse Inspirations Skinny, McCormick Recipe Inspirations, Pepperidge Farms Frozen Breads, or Sargento Reduced Sodium Cheeses. You can send the original cash register receipts along with proof of purchase in with a postcard with your name, address and zip. You'll get the apron PLUS $25 in coupons. Visit the site to read all of the information.

The Crocs dealI posted yesterday is still good today. 14 different styles of Crocs are all on sale for nearly to more than 1/2 off! Check it out if you need shoes for anyone in the family.

What deals did you find this week? Share with us here or on our Facebook Page!

IronChefKS 5 years, 4 months ago

FreshAirFanatic 5 years, 4 months ago

Sounds like your advanced degree has made for a very poor family.

BorderRuffian 5 years, 4 months ago

What a snide, nasty remark. Her post has the potential to benefit people. Yours just denigrates them. I don't think I like you very much.

Stuart Evans 5 years, 4 months ago

women's lib...wrecked by coupons.. go figure.

justmememe 5 years, 4 months ago

IronChefKS (anonymous) says...

More Crocs Flip Flops $12.74 Shipped I enjoyed seeing Alf's posts get punted on that other thread. Good to see the bully get pushed off the playground.

May 20, 2010 at 1:46 p.m. ( permalink | suggest removal )

Seems a bit hypocritical reading your previous post on the same author's blog....

9070811 5 years, 4 months ago

Coupons can really work if you search hard for the healthy products' coupons. They obviously do for Jenn. However, this blog could be written better.

parrothead8 5 years, 3 months ago

I'd never heard of her class until you mentioned it. Looks like you're the one doing the advertising...maybe she should thank you.

justmememe 5 years, 4 months ago

Make sure you also get rid of any nasty magazine subscriptions with articles you don't like too....why should you have to put up with one story you don't like just to read the rest??

not_that_crazy 5 years, 4 months ago

Agreed. Poorly written cut-and-paste from other coupon blogs. I watch prices, too, but this is embarrassing self promotion.

impska 5 years, 4 months ago

I don't really understand the animosity here. Coupon blogs are hardly the reason you lack respect in the workplace. I certainly don't understand how coupons and sales set back feminism.

These blogs are for people who are trying to stretch a budget. I'm glad that your advanced degree has made you financially comfortable. It's great that saving a couple of bucks on dinner isn't a priority for you. It is for some people.

If you don't like it, and you don't get anything out of it, then don't waste your time reading it. I don't read the sports section, and yet I somehow manage not to plague every story with my anti-sports commentary.

Personally, I started a Sunday paper subscription because of this blog - which I suspect is the point.

madman 5 years, 4 months ago

Seriously? What do coupons have to do with your glass ceiling at your job? Get a new one then, it sounds terrible. I have an advanced degree as well and own my own business. I still pay attention to prices and coupons. Why should I spend more than I need to on milk?

Raymond Munoz 5 years, 4 months ago

Well ladies, we love you here at the Douglas County Dental Clinic! If anyone wants to donate their free toothbrushes so that we can hand them out to our patients, you can find us at 316 Maine St. Please feel free to come by any time!

Katara 5 years, 4 months ago

Thanks for your address! Do you need dental floss too? That item comes up for free with coupons quite a bit.

formerksteacher 5 years, 4 months ago

What the heck is a catalina, anyway!? Did I miss something??

SuperJenn 5 years, 4 months ago

A catalina is the little strip of paper that prints off at the register when you check out. Most of the time they are coupons...sometimes it is $$ off your next purchase or an ad for an upcoming sale. They print on a separate machine next to the tape register that prints your receipt.

Steve Bunch 5 years, 3 months ago

I think you mean "as I said." Beyond that, you have a curious notion of what constitutes a "bully." Try to make sense.

tomatogrower 5 years, 4 months ago

I don't have anything against coupons, but I just wonder if companies stopped offering coupons, and just used the money spent on this advertising, if they couldn't just lower the price for everyone. I don't have lots of time to collect coupons, but my purchases are helping to pay for the coupons.

