LJWorld.com weblogs Operation 100 News blog

Man struck by vehicle in Lawrence, transported to Kansas City by air ambulance

Link to original Operation 100 News report

Lawrence Police are investigating this morning after a person was struck by a vehicle near the SouthPointe Apartments.

Fire Medical crews were dispatched to an address in the 2300 block of W. 26th Street on a car versus pedestrian injury accident around 1:30 Saturday morning.

Initial reports from the scene were that there were three people injured. Medics arrived at the scene to find only one person with injuries. That person was determined to have serious injuries.

Around 1:50 a.m., a LifeStar Helicopter was requested to respond to the south parking lot of Holcom Park. Incident command reported that the helicopter landed safely in the Holcom Park parking lot at 2:08 a.m.. At 2:20 a.m. LifeStar left the scene headed for the University of Kansas Medical Center in Kansas City, Kansas.

Google Earth map. Markers are approximate.

Google Earth map. Markers are approximate. by Mike Frizzell

The vehicle that struck the pedestrian left the scene and was located a short distance away.

Sources tell Operation 100 News that the injured man is a 27-year-old and that he was involved in an argument while standing in the opening of a passenger's door. The driver of the vehicle began reversing and the open door knocked the man to the ground. He was not believed to have been struck by any part of the vehicle, other than the open door. The victim has reportedly been drinking and possibly had re-aggravated a previous back injury.

There were reportedly several witnesses to the accident.

Stay with Operation 100 News on this blog and Twitter for updates as more details become available. Learn how to receive breaking news updates here. For a full look at incidents from Douglas and Johnson counties this morning, take a look at the Operation 100 News twitter feed using the link above.

Operation 100 News' listening hours as well as contact information is located on our Facebook page. Don't forget to give us a "Like" while you are there.

Comments

somebodynew 1 year, 5 months ago

Mike, Good to see you back here. I haven't read anything from you for a little while. Always good to catch up on what is really going on.

BTW - the last I checked we lost our computer scanner link at RadioReference (or the new name of it) because the host moved. I checked and I could not take over, do you know of any other place to listen on-line??

Thanks, and while you don't normally deliver good news, I do hope to see you on here more. Always very informative.

Mike Frizzell 1 year, 5 months ago

I took some time off last week, July 4-11 so I may have missed something during that time. There really has not been that much going on lately. Which is good, for everyone who isn't in the news business.

As for the RadioReference/Broadcastify scanner feed. I know the previous feed provider and he had to move out of state. In about the last week or two a new feed provider has stepped up. I have not talked to that person or had much of a chance to listen to the new feed yet. From the description at least, it appears to monitor about the same things as the previous one. Lawrence Police are not listed in the description but, they are dispatched on the same talkgroup as the Sheriff's Deputies. http://www.broadcastify.com/listen/feed/4597

Thanks for reading!

somebodynew 1 year, 5 months ago

Thanks Mike. I hope you had a good time off. And thanks for the info !!

Dan Klamet 1 year, 5 months ago

I've driven over there several times in the past two weeks in the evening and EVERY time, there's a pack of people walking down the middle of the street. Next to a sidewalk.

John Kyle 1 year, 5 months ago

I put my faith in the doctors, nurses and emt's.

bearded_gnome 1 year, 5 months ago

Stay with Operation 100 News on this blog and Twitter for updates as the storms move across the county.

---storms? alcoholic storms?

... glad you're back Mike!

Newell_Post 1 year, 5 months ago

LifeStar Helicopter flight = $20,000. Probably no insurance.

jafs 1 year, 5 months ago

I'm not sure why they needed to helicopter them to KC, given the description of the incident here.

Is LMH not able to handle these sorts of injuries? Somebody got knocked to the ground by a car door, and wasn't described as in "critical" condition. The car was just backing up, not going 60mph on a highway at the time.

Lisa Medsker 1 year, 5 months ago

Our protocol usually involves the Glasgow Coma Scale. Anything less than 10 gets flown, if more than fifteen minutes away from a Level I Trauma Center by ground. Time is brain, and the "golden hour" that applies in heart attacks also applies to TBI or spinal injury.
Mechanism of injury protocol says that any vehicle vs. pedestrian over 15 m.p.h., a fall from a distance that equals twice the height of the victim, or a GCS score is less than ten is a Level I Trauma, and must be treated at aforementioned Trauma Center. LMH is NOT a Level I Trauma Center, since they lack a 24-hour neurosurgeon. We have treated a patient that slid off of the hood of a car going LESS THAN 10 m.p.h., and his GCS on scene was 9. We flew him anyway. Our patient was at the Trauma Center and under the knife is about 80 minutes. He didn't make it. Know what John Q. Public threw a fit about with that one? Not the insurance. The fact that the newspaper photo made it look like we were "enjoying our jobs". It doesn't matter what we do to save lives, (or in this case, comfort a patient...), someone's gonna cry about it. Just part of the job.

Lisa Medsker 1 year, 5 months ago

Hehe! You're welcome, and I did notice! Too many people have seen "Bringing Out the Dead", and tend to presume that we aren't professionals, that we all do nerw, deadly, designer heroin, that an EMT is the same thing as a Paramedic, or that either job only takes a week or so of school, that we only "drive ambulances", and run around willy-nilly, making decisions based on "whether we feel like it". Kinda annoys me!

bearded_gnome 1 year, 5 months ago

protesting the use of the Life Flight chopper? substituting your judgment for that of the onscene pros?

really?

guess it's too bad Jafs ' great wisdom isn't more often employed.

jafs 1 year, 5 months ago

I simply questioned the need, based on the story and information given.

Also, in my experience, many in the medical field make mistakes all of the time - they're not infallible by any means, and we shouldn't think of them as perfect.

Given more information, I might agree that it was necessary.

bearded_gnome 1 year, 5 months ago

you only get one brain. it doesn't grow back. damage sticks. erring on the side of caution surely makes sense. sure medicos make mistakes, but erring on the side of caution is never wrong n this kinda situation!

bearded_gnome 1 year, 5 months ago

you only get one brain. erring on the side of caution is never wrong. sure medicos make mistakes but to err in this direction is never a mistake.