LJWorld.com weblogs Shop Talk with Jenn and Julie

My Favorite Weekly Deals: 11/1 - 11/7

After the shopping extravaganza I experienced last week... I decided I wouldn't do any shopping this week. My normal weekly budget is $50...and since I spent $100 I needed to lay off a little, not to mention I have two sick kids at home who don't need to be sharing their germs with the world. Before my withdrawl gets out of control I'm glad to see some of the deals around this week. This is also a big insert weekend...as its the first of the month you will see all three inserts: P&G, Red Plum and SmartSource. Stock up on this one!

Target Logo

I refuse to pay more than $1 for my cereal. It is absurd. If I could take all of the money I wasted on cereal over the years and put it in a pot...I'd have enough for a very nice vacation. When there are sales like the one at Target this week...I stock up. I've got cereal stashed in a variety of unique places in my house in order to store it all...but its worth it to me to save that money.

A variety of Kellogg's cereals are on sale at Target for $2.66/ea this week. While that isn't such a great deal in of itself... they are also running a Buy 3 Get One Free sale. This reduces the price per box to $1.99 ... still not a fabulous deal. HOWEVER...there are several $1/1 printable Kellogg's coupons available right now. You can find them at Coupons.com and additionally at the Kellogg's website. Each of these coupons is printable twice per computer in your home. You can use 4 $1/1 coupons on your purchase ...bringing the cost down to $0.99 per box of cereal. THIS is the type of deal I'm fond of.

We are big fans of the Nintendo Wii at our house. I run another blog, Wii Mommies, dedicated to virtual fitness with products like the Wii Fit, EASports Active and Personal Trainer: Walking, among others. But I have to say some of my favorite time on the Wii is spent racing my husband and my son at Mario Kart. This week both Target and Toys R Us are having sales on games for the Nintendo Wii .... it would be a good time to buy some games for Christmas gifts... especially if you combine the deals:

• Target has Buy 2 Get 1 Free on the games $49.99 and under for Nintendo Wii. Toys R Us has Buy 1 Get 1 Half off for the same. While I'm not certain this will work...I'm going to give it a try:

-Buy 6 games at $49.99 = $300

• 2 Games Free (Target Sale) = $200

• 2 Games at 1/2 price with Price Matching (TRU sale) = $150

You are then purchasing 6 games at $25 each instead of $50.

Not that I'm going to purchase 6 games for my family and spend $150... I have a couple of friends that I will go in with to make this deal work to our advantage.

Another great gift idea for Christmas is the Leap Frog Tag Reader. Originally I wasn't thrilled with the idea of a toy that reads to my kid... I can do that myself! Turns out the Tag Reader is much more than that..and my kids both love it. The Tag Reader is priced at $40 at Target. There is a $10/1 printable coupon that will help with that price....there is also a Target Toy Coupon Book out in the world (I haven't been able to get my hands on it yet) that contains a Target $10/1 coupon for Tag...reducing the price to $20. The Tag books are on sale at TRU this week for $9.99 ... price matching these at Target, where they are normally priced at nearly $14, and using this $3/1 printable coupon will net you these books for $6.99 each... around half price.

Dillon's

Dillon's has another mega event going on ... buy any 10 participating items and get $5 off ($0.50 per item) automatically when you check out. Assuming you buy 10 participating items and get the discount here are some of the better deals:

Hormel Chili - $0.79 - buy 3 and use the $2/3 coupon from the 10/18 Smart Source and you will net them for $0.13 each.

DelMonte Tomatoes - $0.49 - Buy 5 and use $1/5 from 9/20 RedPlum and the price is reduced to $0.29/each

I Can't Believe Its Not Butter - $1.17 - Buy 2, use $1/2 from 9/13 insert and you get each for $0.67.

Halls Cough Drops - $0.50 - $0.35/1 (doubles to $0.70/1) from 9/27 Smart Source and this is FREE + $0.15 overage

Ricola Cough Drops - $0.50 - B1G1 from 10/11 Smart Source lowers the price to $0.25/bag.