Katara 5 years, 3 months ago

They are not. It is funny how some people have this idea that they are supporting couponer's purchases. Even if that idea was accurate, it would mean you are buying the exact same items/or brands that coupons are printed for. The fact is that only 0.7% of all coupons issued were redeemed and only 4% of all Americans regularly used them. http://www.southernsavers.com/2010/02/2009-coupon-usage-numbers/

You seriously want us to believe that 4% of the population using 0.7% of coupons issued are increasing the prices of your products?

I am also not sure why people seem to think that companies will lower overall prices if they are able to reduce costs. How often have you seen that happen voluntarily?

It does not take a lot of time to collect coupons. The inserts are delivered straight to you if you subscribe to the Sunday paper. You don't have to clip them all & file them. Many just keep the inserts by date in a folder & clip as needed.

I maybe spend at maximum 2-3 hours/week with coupons. I do clip them all because the ones I know I won't use are given to others and I purge my coupon box of the expireds to send off for the OCP.

Considering that my average savings per week on my groceries is $112.51, I find it worthwhile to spend those few hours on my coupons. YMMV.

The proof is in my refrigerator. It is packed with fresh produce, milk & eggs. My meat freezer holds the 1/4 beef that I purchase every 8-9 months, approximately 5-7 whole chickens I get on sale, 2 turkeys and plenty of fish & seafood. It does also contain some chicken nuggets, bratwurst & hot dogs because those things are fine to eat & are easy to to cook when we are pressed for time which occasionally happens despite my planning.

My other freezer contains produce from my garden & other produce that I froze last summer. It also contains baked goods that I get from the day old bakery section & freeze. It also contains flour I use for baking. I also have ice cream, cookie dough & some fruit pies because having occasional treats is not going to hurt you, no matter what JackRIpper, Seamus & others would have you believe.

I do also have frozen meals (such as Marie Callenders & Healthy Choice meals) for me to use when I don't have time to put together my lunch in the morning. I only have a 1/2 hour for lunch.

My life is fairly typical of most couponers. We aren't all out just eating Velveeta sandwiches or stuffing our faces with Nutter Butters. We may stock on some of those items but those items last for months in the household. They are not regular purchases and they certainly are not consumed all at once.

Katara 5 years, 3 months ago

The stereotypes that JackRipper & Seamus constantly post on these blogs are just that - stereotypes - born out of their own bizarre fantasy world that harkens back to the idea of the Noble Savage. They talk about how couponers are sheep that will consume anything & are too stupid to understand marketing yet they use their extreme stereotypes born of ignorance to market their ideas. They are no different from the marketing execs they blame for their problems.

If you actually read their posts, they are way to busy lumping people into various categories depending on which stage they are in on their rants. So far, according to them, I am a sorority girl, a sports fanatic with jock beliefs, a soccer mom & apparently employed in marketing. I am either spending my day clipping coupons or I am spending my day driving a SUV around to purchase things or shuttling children. None of which are even remotely correct but if it serves their purpose they'll post whatever BS they want.

Most coupon sites & couponers watch their money closely & are working on not going into debt. They are concerned about what they spend their dollars on. They recycle, reuse & make many things from scratch. They are big participants in Freecycle. They are the ones who are donating to the Food banks & local shelters. They donate school supplies to your local schools.

What do JackRipper & Seamus do? They buy Amish Oats, Iwig milk, used shoes and complain on coupon blogs. They whine about how it is soooooo hard to make a difference because some people have money & we all know that the little guy never wins. They don't even try because I guess that would mean that their ideas might be questioned & they might not have answers to those questions. Or perhaps they are afraid that their ideas are not sound & will not hold up to scrutiny. Either way, they are not willing to do anything more other than complain on blogs.

