LJWorld.com weblogs Seen it?

Comings and goings here at LJWorld.com

I'm very excited today to introduce you to Alex Parker, our new digital editor here at LJWorld.com.

Alex will replace Whitney Mathews, who you'll all remember left LJWorld.com and The World Company just before July 4 this year. It's taken us a little longer than we would have liked to replace Whitney, but it was important to us to have the right fit. Alex is the right fit.

Some of you may recognize Alex's names from his previous time at the World Company. He was our education reporter — coincidentally one of his clearest memories is reporting on the USD 497 decision to build new stadiums at its high schools — and then a reporter and web producer for our websites. One of the works I'll most remember from his time here was the multimedia story he did on a Fort Riley unit's preparation to deploy to Iraq.

Alex left us in 2009 and has worked for the Chi-Town-Daily News and the Chicago Reader before returning to Lawrence just this week. I'm really excited to be putting the LJWorld.com community in his hands.

With LJWorld.com in good hands, I feel like it's an appropriate time to announce news of my own. A few weeks ago, I let The World Company know I'd be leaving to take a new role at Public Radio International in Minneapolis, Minn. My last day is next Tuesday.

I've spent the past five years working here — and I've lived here for more than eight — and I cannot tell you all how thankful I am for all of the support and wisdom I've gained from working with the community here — both virtually on LJWorld.com and our other websites as well as in person in Lawrence. Leaving will be bittersweet for me; I'm sad to leave my friends and colleagues in Lawrence, as well as the community we have here, but I'm excited for the new opportunity.

So, thanks again, for being a fantastic community. And don't be surprised if you still see me lurking in the comments occasionally. There's a great community here and I just don't want to totally get away.

--Jonathan

Comments

wmathews 3 years, 3 months ago

Seriously - 20 minutes and no comments? Love ya, JK! Congrats and good luck!

jackpot 3 years, 3 months ago

JK Have you lost your head? Minn. in winter, have fun and good luck. Keep in touch.

Jonathan Kealing 3 years, 3 months ago

I keep telling myself the secret to winters in Minnesota is simply to embrace it. I'm considering buying cross country skis.

riverdrifter 3 years, 3 months ago

Often as not, Kansas has all the vices of winter and danged few of the virtues. The twin cities is a great town. You'll love it, JK.

ajacobs 3 years, 3 months ago

I think you should also get a St. Bernard and strap a small barrel of spirits under it's collar. You know, just in case.

Flap Doodle 3 years, 3 months ago

Chicago Reader? Did Alex get to meet Cecil?

Alex Parker 3 years, 3 months ago

Cecil Adams is a mysterious fellow, and never ventured into the newsroom. So, no, I never met him, but I learned a lot from him. Thanks for the comment, and I'm excited to be rejoining the Journal-World and the community in Lawrence.

RoeDapple 3 years, 3 months ago

Well I guess I can now add you to the music blog I just put up! Congrats JK! (Still time to pass the disapearededed button to me?)

Jonathan Kealing 3 years, 3 months ago

Thanks Roe. I expect you to keep things in order here. And I've told Alex to hear you when you suggest disappeardededing someone. I can't be responsible for whether he actually follows through, though.

schula 3 years, 3 months ago

Best of luck, JK! You will be missed!

Jonathan Kealing 3 years, 3 months ago

Thanks g_rock. I'll be on the digital side, so I'm not sure how much of me you'll be hearing. But you'll still see me in comments.

RoeDapple 3 years, 3 months ago

You will have to get the info to us so we can post/blog up there. You know where to find us ;-)

Marilyn Hull 3 years, 3 months ago

Jonathan:

Thank you so much for sharing your considerable talents with us. You have a very bright future! Best of luck.

Jonathan Kealing 3 years, 3 months ago

Thanks Marilyn. I've really enjoyed working with you to turn WellCommons into such a vibrant, helpful community. I can't wait to watch it continue to grow.

FlintHawk 3 years, 3 months ago

Good luck, Jonathan. Lawrence will miss you!

Welcome back, Alex! Can we have "thumbs up" and "thumbs down" buttons?

; P

Jonathan Kealing 3 years, 3 months ago

I'm going to miss Lawrence. It's a fantastic place.

Jonathan Kealing 3 years, 3 months ago

You're nothing but trouble, Bob. :-) Thanks for being a good guy. Not sure we ever got to Free State together. That's a major failure on my part.

trinity 3 years, 3 months ago

Dang, how many of 'em is this group of rowdies going to go through?? Best of luck to ya JK; you've my undying admiration for putting up with this crazazy outfit! :)

Jonathan Kealing 3 years, 3 months ago

You guys got to keep me for a long time. And I'll pop in and out for a while.

Sarah St. John 3 years, 3 months ago

Aghhhh, I'll miss you! You've been a huge help to me, even before I started doing OHT.. I'm sorry Dan and I didn't get to enjoy a few Ad Astras with you and your wife. THANK YOU for all the assistance, candor, cheerfulness, etc. You'll be a huge asset to PRI and I know you'll enjoy yourselves up there! Maybe we'll see you sometime as we pass through on our way to Fosston, where my sister is inexplicably retiring in a few years....

Jonathan Kealing 3 years, 3 months ago

I'm going to miss you too! Definitely let Anne and I know if you're coming through Minneapolis. Love to meet up.

Flap Doodle 3 years, 3 months ago

Alex, I'm sure you've been briefed on the in-jokes and the behavior of the usual suspects. We're mostly harmless.