Colgate Toothpaste - $1.00 -There are any variety of coupons from recent inserts that will make this a free item.

BumbleBee Tuna - $0.49 - $0.55/1 from 9/13 Smart Source (doubles to $1/1) - Free + $0.50 overage OR 2 Free with one coupon

Nestle Toll House Morsels - $1.99 - Use $0.50/1 in today's Red Plum (Doubles to $1/1) - $0.99. This price is worth stocking up and throwing some in the freezer...Holiday baking is just around the corner...

There are many other great deals ... be sure to check them out as you shop through the store.

Walgreen's

If you missed the sale on Campbell's Chicken Noodle and Tomato Soup at CVS last week, you have another chance to get them free using your $1/2 printable, they are $0.50 each at Walgreen's this week.

As the Holidays approach you will find more and more deals ... Julie and I will do our best to keep you informed...you can help us out by reporting your fab finds here as well!! Thanks for reading and sharing!

Follow Shop Talk with Jenn and Julie on Twitter and on Facebook.

Comments

thadrosen 5 years, 1 month ago

Such blatant free advertising for these stores. :(

passionatelibra 5 years, 1 month ago

I shopped at Dillon's on Friday and hit all those good sales and more. Combined with my coupons I bought everything I needed (no extras) and saved $50. This is the first time in a long time I was able to get what we needed without going over budget or go without some stuff.

darkagent 5 years, 1 month ago

I guess Checkers and HyVee are s*&t out of luck again this week. I heard HyVee had such a great sale on Thursday It started backing up traffic on both Kasold and at 6th street. What other sales are you not going to crow about? Is this really news or as another blogger posted "blatant advertising". Your readers are not getting the whole story.

thadrosen 5 years, 1 month ago

Here is the link to Checkers current weekly ad:

Also, be sure to sign up for the Lawrence Give Back program and use it at Checkers (the only grocery store participating) in order to get local dollars back into our community.

Checkers also matches any other stores' ads, so your "deals" at Dillons and Target will transfer over along with the coupons. Sure, they don't double, but I feel satsified knowing a portion of my purchase is going towards the organization I picked.

Checkers alone has generated over $20,000 for the Lawrence community in its first 6 months in the program.

thadrosen 5 years, 1 month ago

Also, I'm curious how you get around the fine print on these coupons. "One coupon per item purchased.Offer cannot be combined with any other offer." Seems pretty straightforward to me, yet your "stacking" of coupons borders on ... coupon fraud. Not good.

Sigh.

Find your own deals if you don't like the ones posted. Complainers yet again complaining because someone else is not doing the work for them.

How about some of you complainers actually contributing some deals to these threads? If buying "local" is so important to you, then post some good "local" deals. Help encourage people to patronize the business you want them to go to. How difficult is that?

Dillon's deals -

Pedigree+ canned dog food - use the BOGO coupon from the 9/27 RP insert + the $5/10 item deal = .14/ea.

Carnation evaporated milk - buy 2 & use the $.50/2 coupon from today's RP insert + the $5/10 item deal = .29/can - great for stocking up for holiday treats

Honeycrisp apples - $.99/lb

Hy-Vee deals -

Russet potatoes 5lbs - $.99

Grimmway baby carrots 1lb - .69 w/Hy-Vee coupon - limit 1

Butter Kernel canned veggies - 3/$1 w/Hy-Vee coupon

Jolly Time microwave popcorn 2-3ct - 10/$10 - use $.50/1 coupon from the 9/27 SS insert = $.50/box

thadrosen 5 years, 1 month ago

Look above.

Checkers weekly ad is posted.

Here, I'll give it to you again: http://www.checkersfoods.com/weeklyad.pdf

And another: http://www2.ljworld.com/marketplace/businesses/checkers-foods/ads/7663/

Oh, and did I mention that Checkers donates 1% of your bill to your favorite local charity? GIVE BACK

alm77 5 years, 1 month ago

'coupon fraud'. Now THAT's funny!