Who do you think makes a more productive impact?

tomatogrower 5 years, 3 months ago

They have to pay companies to print and papers to distribute the coupons, so it does cost the company up front, and they know that only a few people will use them, so they aren't out much money. I'm talking about the up front advertising money spent to print these coupons. That's what costs a lot of money. But I do agree with you. If they stopped printing the coupons, they wouldn't pass on the savings to everyone; they would pocket the money.

Katara 5 years, 3 months ago

Those costs are the cost of doing business. A lot of companies get to write advertising costs off (TV ads, radio spots & coupons) in one form or another, yet they have never passed those savings on to consumers and they probably never will.

Local companies don't do that either. Checkers may talk a good game about their prices being lower (They aren't most times, even with coupon) but they benefit from coupons printed & distributed by manufacturers. They are reimbursed for the face value of the coupon + handling costs (usually $.08/coupon). They also benefit from marketing tools coupons employ - getting you into the store to purchase your item with coupon & then since you are already there, purchasing other items. That is how it works. Checkers also engages in loss leader items to get you in the door. But anyone else that does that form of advertising or marketing is Evil.

Bottom line is that any business is going to try to find ways to have you purchase their product. Some post their plight in a news article (Iwig Farms), some print their ads in the paper offering sales on items (Hy-Vee, Dillons, Walgreens & CVS). Others print out coupons for certain amounts or percentages off (manufacturers). Local producers engage in the same. I occasionally get an email with coupons for one of the local meat producers offering me a free item with my purchase.

Katara 5 years, 3 months ago

I am very aware of the different prices for different stores. Checkers is not always the cheaper option. You can continue to believe that it is. Others know that it is not.

I am sorry you did not try to seek treatment. The deterioration in your posting is back. I would encourage you to go to your doctor tomorrow if you refuse to do so tonight, so that you can be screened for a possible TIA or ministroke.

I hope that you do and that you get back to your normal coherent posting self.

I am not going to discuss anything further with someone I believe to be experiencing a serious medical issue and who refuses to check it out. It obviously is too much of a distraction for you and I don't wish to be one of the excuses you provide the EMTs for delaying action.

Katara 5 years, 3 months ago

You keep using "framing the discussion/or framing you". I don't think you know what that means. If anyone is responsible for sticking yourself in a category, it is yourself. You really frame yourself in the victim role. I don't understand it. If you are as active & savvy in your life as you want to portray yourself as, why adopt the victim role? It is too hard for you to do anything but complain on a newspaper forum because everyone else is keeping you down. The only person keeping yourself down is you.

You make odd assumptions about what people say. I don't believe anyone has said or implied that you and Seamus live in a shack or that you can't afford "quality" housing. The person who made mention of foot diseases in used shoes stated that they had concern about foot diseases in childrens' shoes & that is a valid concern. But unless you wear used childrens' shoes, JackRipper, I don't think that person said you wear ratty old disease infested shoes. You took that comment & ran with it.

The #1 reason for foot problems is ill fitting shoes, JackRipper. It is a valid concern considering as I posted that used shoes are already molded (that means shaped, not to imply that your shoes are moldy) to the previous owners feet. It isn't diabetes or obesity as both you and Seamus put forth. A quick Google search would have shown that you were both wrong. But I'm sure that wouldn't stop you from disseminating such misinformation.

The oats thing. Why is it that Seamus's only example of eating cheaply is oats? Surely there are other foods out there, correct? But Seamus chose to focus on oats and nothing else.

Here's an idea: Why don't you and Seamus put up your own blogs complete with your weekly menus & recipes? That way you can show all of us sheep the proper way to do it.

I believe there is actual a helpful tutorial available & on top of that, writing your own blogs on LJW is free. What a great way to get your message out!

Kris Adair 5 years, 4 months ago

I try to make purchases local. I am a regular at the Farmers Market, belong to a CSA, am a member of The Merc and shop Checkers sometimes to try to keep my money local. I can tell you that they do not grow toothbrushes around here. I have looked. And I usually ignore these promotions because I like the kind that rarely go on sale. This time I am going to take them up on their free toothbrush (or reduced cost, dont know if I have that coupon) and donate them to a local charity. Even people who are down on their luck need clean teeth. Thanks for the info! Wish I had time to follow the sales but I am glad someone does.