Alex Parker 3 years, 3 months ago

Jonathan still has a few days to get me prepared, snap.

Bunny_Hotcakes 3 years, 3 months ago

If ever there was a use for the BREAKING NEWS bar! Gratz, Johnathan. Best of luck at the International House of Pancakes!

Oldsoul 3 years, 3 months ago

PRI sounds great--leaving KS for a place with a brain and heart.

rockchalker52 3 years, 3 months ago

Throw in some courage & you'd have a great movie. Oh, wait, turns out those things were always Kansas.

Best wishes for you & yours, JK.

Jonathan Kealing 3 years, 3 months ago

Thanks Oldsoul and Rockchalker. It'll be a new adventure for us, for sure. We'll miss Kansas, but excited for something new.

RoeDapple 3 years, 3 months ago

"OLD!! Why I'll dance on your grave sonny boy!" - George C. Scott as The Flimflam man . . .

Flap Doodle 3 years, 3 months ago

Biscuits without gravy are a cruel mockery.

riverdrifter 3 years, 3 months ago

You left off "whips 'n chains" Pywacket.

wmathews 3 years, 3 months ago

I have to love soccer, or my relationship would crumble. I have to hate mustard, because it is gross.

Jonathan Kealing 3 years, 3 months ago

Thanks DIST. Keep fighting the good fights.

pace 3 years, 3 months ago

I will miss your voice and observations. You combined a professional passion for accuracy with an understanding of the community. Thanks, sorry you are leaving.

Jonathan Kealing 3 years, 3 months ago

Thanks for the very nice compliment, pace. It's been a great challenge.

Jay_lo 3 years, 3 months ago

First dear Whitney Then JK Why must they all Just run away?

Guess greener pastures They do seek But their going Leaves us weak

JK, be missed Just like the Whit Hope you, like her Comment a bit

Send us you thoughts From Minnesnowta If you can find a brief iota

Glad we had The chance to meet At one of Ronda's Greet and Eat

We'll do our best As we did for you To make things fun For Alex too

We'll picture you As the years pass Standing in snow Up to your a$$

Best of Luck Jonathan, and welcome aboard Alex!

Jonathan Kealing 3 years, 3 months ago

A fine piece of poetry Jay_lo, thanks. It was good to meet you at Ronda's gathering. Cheers!

Cait McKnelly 3 years, 3 months ago

Good luck, Mr. Kealing! You will need to learn how to talk Minnesotan. (Just remember, anything that's not an actual entree is a "hot dish" and you'll get by until you learn the ropes. Knowing that will at least keep you from starving.) And thank you for not disappeareding me while you were here, even though I know I pushed a few buttons at times. :) Welcome, Mr. Parker! You'll find out what a crazy bunch we are but the truth is, most of us are salt of earth types and really good people. You'll get to know us over time and it will give you great experience in herding cats!

riverdrifter 3 years, 3 months ago

JK, best of luck. As stated above Minneapolis/St. Paul is two great towns joined at the hip. You'll love it there. Plus, just a short wonderful drive up I-35 you come to the great city of Duluth. Then, up 61 highway along the north coast of Lake Superior you come to Grand Marais. Beautiful country. I'm headed that way shortly to let the air out of some ruffed grouse. Again, my best -and you will be missed here.

Lawrence Morgan 3 years, 3 months ago

I've never met you in person, but I've been aware for some time of the good work you've been doing. I hope you like Minneapolis, but Lawrence, Kansas and Lawrnce (myself) will miss you.

KU_Dude 3 years, 3 months ago

Has Alex been warned about ecologicalarchitect, DonJuan, susanneg, Bronze, Coltrane, Spiderman, Cool..............???

Jonathan Kealing 3 years, 3 months ago

Thanks everyone for all of the well-wishes. As a going away present, I ask that you be nice to Alex. He'll need your help. :-)

RoeDapple 3 years, 3 months ago

Kinda what I was thinking Jesse. Some of the vultures around here will wait for Alex to stub his toe and be on him before he hits the ground. Got your back though Alex!

somedude20 3 years, 3 months ago

I would like to thank myself for being so great and I hope I do well in the future!! Go Spice Girls!!!

Tanya Spacek 3 years, 3 months ago

The key to staying happy in winters Up North is to bundle up and get outside as much as possible. Snowmobiles, cross-country skis, and sleds, all the way! There's nothing like snowmobiling into town for a drink on a dark winter afternoon. Just make sure you live close enough to walk back home if you need to.

Cait McKnelly 3 years, 3 months ago

Yo, Alex, I'm really happy for you and Ima let you finish but Jonathan had one of the best gigs at LJWorld EVAR!

conservative 3 years, 3 months ago

Good luck Jonathon. You've done a good job with a hard group. :) Alex I'm sure you'll do a good job in the future although the shoes you are filling are large. The one thing I'd love to see added to the comments section would be the addition of the ability to ignore selected users so you no longer see their posts. There are a few (one in particular) users who constantly cut and paste long posts onto a large number of topics. For those of us who primarily access the site through our phones it would be great not to have spend sooooooo much time scrolling through their posts.

Sigmund 3 years, 3 months ago

Kealing- You never did permanently disappeared my account no matter how times I asked you too and no matter how hard I tried. I shall never forgive you for that.

Boston_Corbett 3 years, 3 months ago

You will be told by a special someone that Mankato, Minnesota is not Mankato, Kansas. :) Good luck.

Boston_Corbett 3 years, 3 months ago

Make sure and give Alex the file on the beast with nine fingers. I am sure he will be tested.