Bobbi Reid 5 years, 1 month ago

thad, stacking coupons is not coupon fraud if you are using them correctly. Because you can only stack a manufacturer coupon with a store coupon, you can't stack multiple manufacturer coupons which would be coupon fraud.

Katara 5 years, 1 month ago

thadrosen (Anonymous) says… Look above.

Checkers weekly ad is posted.

Here, I'll give it to you again: http://www.checkersfoods.com/weeklyad

And another: http://www2.ljworld.com/marketplace/b

Oh, and did I mention that Checkers donates 1% of your bill to your favorite local charity? give back ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Yup. You don't get it. The point of posting the deals (tell us which coupons match which sales) is to help others - something you are apparently unwilling to do.

And you haven't a clue about coupon rules. Each product is a purchase. If I have 2 widgets, I can use 1 coupon per widget. I can stack 1 store coupon (and this depends on the store's coupon policy) with 1 manufacturer coupon.

One coupon per transaction is a different matter and you may only use 1 coupon on your total bill for that.

Oh and did I mention that Hy-Vee donates 1% to your local schools?

Wow. How desperate do you have to be to troll a coupon thread?

alm77 (Anonymous) says…

'coupon fraud'. Now THAT's funny!

I got 6 boxes of cereal at HyVee for FREE. It was buy 6/$10 and then you got $10 off your grocery order through a General Mills promotion. Not only that, but after I checked out, the coupon printer gave me $6 off of milk! It was a 6 hours only sale, but I had two neighbors tell me about it, so we had to check it out. We got tons of food for only $45. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Awesome deal! Free cereal & at least 2 gallons of free milk!

I rocked that 6 hour sale too! I got approximately $70 worth of groceries for $19.70. It was one of my better shops, I'd have to say.

gilly 5 years, 1 month ago

Katara 5 years, 1 month ago

Oh and don't forget to hitup the Halloween clearance sales happening now. Stock up for next year! I find great deals for items that are perfect for classroom parties.

gilly (Anonymous) says…

This is still shilling for certain corporate groups. The Journal World should be a lot more honest about parading this as a news item. A previous commenter seemed to think that the entire point of blogs is to advertise, so I'll take that as a given and ask the Journal World: what exactly are you advertising with a blog like this? Isn't this just another way to work advertising into the paper under the guise of news? At the very least, it should be labeled as an advertisement. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Blogs aren't news. What makes people think that blogs are news?

Have you even looked at the blog list on the website? None of them are news.

SuperJenn 5 years, 1 month ago

Thanks for the link and info on Checkers... I'm so glad to have people sharing information with each other on here to broaden the deals we all can find. As it has been mentioned before, its unfortunate that the published ad for Checkers is so limited ... at this stage in MY life in particular, it doesn't make it worth my time to drive across town and search out the individual deals...and I promise you, no one wants to stand behind me as they price match each one of my items with my three kids in tow ...they get louder with each shopping trip I take!

I'm also thrilled to hear about their community involvement. As you know from reading this blog, and if you have spent any time at SuperJenn.com , I am a huge proponent of giving back to the community...I do it often and I use my couponing skills to help out with that. I buy a substantial amount of food and supplies to give back to local charities!

Katara pretty much summed it up... but the wording on coupons is such that it specifies what the retailer will receive from them when they accept the coupon. Many coupons say "Do Not Double" ...but stores like Kroger (Dillon's) have their computers set to automatically double any coupon under $1. The store has chosen to offer that extra discount on their own, they will not be reimbursed by the manufacturer for it. The same is true with "stacking" coupons. If you stack a store coupon with a manufacturer's coupon...it is an additional offer, much like a sale, that the store has chosen to offer its customers. This varies from store to store and it is practical if you are going to utilize coupons to any extent to know the store's policy...and often to carry it with you.

I've actually talked with several different manufacturers (= nerd, I know) and clarified wording such as "per transaction" on coupons and this is what I've learned:

"Per Transaction" = You may only use one coupon per receipt. Want to use more than one? Make a separate trip.

"Per Customer/Household" = Using more than one constitues fraudulent use of the coupon.

"Per item/Per purchase" = You may use one coupon for each item you purchase...as many as you like.