Katara 5 years, 3 months ago

I hope that you got checked out & that everything is okay or that you received treatment in time.

I do have to take issue with your snotty remark here to kris_adair. That person does a ton for the local economy and provides a much needed service to many people in Lawrence. If you are as committed to buying locally & do everything locally, you would recognize the name and the contributions made. It is entirely possible that you benefit daily from the contributions made. Instead, you'd prefer to make snide remarks because you are too enamored of your stereotypes.

headdoctor 5 years, 4 months ago

Funny how Jack Ripper, Seamus and a couple of others leave one with the indication that they have a reasonable amount of education yet all that is spewed from their keyboards is ignorant drivel. No one takes you people serious other than just for the humor of your stupidity. Most of us realize you just can't fix stupid. Even more humorous is you are participating in some of the same that you rant against. I guess it is a case of don't do as I do but as I say. Harassing the women on a coupon blog is not helping your cause for credibility. That speaks volumes of your real cause since you both have always ignored posting on any threads that actually pertain to some of your complaints. Minor exception would be the sports threads and the way you lay out your posts no one really takes you seriously there either. Guess your in a fix. You can't deal with women or men on an adult level. Sucks to be you.

BorderRuffian 5 years, 4 months ago

What a bunch of liberal bloodsucking holier-than-thou meatheads there are on here. The lady researches bargains and coupons, and she shares the results with us. She saves herself - and us - money. I guess using coupons and good deals violates the snooty Larryville attitude that unless you pay full (read that, exorbitant) retail prices, you cannot be a good person.

And on top of that, there seems to be an elitist attitude that if she somehow benefits in any way from sharing her information, there is a serious ethical breach. Horse hockey! If her blog benefits anyone here, who cares if she might or might not benefit? With all the BS blogs and comments, it is AMAZING that someone actually has the guts to be helpful or beneficial to her readers.

To you who somehow think paying the highest price somehow marks you as part of the upper crust, shame on you for looking down on the rest of us. Why don't you just go over to Johnson County and beg the cashiers there to charge you "high class" prices.

Me? I'm gonna go clip a few coupons and maybe go bowling.

headdoctor 5 years, 3 months ago

Yup. BorderRuffian. Most of the rants have been explained over and over again and the ones ranting are to busy shoving everyone into their own little box of what they think reality is and is contrary to the horse and buggy days or before that these clowns would prefer to live in. They have it in their head that all coupons are for processed food and that no one buys local or cooks from scratch, etc. If all else fails they bring up Corporations, marketing, peak oil, and corn subsidies. all of which none of us can do a damn thing about. People have tried and it is beyond the average persons reach, even collectively. They don't get that you can not get everything local and never could. I am almost embarrassed for them displaying such stupidity with that much education. Especially the women who's post was removed.

headdoctor 5 years, 3 months ago

I have no intentions of arguing with a fool. You will just drag me down to your level then beat me with experience. You have your own reality, what ever that is and you are not going to change your mind even if facts are presented. It isn't as if many on here are not aware of subjects you bring up. It just isn't very practical to waste the time fighting them. People have biological imperatives and one of those is to have food for themselves and their off spring. Most are going to get as much as they can for as little as they can despite your thoughts on the subject.

whats_going_on 5 years, 3 months ago

"It's funny, you haven't been able to dispute any of the claims with anything other then name calling."

..." you obviously have been such a willing slackie..."

Not trying to get in the middle, but...irony.

Katara 5 years, 3 months ago

I am becoming concerned about you now. Your posts are starting to become incoherent. Please take a minute or two & find someone to do the tests on this website. I am concerned you are experiencing a stroke and it is nothing to play around with.

If you are not sure, please go to the ER and get checked out. If you get help quickly, you can minimize the potential damage.

