Advertisement

LJWorld.com weblogs Operation 100 News blog

Four people treated after carbon monoxide detected in Lawrence apartment

Advertisement

Operation 100 News report

Medics treated four people for symptoms believed to be cause by carbon monoxide exposure this morning.

Lawrence-Douglas County Fire Medical crews were called an apartment at 1724 Ohio Street, just after 2:30 Sunday morning. The residents told dispatchers that the apartment's carbon monoxide detector was sounding and four people were feeling light headed.

Firefighters reported readings of 72ppm (parts per million) in the apartment and requested the gas company to respond.

Medics treated four people outside of the residence for slight headaches and light-headedness. It did not appear that anyone was transported from the scene by ambulance.

Carbon monoxide levels of 5 parts per million or less are considered normal household levels according to the EPA. Levels near properly adjusted gas stoves are often 5 to 15 ppm and those near poorly adjusted stoves may be 30 ppm or higher. Source

There has been no confirmation regarding what may have caused the elevated levels.

Also new this morning: Officer injured early Sunday in Lawrence

Stay with Operation 100 News on this blog and Twitter for updates as more details become available. Learn how to receive breaking news updates here. For a full look at incidents from Douglas and Johnson counties this morning, take a look at the Operation 100 News twitter feed using the link above.

Operation 100 News' listening hours as well as contact information is located on our Facebook page. Don't forget to give us a "Like" while you are there.

Comments

Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.