SuperJenn 5 years, 1 month ago

Passionatelibra and alm77: Nicely done! I love hearing how much people are saving and stretching their dollars!

Katara...thanks again for the excellent matchups and deals. I have a friend who has been on the hunt for a popcorn deal ... she is thrilled!

I'm so terribly bummed that I missed the extrodinairy sale at HyVee last week. Julie mentioned it to me and I have several friends who told me about it... unfortunately life got in my way...my child having a nasty flu took precedence over blogging and shopping that sale this week. I'm sure the folks at HyVee will forgive me...and thank me for not showing up and spreading our germs!! LOL

thadrosen 5 years, 1 month ago

Thanks for the clarification regarding the coupon stacking.

I understand that you are trying to seek out the best ways to utilize your coupon deals, I just honestly wish you would throw a great local store like Checkers a bone every once in a while.

They may be a no frills warehouse type of store, but they've been around a long time and contribute a lot to the community. The owner delivers groceries for free to homebound residents. They pretty much will donate to any non profit organization that asks. Plus, the Give Back program is doing so much good through their contributions.

Sure, their sales ad may be limited, but a lot of their prices are already low because of their "no frill" design.

No harm intended, but I think this blog caters to the chain stores which is only putting more money in their pockets-- and less in our local businesses.

headdoctor 5 years, 1 month ago

Thadrosen, you seem to be drawn to this weekly coupon blog like a moth to a flame which makes me wonder what is in it for you. I have a great idea for you. If you don't like or agree with what you see then don't read it. You could also start your own news paper and have online blogs where you could do as you please. Since starting a paper is more than likely out of your price range I can also give you links to several hosting sites that are very cheap or free and you can start your own forum and post about Checkers and other local deals till your heart is content.

Most of us on here know about Checkers, we know their policies, we know they donate to the community, and we know they will price match. The reasons have been given before on here why Checkers and their advertisement procedures do not make it practical or easy to include them in this blog.

Checkers is not the only place that will match prices but I for one am not going to stand there for an hour or more tracking down Lewis, his son or a manager to match prices or argue with them why they can't match the price because the brands are not the same, and yes that has happened in the past.

It is unfortunate that Checkers own marketing plan removes them from consideration such as not putting out a larger add or like it was for a while when they wouldn't accept printable coupons. Perhaps you have some pull with them and can get them to change there attitude about marketing. As it is there isn't much in their weekly add that is applicable to couponing.

make_a_difference 5 years, 1 month ago

Checkers has the best produce department...I love it! This grocery is not the most convenient for my location...not inconvenient, just a bit further, but certainly worth the extra effort. And more than once when I was looking for a product & not finding it on the self, I've had an employee notice, inquire & follow through with checking into ordering...resulted in products I wouldn't have been able to purchase there & now can. I've also noticed that Checkers is stocking numerous products I presiously could only find at The Merc. I love the Merc also & have been shopping there for 25+ years. Why people would buy their spices/herbs in those cans & pay more for a far inferior product is beyond me! I love their produce department also, but just can't always afford to buy produce exclusively there...but do when I can. Granted, I can't shop exclusively at The Merc, but there are lots of items I save money on or can only find there. Checkers & The Merc are my "go to" grocery stores. I find the staff at both stores to be friendly, knowledgable & helpful. Both stores give uniquely to our community in much needed ways & we would be less fortunate without them!

Now please, don't take this as a slight to the other grocers in town...this isn't intended that way...I sometimes use them...just not regularly...I know that they also add to our community.

thadrosen 5 years, 1 month ago

headdoctor, I've been shopping at Checkers since it opened and have guided many friends and family there.

My motives are not sinister, I simply hate to see a great place being slighted in favor of Super chains who will do anything to get you in the door.

LadyJ 5 years, 1 month ago

thadrosen 5 years, 1 month ago

headdoctr, PS: And why would you expect to be able to match an ad with different brands? It's called ad "Match"ing.

I hope I don't encounter you in the line at Checkers or otherwise.