Katara 5 years, 3 months ago

I am completely serious. Your last two posts have significant problems that indicate that you may be having some kind of problem. I may disagree with you but I certainly would not wish anything bad to happen to you. It is not defining you if you are experiencing a medical issue.

Strokes are nothing to pooh-pooh. They are serious and people suffering from them need treatment ASAP.

Please, please take the time to get someone to check you with the tests on the website I posted above. If you are unsure, please go to the ER immediately.

Katara 5 years, 3 months ago

Please get some assistance. Your posting (sentence structure, unusual typos, etc) has deteriorated since last night significantly. Please find someone to help you with the self tests. Strokes are nothing to laugh about. If they are not treated in time, they can cause significant damage and even death.

Many stroke sufferers do not notice symptoms at first. It is usually a 3rd party that does.

If you are having any difficulty with your eyesight (blurry, double vision, etc) or are having difficulty with your speech (slurring, difficulty finding the word you want, etc), please go to the ER immediately!

whats_going_on 5 years, 3 months ago

can I ask you a question?

what if the coupon was for a local business? Would it be acceptable then?

Katara 5 years, 3 months ago

I've asked this very same question several times. I never seem to get an answer though.

One local meat producer regularly includes coupons and discounts in her emails to her customers and newsletter subscribers. Lots of local businesses advertise in the paper & have coupons for their products.

Katara 5 years, 3 months ago

Please get some assistance. At the very minimum, ask someone in your household to administer the self-tests. Surely you have a neighbor that would do that for you? It is not something to joke about. Strokes are very serious and your recent posts are showing that you may be experiencing one.

Healthy people can & do have strokes. Please get checked out. If you have no one around to assist you, please go to the ER for assistance.

"If you're with someone who may be having stroke symptoms, immediately call 9-1-1 or the EMS. Expect the person to protest — denial is common. Don't take "no" for an answer. Insist on taking prompt action." http://www.americanheart.org/presenter.jhtml?identifier=4742

whats_going_on 5 years, 3 months ago

enough with the "go seek help" bit...seriously.

Katara 5 years, 3 months ago

I am sorry that it bothers you that someone may be experiencing symptoms of a potentially serious medical condition and is refusing to take it seriously. I hope that encouraging someone to seek medical attention did not inconvenience you too much.

There was a very noticeable change in the quality of JackRipper's posts since last night.

Pardon me for not assuming that the man was drunk, under the influence of illegal drugs or off legal meds for a mental illness. Nothing about his posts suggested the above even though I know that is a typical thing to say on the LJW when you disagree with a person.

Katara 5 years, 3 months ago

I am completely serious. Your recent posts indicate that you may be experiencing a stroke or TIA. If you want to believe it is a marketing trick then you are wasting valuable time in getting treatment. Please seek assistance. This is nothing to play around with. Time is very very important when something like that happens. Please, please, please just have someone check you out to make sure you are okay.

headdoctor 5 years, 3 months ago

Jack, Katara is not the only one who has noticed a dip in your posting quality. This isn't about high school or junior high antics. Katara is being dead serious with you. You can have someone do the quick test and no one on here will know if you did or didn't unless you broadcast it yourself.

Keith 5 years, 3 months ago

Maybe Katara is the one having a stroke, she keeps repeating the same thing over and over like we've never heard it before. It's not even a very good imitation of a concern troll.

Katara 5 years, 3 months ago

JackRIpper usually posts in a coherent manner that is readable & understandable. You don't have to agree with someone to be concerned when their normal behavior is off. I don't meet the definitions of a concern troll. I don't pretend to agree with him nor do I attempt to ally with him in an attempt to get people on my side. If the man is having a stroke or a TIA, I want him to get medical treatment. Period.

His 3:02pm post today shows some difficulty in communicating. So do other posts on this blog. It is highly unusual for him to post this way.

My repetitive posts were not for your benefit but I do hope that you read the stroke & TIA information so that you can respond quickly should someone show symptoms. Neither a stroke nor a TIA is something to ignore.