SuperJenn 5 years, 1 month ago

LadyJ - Are you using IE or Firefox/Safari? Sometimes people have difficulty printing from Firefox/Safari. Also sometimes once the print limit has been reached for the campaign you will get the "install printer" prompt ... but I've printed from both sites in the last hour so they should still be valid...

headdoctor 5 years, 1 month ago

thadrosen (Anonymous) says… headdoctr, PS: And why would you expect to be able to match an ad with different brands? It's called ad “Match”ing. I hope I don't encounter you in the line at Checkers or otherwise.

I guess your bowl of Cheerios just really got ruined today because I too have been shopping at Checkers since it was started and I am pretty sure over the years we may have bumped into each other.

As far as price matching I do know what that is and perhaps I should have explained better. Checkers has been known in the past to argue that even a generic brand at store X is not the same as generic brand at Checkers. They may not be doing that now but it has happened and I know they carry name brand items that can be matched but a lot of their product is stocked from an independent wholesaler which if they haven't changed their approach sort of renders the whole price matching except for name brands as just jive.

The concept and purpose of this weekly blog is for some reason beyond your ability to understand and it would appear that except for a few good links your only purpose is to disparage it. Either way I am done commenting on your posts.

mommydaycare 5 years, 1 month ago

linswri 5 years, 1 month ago

Jenn, I enjoy the heck out of this blog...please keep it up! I've saved tons of money using your ideas.

You rock!

Katara 5 years, 1 month ago

Well, I was able to find a good deal off the Checker's weekly ad and it is dependent on which product Checker's carries. Tony's frozen pizza is $.77/ea this week @ Checker's. If you match that sale with the $1/2 Tony's multi-serve pizza from the 10/4 SS insert, you can get them for $.27/ea.

See thadrosen, the above is how these types of threads work.

And since you religiously shop at Checker's, you can tell us about all the unadvertised (meaning not printed in the ad but still on sale that many stores do) sales there & tell us which coupons match up with it to make it a great deal.

And while it is nice that Checker's price matches, so does Target & the evil Walmart. On top of price matching at Target, you can stack the Target coupons with the manufacturer coupons to get the best deal possible.

Personally, price matching does not sell me on choosing a store to shop at. I find it a huge hassle.

thadrosen (Anonymous) says…

Read into it what you will. I'm merely a loyal shopper and prefer locally owned grocery to Super chains any day. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Dillon's is a Kansas based business. Its parent company is Kroger which is based out of Wichita.

Hy-Vee, while based out of Iowa, is hardly a superchain. It only serves MO, KS & IA. It is also employee-owned which makes a difference not only in how well the employees are treated (including their paycheck) but how the store operates. I appreciate a company that values their employees input.

Katara 5 years, 1 month ago

LadyJ (Anonymous) says… I cannot get coupons on either Kellogs or coupons.com to print. Installed coupon installer but still no luck. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ I have to use IE on certain coupon websites. I have no idea why. Firefox worked for the longest time and then it gives me a Java disabled message when I know Java is not disabled. I just switch browsers. It is kind of a pain and I hope they resolve it soon.

mommydaycare (Anonymous) says…

I have to say I agree about all the comments about Checkers and Hyvee. I also live SW of town and have no problem with children and all getting great deals at Checkers!! They have been around since 1987 and do too much not to be mentioned. As I said before, Target is not only place to shop in Lawrence. Let's give Checkers and Hyvee some much needed attention!!!!! ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Hy-Vee's deals just were not that great this week. I was a bit disappointed in them this week.

They have a limited ad in today's paper. It runs from today to Tuesday.

Wonder whole grain bread @ $.98 is a nice deal but it is limit 2

If I can locate any Chex's coupons, the $1.77 + coupon could be a nice deal, especially since I have been craving some Chex mix lately. Wish I could have picked up some of those cocktail peanuts they had on sale Thursday for $.99/can but they were cleaned out.

darkagent 5 years, 1 month ago

Katara (Anonymous) says…Dillon's is a Kansas based business. Its parent company is Kroger which is based out of Wichita.

darkagent (Anonymous) says…

It was based in Hutch. After the Kroger takover, its based in Cincinnati. Kroger, Wally, Target all huge corporations, with an underline under huge. Walgreen's is right in there with them. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Oooooo... it is a mass conspiracy. Don't worry I'm sure you can buy tinfoil locally and there is probably a coupon out there to so you can save some money.

thrifter 5 years, 1 month ago

Also, thanks for all the time and effort you put into this, Jenn!

thrifter 5 years, 1 month ago

As someone else already stated, if this type of blog/thread is so bothersome, why continue to read it? Jenn's focusing on the items that benefit her and her family, can you blame her?! She's a busy mom with two under-the-weather kids and probably a whole gamete of activities to fill her days. If there's a deal you feel deserves recognition, by all means, please add it! I'm sure others would love the heads up and to take advantage as well.

thrifter 5 years, 1 month ago

Have you tried restarting your computer? Sometimes it will reset your IP address and kick-start the process again. Good luck!

thrifter 5 years, 1 month ago

Katara says....

I think I might have seen something Chex related at coupons.com, but it might have only been for chex mix....

headdoctor 5 years, 1 month ago

thrifter (Anonymous) says… I don't know how many people know this, but you can also visit Dillons.com and clip coupons right to your shoppers card, either using the card number or your alternate id. Then when you go to the store and use that card to purchase the item, it takes it off automatically. You have the option to print them out or load them on, so I don't know if it would be an advantage either way (or whether Dillon's doubles them at the register as they would with printed coupons), but I like the idea of saving paper and ink, even if just a little bit!

Some of the loading of coupons such as using cards and cell fire are actually stackable with printed coupons I believe.

thrifter (Anonymous) says… and just to add more heat to the boiling pot, I don't think this would be considered free advertising for the stores. If you think about it, they probably wouldn't encourage couponing in such a way that their tills aren't filling up! Luckily, they DO accept coupons.

Yup. Sure the stores have to take the time to process the coupons and they have to wait for their money from the manufacturer but Retailers actually make money off of coupons. They get a handling fee for each. They are not losing money and in some cases once they get the money from the coupon have more profit per item than if it was sold without a coupon.

Katara 5 years, 1 month ago

thrifter (Anonymous) says… I think I might have seen something Chex related at coupons.com, but it might have only been for chex mix…. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Thanks for the head's up! I did find the Chex coupons though. The SS insert from 10/25 has $1/2 boxes. Combine those with the $10 off deal for purchasing 6 boxes of General Mills cereal & the catalina for the milk and it turns out to be a very tasty deal! :)

SuperJenn 5 years, 1 month ago

Katara - There are GM coupons I'm the special GM insert from 9/13.

These sites all will load coupons to your card: cellfire.com pgesaver.com shortcuts.com

There is also a unilever site but I don't know the addy off the top of my head.

You can also load coupons to your card at upromise.com. These "coupons" don't take money off of your bill but will deposit into your Upromise account when you purchase the item.

SuperJenn 5 years, 1 month ago

Katara is right, the retailers get reimbursed for the coupon amount. Doubled coupons that say "Do Not Double", store coupons and price matching are "losses" incurred by the retailer. I'm certain these things are figured into their pricing structure.

SuperJenn 5 years, 1 month ago

Oh sorry... Headdoctor was the one who commented on processing coupons :)

Katara 5 years, 1 month ago

SuperJenn (Jenn Hethcoat) says…

Katara - There are GM coupons I'm the special GM insert from 9/13.

There is also a unilever site but I don't know the addy off the top of my head.

You can also load coupons to your card at upromise.com. These “coupons” don't take money off of your bill but will deposit into your Upromise account when you purchase the item. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Cool! I prefer to use the earlier ones to stretch out the dates for later deals.

I'm signed up on all those sites. Those coupons actually stack on top of manufacturer coupons. I'm not exactly sure how they are able to do it but they certainly make it much cheaper.

Hy-Vee now participates in the Upromise program. They have the loyalty cards at the customer service desk.

Katara 5 years, 1 month ago

Had a good shopping trip today.

Walgreens: Shelf price - $48.78 Paid - $9.02 Saved - $39.76

Hy-Vee: Shelf price - $75.14 Paid - $13.04 Saved - $62.10

Dillons: Shelf price - $217.39 Paid - $77.84 Saved - $139.55

Total: Shelf price - $341.31 Paid - $99.90 Saved - $241.41

headdoctor 5 years, 1 month ago

I scooped up the cereal deal at HyVee. Six boxes of cereal, three cans of veggies, and two loaves of bread. I paid $1.86 including tax and still have the $6 Catalina coupon for milk.

As for Dillons I only saved 59% because I had to buy 5 items that didn't have coupons but hardly ever do. I bought $55.86 in groceries including tax and only paid $23.91.

SuperJenn 5 years, 1 month ago

I am so jealous! With all of the sickies in my house I haven't made it to the store yet! Luckily I've got a great stockpile to hold us over.

You both did so well! I love the power of the coupon!

SuperJenn 5 years, 1 month ago

Katara 5 years, 1 month ago

SuperJenn (Jenn Hethcoat) says… Just an update to the Target Toys deal I referenced above: the Target Toy coupon book is available online. This has $10/2 Wii games coupons which brings the overall price in the deal idea above to $20 per game. All kinds of coupons good thru Nov. 25. I haven't had time to post it here but you can find the article at SuperJenn.com. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Let us know if the Wii deal works. I definitely need to find someone to go in on this one.

When exactly does your deal idea end? November 25th or this Saturday with the end of the sales week?

SuperJenn 5 years, 1 month ago

Wii deal will end this Saturday. It is price matching a TRU sale and a Target Sale with the new coupon. I'm hoping to give it a run tomorrow... Thurs latest. I'll definitely share what happens.

Katara 5 years, 1 month ago

I was looking at the TRU ad online for this area since I don't have a copy & I noticed in the fine print that the buy 1 get 1 50% off only applies to games $19.99 or less. I think that deal can still work with the Target deal & with the $10/2 Target coupons but I don't have a TRU weekly ad to bring with me. I don't know if they accept the ad printed from the TRU website or not but I am going to ask customer service to see what their ruling is.

Possible deal on this could work out as:

6 games @ $19.99 = $119.94 Target B2G1 (2 games free would be $39.98) brings it to $79.96 TRU price match (3 games @ 50% would be $29.99) brings it to $49.97 With 3 Target coupons for $10/2 games ($30.00) = potentially $19.97 for 6 Wii games.

I don't know if this will work but I am going to ask Target customer service to see if it can be done and I will post results.

Katara 5 years, 1 month ago

Okay so I went to Target...

6 Wii games for $53.88. I got 5 @ $19.99 & 1 @ 14.99. I was able to use 3 - $10/2 Wii games with no problem with the B2G1.

However, price match was a no go because according to customer service, the store must be a local (meaning a store located in Lawrence) and there are no TRU stores here. Otherwise, they would not have had any problem with doing the price match with the other deals.

I'm pretty satisfied with the deal I got. The price match would have just made it even sweeter. Oh well.

SuperJenn 5 years, 1 month ago

One thing I hate is inconsistancy!!! I had no problem price matching at Target with the Toys R Us Big Book! It was released in the LJWorld and I believe that constitutes as a local ad.

I will see if I can get a manager to clarify this for me " on the record". BECAUSE... There are some crazy price matching deals on the toys in the book that match with Target Coupons... I'll be posting them on Sunday.

Two things about the Wii deal: First, (and I'll blame this on the whole newborn thing) the match up for B1G1 1/2 off was at HAstings and it was a 2 day sale (fri and sat).

Second: Target wouldn't match it because of their own special promotion.

I still got 6 games normally priced at $49.99 for $28 each so I'm pleased. I'm also pleased to report that Wii Sports Resort is as much fun as I heard it was!!

When it comes to price matching at Target you MUST have the actual print ad in hand. Katara, I think I have an extra if you are planning to do any toy shopping between now Nd Thanksgiving, it's worth it